Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Mustang GT, miata, BMW Z4 and Honda S2000 I want to experience Corvette. I am willing to spend about 33-35K. I have done alot of research and have arrived at the following conclusion:
It will be either an O4 C5 Z06 (possibly commemorative edition) or an 08 C6. I need feedback from those of you who have actually driven both . Car will be a DD and some play time on weekends. No track time!

I am looking at the 08 C6 since it has the "better" engine than earlier C6 models. I love the look of the Brembo calipers on the Z06 but as I understand it the older Z06 and the newer C6 are pretty equal as far as handling.

I know the C6 has an improved overall design,

Just not sure which way to go. BTW: The C6 will have the Z51 and 3LT.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
from a pure performance standpoint, the 2 will be very very close. The '08 Z51 has more hp, but the '04 Z06 is lighter and has better gearing.

The LS3, imo, is a better engine than the LS6.

I would take a drive in each and see which you like better. It will probably come down to which you like the feel and looks of more since they are so close on performance.

Personally, I like the styling of the C6 more than the C5, and think the interior of the C6 has a far more modern feel than the C5- which to me screams early/mid 90's....which is funny because I have a C5 Z51 lol. As much as I want a C6, especially a Grand Sport, I am going to stick with my C5 because it will be paid for in a few months and my wife needs a larger family vehicle.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've had both c5 (non z) and a c6 coupe; however, I played with a friend at the track with his c5z and my c6 coupe and I beat him all day long. The ergonomics and feel of the c6 are far better than the c5 and in my opinion the c6 looks better than the c5. This is just my opinion. Also, for your budget, if you can swing 39-40k you can get into a really nice 06 c6 z06. Good luck with your decision. :thumbsup:

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
There are no Brembo brakes on ZO6's. Brembo's are on the ZR1. If you are road racing I would take a C5 Z. If you are a cruiser. Then the C6 might be better. The name of the brake company for the ZO6 is PBR.

Jr.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
There are no Brembo brakes on ZO6's. Brembo's are on the ZR1. If you are road racing I would take a C5 Z. If you are a cruiser. Then the C6 might be better. The name of the brake company for the ZO6 is PBR.

Jr.
:agree:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Also, for your budget, if you can swing 39-40k you can get into a really nice 06 c6 z06. Good luck with your decision. :thumbsup:
I think low 40's is a more realistic goal for a clean 06 Z06. The ones in the high 30's are usually salvage cars.

Having said that, save your nickels. It is worth the extra few grand, from your budget. The C6Z06 is a mother!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Another consideration is the removable top on the C6 versus fixed roof on the Z- this is why I have a C6Gs and Zo6

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think low 40's is a more realistic goal for a clean 06 Z06. The ones in the high 30's are usually salvage cars.

Having said that, save your nickels. It is worth the extra few grand, from your budget. The C6Z06 is a mother!

picked up my 2008 Z06 with 42k miles a couple weekends ago for $39k ;)

and she is suuuuuper clean. actually bought it from a digital corvettes member and found it here.

·
Registered
502 Posts

and she is suuuuuper clean. actually bought it from a digital corvettes member and found it here.
:agree: There are a lot of good deals out there now. I hope they're still around when I'm ready for mine.

·
Registered
846 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase. I would not call 42K super clean, but that is just me.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The 08 is a super fine car,

It will probably be the best car you have ever owned in your entire life,

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. I would not call 42K super clean, but that is just me.
Hey....no pissing on a guy's parade, buddy! :spanked:

I am also in the market for a Z06. And I may also have to get a higher mileage, lower priced C6 Z06 to get my payments where I need them. Paying for my wife's Lexus and my Tundra means I need a more manageable note. And as much as my wife will say that I should...I am NOT willing to sell my Yamaha R1 for cash toward the Z06.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts

by clean i was referring to the immaculate shape it's still in. to me the 42,000 number on it is just a number. i don't see the car falling apart any time soon. and it's in better shape than most cars with 10k miles. i am very happy with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey....no pissing on a guy's parade, buddy! :spanked:

I am also in the market for a Z06. And I may also have to get a higher mileage, lower priced C6 Z06 to get my payments where I need them. Paying for my wife's Lexus and my Tundra means I need a more manageable note. And as much as my wife will say that I should...I am NOT willing to sell my Yamaha R1 for cash toward the Z06.

:rolleyes:
ultimately that's what i chose to do too. i kind of had a number in which i wanted no more than X amount of miles as long as it looked new and the price is right. the car i bought still listed for 45k on kbb.com. i feel i got a pretty good deal. good luck on your search.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
by clean i was referring to the immaculate shape it's still in. to me the 42,000 number on it is just a number. i don't see the car falling apart any time soon. and it's in better shape than most cars with 10k miles. i am very happy with it.
Good for you :thumbsup: enjoy your purchase. I understood your post as I believe most did.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Anyway......back to the OP.

The C5 Z is an incredible car. Your budget indicates that you are looking at low mileage examples of the C5 Z06. If not, you can pick up a high mileage (42k-2001) C5 Z06 for $21K. This is not a bad option and it is an awesome car. My first Vette was purchased with 51k on the clock and I sold it with 83K, and I never had trouble with it. I can't argue against the awesomeness of the C5 Z06 and support your interest there.

But....since you are also considering the C6 coupe, I am thinking that you are not necessarily married to the C5 design. If that is the case, I encourage you to save your nickels a bit longer and look into the C6 Z. Low mileage examples of the 06's and 07's are running between $42k and $45k right now. As we have seen, high mileage examples are trading in the high $30's. This is an awesome car for the money, at any price.

·
Registered
752 Posts
While I have never had a C6 I must say I just bought a fully modified (430+whp, custom wheels, custom interior, lowered suspension) for very low 20s. It is an amazing car. So the point I am making, you could find a very powerful and very nice C5Z for cheaper than you could a C6.

Either way, you will have a great car on your hands.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Although I am not a expert but I will always try to find a newish car as it would have the lastest in technology.

I was in the market for a corvette after giving up my motorcycle. I had a budget of $20K (or so I thought) and found many C4's and the odd C5 for that $ which were nice and test drove OK.

As I shopped around I found a 05 C6 with 10K on her at a dealer who did not want to store it for the winter (I live in Canada) I fell in love with the car and so did my wife, which was the key to increasing my budget. I offered him $35K on the road which the dealer agreed too. I did a bit of juggling to find the additional $15K but the car was worth the extra expense.

The C6 is a superior car in everyway. It handles perfect and the ride is smooth.

I am convinced that the auto engineers do try to improve their cars and the I am also convinced "the newer the better"

The older generation corvettes drive like a bucket of bolts compared to the C6. Hopefully I can afford a C7 when it finally comes out. Until then the C6 is the best corvette built.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts