Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to see a new C6 (blue) being detailed today and I have to tell you the paint job looked like ****. The orange peel was beyond belief.

GM should hang their head in shame. I can't believe that GM can't put a quality paint job on a car. I guess the American Auto Iindustry either don't have the talent to come up with a better system or their just cheap.

The owner has had a number of other Vettes and said he does love this car other than the paint job.

I could make a few other comments about the quality of materials used , but I'm sure most are aware of these problems.

Has anyone tried wet sanding the C6 without going thru the clear?

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
billcar670 said:

That shows me what an authority on paint you are.

My LM Blue paint job is flawless!

Am I using the right wax yet? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: C6 Paint

stanleyp said:
That shows me what an authority on paint you are.

My LM Blue paint job is flawless!

Am I using the right wax yet? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Some people of different standards on what they consider quality :cheers:

I saw what I saw and the paint job was ****. Are you saying you have no orange peel in your paint :huh:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Mine has no orange peel. Going back and forth in between it and my wifes 04 BMW the C6 holds its own pretty well on paint quality. The BMW has better gaps though that are all exactly (to the naked eye, not as measured with equipment) the same. Not so the vette. The gap for the passenger door for instance is not the same as the hood. You have to be looking for it to see it but its there.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Damn, the orange peel on my LMB Z51 6spd has limited my top speed to 185mph. I'm so pissed! :rolling: :rolling: :cheers:

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've been able to get up close and personal with Silver, Black, Mag Red, Precision Red, and Mil Yellow.

The Silver seems to be the best overall quality out of all. The other colors were fine on the horizontal (top) flat surfaces, but had poor vertical surface paint with alot of orange peel.

I'd really like to see a worthy paint job on the new Vette's. Seems like GM needs to go back to some hands on finishing, even if it means a price increase.

So how's the C6 holding up to color sanding?? :huh:

C'ya
D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the Mag Red and I have to tell you this is the BEST paint job I have ever had......Absolutely Fantastic. I have been over this car every inch ... GM Thanks,GREAT JOB .......

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Out of the 3 C6s I've seen (MY, DSOM, & Black) NONE of them had ANY orange peal.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I got lucky I guess The paint on my Daytona Sunset Orange is perfect. I did however see a silver C6 last week at the dealership. The car was out in the sun and the paint job was so horrible that my wife even noticed how bad it was. :thud:

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Bill:
I must admit I'm a nit-picker, but, close inspection of my LM Blue realy DOES show a super-quality finish. I can't explain why one car is lousy and another is perfect.

As long as there is a clear-coat over the paint, there's nothing you can do to fix the paint underneath.

If the paint job is bad, scream, hollar, threaten bodily harm, if nec. and get the dealer to repaint the car WITHOUT clear coat. Then you can fix, polish, buff to your heart's content down the road.

·
Registered
253 Posts
billcar670 said:
I had the opportunity to see a new C6 (blue) being detailed today and I have to tell you the paint job looked like ****. The orange peel was beyond belief.

GM should hang their head in shame. I can't believe that GM can't put a quality paint job on a car. I guess the American Auto Iindustry either don't have the talent to come up with a better system or their just cheap.

The owner has had a number of other Vettes and said he does love this car other than the paint job.

I could make a few other comments about the quality of materials used , but I'm sure most are aware of these problems.

This poor horse has been whipped about 18 times...DONT LIKE IT DONT BUY IT ...2005 PRECISION RED....PERFECT...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have looked at various C6 cars at dealers that are perfect and others are with orange peel in areas. If the one you want has orange peel just tell dealer you will only buy or take delivery if repaired. Dealer gets payed from GM.

·
Registered
118 Posts
orange peel

I just happen to be putting on my first coat of wax last nite and I was very disapointed with the amount of orange peel on the doors and fenders and rear quaters i am with you on this one and gm has the nerve to charge a $750 dollar upcharge for paint. By the way it is a m yellow c6:agree:

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of a C6 with orange peel?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
stanleyp said:
Bill:
As long as there is a clear-coat over the paint, there's nothing you can do to fix the paint underneath.
I think you are wrong here. A good wet sand can make all the difference.

stanleyp said:
If the paint job is bad, scream, hollar, threaten bodily harm, if nec. and get the dealer to repaint the car WITHOUT clear coat. Then you can fix, polish, buff to your heart's content down the road.
A repaint is not the quality of application as at the factory due to temperature used at the factory for baking. Repaints will tend to chip must easier..

I'm not a painting expert, but I believe what I have said rings true.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
funshipone said:
I have looked at various C6 cars at dealers that are perfect and others are with orange peel in areas. If the one you want has orange peel just tell dealer you will only buy or take delivery if repaired. Dealer gets payed from GM.
And you get a sub-standard fix with a dealer repaint.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a machine silver coupe coming in that was built about 8 days ago, and you can bet that I will inspect it before I hand over my money. If the paint is bad, then the deal is off. I'll buy or order another Vette. I would NEVER buy a car that needed repairs to the paint before I even owned it.

Dave

·
Registered
176 Posts
DJCrispin said:
I have the Mag Red and I have to tell you this is the BEST paint job I have ever had......Absolutely Fantastic. I have been over this car every inch ... GM Thanks,GREAT JOB .......
my meg red paint is perfect also!! I worked in a body shop for 2 years-sprayed many cars-it does not get any better than my vette!!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
discusdave said:
I have a machine silver coupe coming in that was built about 8 days ago, and you can bet that I will inspect it before I hand over my money. If the paint is bad, then the deal is off. I'll buy or order another Vette. I would NEVER buy a car that needed repairs to the paint before I even owned it.

Dave
Seems like I have seen less complaints of the paint on silver than any of the other colors. Mine has none. Oh, good color choice. hehe

1 - 20 of 54 Posts