Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
C6 Outside Temp incorrect
It has been 80 to 85 degrees all day yet the Outside Temperature will only read 65 degrees. I am assuming this is why the air conditioner will not kick on as it assumes it is already 65 degrees and not the actual 85 or higher that it is. This is on a 2007 C6 with only 556 miles. The dealer was of no help. Is there some way to resent this or is this a known problem?

Thanks
Dave Wright

·
Registered
759 Posts
What do you mean the dealer was "no help"??? :WTF

Tell them to fix it. simple as that.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Don't let the dealer get away with that BS. The car is under full factory warranty, and they have to fix it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
65 now 69

So it is 92 degrees outside today and the temp now reads 69 up from the 65 yeterday when it was 88 degrees. Talked to the dealer and had them sit in the car in 92 degrees and read the display that said it was 69, they claim they have never seen this before but have an appointment this week to take it in.

I was really wanting there to be some magic button push reset for this but it does not sound like this is a common problem.

dw

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sounds to me like the external temp sensor (or OAT [outside air temp] sensor) is registering an improper impedence. This could be caused by a faulty sensor or pigtail connector. I'm not 100% sure where is it on a C6, but on a C5 the sensor is located under the nose of the car on the passenger side of the radiator cavity just above the air dam. The external temp sensor does affect the operation of the HVAC system. For example, if the temp reading is less than ~38*F, the AC will not be allowed to turn on. In fact, even if you set the HVAC to the coolest setting of 60*F, the system will not blow cold air (only fresh outside air) since the AC is disabled. The dealer is probably not going to find any trouble codes because the computer doesn't realize there is a problem. The sensor costs less than 20 bucks, so request the dealer to swap it out if they can't isolate another problem. Also, the display will not update if the car was started less than 3 hours ago. You need to drive it above 20 MPH for 90 seconds or above 45 MPH for 60 seconds for the system to reset.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks on reset

Thanks for the tip on the sensor, going to suggest that with the dealer this week. Did not know about the reset so attempted that this morning.
At 82 degrees outside, console reading 61 degrees for about 20 minutes. After being on the freeway for 10 miles at about 60mph the console reading moved up quickly to 82. So I wonder now if it is just not the sensor. Wonder if this will work with the commute home.

thanks again
dw

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
inside temp not correct for about 20 minutes

From what I can tell now it looks as if the inside temp will not be correct until after I am on the freeway for about 10 miles. Until then the inside temp indicated would be low by 20 - 35 degrees lower than it actually is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like a problem with one of the sensors or the wires. Sometimes those problems are hard to find. But that's why you have a warranty. Tell the dealer to fix it. You shouldn't have to drive 20 minutes before it registers correctly and you get the proper cooling in the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts