Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Everybody I have been driving corvette since 1990 my current corvette is a 2007 C6 z51 auto, 12.9, 110 mph stock, I like the hell out it so far the only mods I have is BB bullet exhaust system, varam in take, and MTI tune. the car runs great. My best 1/4 time with these mods was 12.7 at 113 mph

However after about a month of driving with these mods I noticed my car would stalled a little as I took off from a dead stop but then as the car got going I would feel the power. this happens every now and then. and the tramission shifts were somtime sluggish. I also noticed there was more than normal black sulfur on the end of my exhaust pipes.

I then started to check the intake Filter and Mass air flow sensor I read an article that talk about keeping both the area clean. somtimes the mass air flow sensor can get a build up deposits on the tiny wires located inside the sensor. this in return will cause the sensor not to read the in coming air flow correctly and cause poor performance from the engine. I also noticed when I look at my Mass air flow sensor, there was no screen on the in coming air side apparently the Tech who installed my Varam intake removed the screen for the installation. I was told later that this would increase air flow to the engine and increase horsepower. so I did not think that much of it. I cleaned my air flow sensor by spraying the inside of it with STP intake cleaner and let it air dry I also clean my air filter. I put everything back together Boy the car ran great for a couple of weeks and then I started to have the same problem as I mention above.

I started to read more above this problem on the internet and found out that C6 LS2 engine needs the air flow screen on the front the Mass air flow sensor in order for the PCM computer to correctly read the air flow going into the engine GM program the C6 PCM that way. the air flow screen slows the incoming air at a controlled rate so the computer will give the LS2 engine the correct fuel rate along with the correct timing other wise without the screen the calibration of fuel and air flow would be missed read.

I decided to try an experiment.I went to the Chev/parts department and brought a new Mass air flow sensor for the 2007 C6, ( make sure you get the correct one for your year model) it cost me about $ 145 dollars, I then installed it and drove the car for 80 miles in two days so that the PCM computer can relearn it self. let me tell you my low end response became very powerful and after driving this way for two weeks I got better gas mileage the car does not stalled on the low end it just flat out runs a lot better it is a total different animal.

I then went to the track for a 1/4 time Oh my God I ran a best of 12.4 at 115 mph, The car just flat out runs better.......

·
Registered
267 Posts
So, did you need the new maf or just the screen???

If you just put the screen on your old maf would you have run as well?

Nice run BTW:thumbsup:

Howard

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C6 owner

No..... I did not need a new Mass Flow sensor. I only brought it because I did not have my screen,.... and money is no object.... I just want a new stock Mass Flow Sensor, just to see if my car would improve in its performance...and belive me it did. my car low end response and drivabilty is much improved the car is just fun to drive

·
Registered
740 Posts
Have an 05 C6 Coupe with A4 transmission. Flowmaster Cat Back, Corsa X-Pipe, Halltech CAI, Vararam TB Spacer, and stock MAF w/out screen. Have had no issues with hesitation. It will shred the tires in 1st, and get some in 2nd. Maybe I've just been lucky.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
C6 owner

I am glad you are not having any issues with your 05 C6 with the A4 transmission, also the Mass air flow sensor for the 05 C6 is different part number than the 06-07 C6 also the the PCM for the 06-07 C6 is very different and the A6 transmission has it own PCM . All I know is GM Techs are advising that the Mass air screen is needed on the LS2 for the PCM to give the correct fuel/timing to the engine. I am now getting better drivability on the low end the car just flat out runs better.

·
Super Moderator
10,159 Posts
Seems like a Predator program should have been able to neutralize that no-screen impact, and yield more power from the increased air flow. Ran my 87 L98 with no screens + K&N and a power chip for 20 years. Big performance improvement.

Haven't removed the screens yet from the C6. Need to find out if it would void my 7 year warranty. I don't want to spring for a dealer-trip-MAF at this point.

·
Registered
347 Posts
you can always clean a MAF with brake parts cleaner and a q-tip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts