Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a 2006 Z06 (used). How do I know if this was one of the recalled vehicles having the roof delamination problem. My understanding is that the "free" inspection by a GM dealer was only good through March 2007.

The sellers response when I asked was "the roof looks fine"??

One bulletin said 2006 VIN's 6510000 - 65100046
Another bulletin said 2006 VIN's 65100001 - 65131106

VIN on this vehicle 65112030

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
you can have the service dept run a VISS and it will show the service history. all you need is the vin and one of the servie advisors can do it for you.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can have the service dept run a VISS and it will show the service history. all you need is the vin and one of the servie advisors can do it for you.
Thanks, I will do that. But there is no easy way to determine if it was even one of the recalled vehicles based on its VIN?

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
I am looking at buying a 2006 Z06 (used). How do I know if this was one of the recalled vehicles having the roof delamination problem. My understanding is that the "free" inspection by a GM dealer was only good through March 2007.

The sellers response when I asked was "the roof looks fine"??

One bulletin said 2006 VIN's 6510000 - 65100046
Another bulletin said 2006 VIN's 65100001 - 65131106

VIN on this vehicle 65112030
My 05 C6 is original, and it looks fine to me too. Other than a creek once in a while on a hot day, it's really hard to tell if it's bad or not. That's a tough question for the seller to answer, but being it's a 2006, you would think if there was a problem it would have surfaced by now. I guess some owners have put their hand on the under side and pushed up, some pop loose, some don't.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My understanding is that the recall applied to ALL 06C6s, after the initial service bulletin initially only applied to certain vin numbers. My roof was foamed earlier this year, then failed a few weeks ago completely after the foam job. See my other thread--I am now battling with the dealer becuase they painted the replacement and it is a couple shades off my DSOM color.

The original notice was a service bulletin--but it became a recall and that has different rules. If I am correct, the recall applies - period, and if the roof is delaminating it will be repaired or replaced depending on how far gone it is.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
My understanding is that the recall applied to ALL 06C6s, after the initial service bulletin initially only applied to certain vin numbers. My roof was foamed earlier this year, then failed a few weeks ago completely after the foam job. See my other thread--I am now battling with the dealer becuase they painted the replacement and it is a couple shades off my DSOM color.

The original notice was a service bulletin--but it became a recall and that has different rules. If I am correct, the recall applies - period, and if the roof is delaminating it will be repaired or replaced depending on how far gone it is.
tell them to forget it! give you a glass top and be done with it. i did that on my 06 because i did not want any paint work done on my car. i traded my 05 in because of the top

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
tell them to forget it! give you a glass top and be done with it. i did that on my 06 because i did not want any paint work done on my car. i traded my 05 in because of the top
I don't think he is going to get a glass top for a Z06. It the price is right I wouldn't hesitate in the purchase.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I don't think he is going to get a glass top for a Z06. It the price is right I wouldn't hesitate in the purchase.

he doesn't have a Z06. i got mine for 350.00. it was the difference between the pure cost of a top 1195.00 and the paint repair 745.00. for 350 i will buy a glass top all day.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
he doesn't have a Z06. i got mine for 350.00. it was the difference between the pure cost of a top 1195.00 and the paint repair 745.00. for 350 i will buy a glass top all day.
I am looking at buying a 2006 Z06....so the glasss top probably wouldn't work. I'll have a dealer run a VISS and hope for the best.

thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I am looking at buying a 2006 Z06....so the glasss top probably wouldn't work. I'll have a dealer run a VISS and hope for the best.

thanks for the replys.
your right the glass wont work, i was talking about texasc5 with the dsom coupe

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
As the original poster just stated he is looking to purchase a 06 Z06. I was comment was that a glass top won't help on that car. Perhaps you should re-read the whole thread. :cheers:

·
Registered
565 Posts
As the original poster just stated he is looking to purchase a 06 Z06. I was comment was that a glass top won't help on that car. Perhaps you should re-read the whole thread. :cheers:
My non-z creaks when I back out wheels cranked to not scrape the valence--:WTF , but the noise is the headliner part attached to the panel. No sign of the panel itself creaking. I'm not taking it in unless I get a new roof, screw that foam bs that doesn't last on some cars. All '06s are affected is my understanding--to include Zs. Take it's vin and have it checked out is the best advice. :thumbsup:

(If it wasn't, remember you can still get it done after you buy it. Warranty covers subsequent buyers, as well.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts