Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a real hard time deciding between a C6 and a new Camaro. I really like the look of the new camaro and the SS runs decent. To me the Camaro is a muscle car and the Corvette is more of a real sports car. The Camaro is more practical. Lastly, my wife and I may start a family in near the future. I could put a car seat in the Camaro, but not the Corvette. I would love input from anyone who has owned both or been in a similar situation.

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
The Camaro is sweet choice, personally I'd have one over a C6 even if kids weren't in the picture.

They can be made to handle very well, despite their weight, with some suspension mods. Interiors are nice and the '11s can be optioned with HUD.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Kids or not, really make sure your wife is able to see out of the Camaro. My brother-in-law and I looked at the Camaros, but there was an 18 month wait at the time, so we both bought Challengers for our wives. 6 months later, the ladies both admitted that they couldn't see out them, particularly backing out of the driveway. We happened to replace the Challengers with C6/A6s, but that is not the point. The wives weren't/didn't feel safe in the cars because of the high belt-lines and huge C-pillers, 2 features shared by the Challenger and Camaro.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
just do what my wife and i do- i have the vette, she has the family vehicle lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife has the SUV and doesn't work, so I would not be transporting a kid in my car often. She wants me to buy whatever will make me happy. I like both cars and have been going back and forth. A nice used Vette would probably lose less value than a new Camaro. As far as seeing out, she already can't see out of my 350Z.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
My wife has the SUV and doesn't work, so I would not be transporting a kid in my car often. She wants me to buy whatever will make me happy. I like both cars and have been going back and forth. A nice used Vette would probably lose less value than a new Camaro. As far as seeing out, she already can't see out of my 350Z.
Nothing to stop you from putting a child in a Corvette. The new ones have the button to turn the air bag off, I believe. My son rides in the C5 all the time and loves it on those rare occasions when I drop him off at school in it.

That being said, if you want both you AND your wife to have something fun to drive, the Camaro would be a great choice. Keep in mind that it is an absolute pain to put them in that car seat for the first few years as you try to crane over and buckle them in. Personally, I found it easier to put him in the front seat of the C5 than the back seat of my wife's Blazer.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,563 Posts
Thr Camaro is a good choice but the key word is "MAY" start a family. You haven't yet and the wife said whatever makes you happy. If you want a Vette and it is in the budget, go for it

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Thr Camaro is a good choice but the key word is "MAY" start a family. You haven't yet and the wife said whatever makes you happy. If you want a Vette and it is in the budget, go for it
:agree: :agree: :agree:

I am a wife and would much rather be in a Vett than a Camaro.
That is why I drive a truck :devil: :devil: :devil:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm having a real hard time deciding between a C6 and a new Camaro. I really like the look of the new camaro and the SS runs decent. To me the Camaro is a muscle car and the Corvette is more of a real sports car. The Camaro is more practical. Lastly, my wife and I may start a family in near the future. I could put a car seat in the Camaro, but not the Corvette. I would love input from anyone who has owned both or been in a similar situation.
All I can tell you is that the Camaro was a disappointment to me when I test drove it. The C6 and the Camaro are totally different so there is no comparison. At the risk of getting flamed and burned to a crisp, I say if you like a muscle/pony car, drive the 2011 Mustang GT. Of course, if you really like the idea of the Camaro SS and love the bowtie, do not, under any circumstances drive the Mustang GT. It will ruin the Camaro for you :cheers:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input. Would love a CTS-v, but it's too much cash. I drove a 2011 Mustang 5.0 and it felt faster than the Camaro, but I still don't like it as well. Love the looks of the Camaro (and Corvette). The Camaro and Corvette are very different driving experiences, but I like both. I think I will drive them both again tomorrow and try to decide.

One last bit of info. I drive about 25 miles each way to get to work. Does anyone think that makes a difference.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for the input. Would love a CTS-v, but it's too much cash. I drove a 2011 Mustang 5.0 and it felt faster than the Camaro, but I still don't like it as well. Love the looks of the Camaro (and Corvette). The Camaro and Corvette are very different driving experiences, but I like both. I think I will drive them both again tomorrow and try to decide.

One last bit of info. I drive about 25 miles each way to get to work. Does anyone think that makes a difference.
Yes, you'll be happier driving those miles in a Vette :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
If the wife is playing the family thing, act fast and purchase the Vette.
Just bring it home, she will get over it.
If you let the debate last for any amount of time you won't end up getting either one.
You will eventually end up with a boat parked behind your garage.

I have seen this situation happen many, many times with several close friends.

Vette, Wife - no - Family toy only.
Camaro, Wife - no - Family toy only.
Harley, Wife - no - Family toy only.

Here comes the 20' boat!
Act fast or Happy sailing! :laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I was in exactly your position in 1980. I had a '77 Vette and was still in school. My wife drove the Vette to work and I drove an old junker to school. It was not reliable enough for her to drive. So when our first was born, we had to trade in the Vette for a real car. The difference here is that we were dirt poor and couldn't afford a second reliable car. If you will be driving it, your wife has a decent car, and she's OK with it, I say get the Vette. I've had a '69 Z28 and 3 Vettes, and the Vette is more fun, hands down.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I was trying to be neutral before, now that I realize you will be the primary driver, definitely go with the Vette. I'm 6' and found the Camaro to be clostrophobic. The new Challenger that we had was an R/T with 400 ft-lbs of torque and was 3931 lbs. Only about 100 lbs heavier than the SS Camaro with almost the same power. Even though it was lowered with Eibach springs and handled better than stock, you never forgot you were in a heavy car. I would think the Camaro is similar. The Challenger trunk was big, by comparison, I don't know if a car seat would even fit in the trunk of the Camaro if you needed the room inside.

I haven't seen the production numbers for 2010, but there will be 8 or 9 Camaros for every new Vette. In 2000, I bought a new Camaro SS. When I showed it to my Vette buddy, he said, "Great, you're almost there", meaning I almost got to a Vette.

A nice used Covette will always be worth more than a nice used Camaro. I've had 77, 85 and 2000 Camaros and I still always wanted a new Vette. The C6 we have now is light steering, airey inside, stops and goes effortlessly and is great to drive long distance. Do what makes you happy. All of this is subjective and personal choice anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought a 2011 2SS RS Camaro yesterday. Thanks for the input. Maybe a Corvette next time:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts