Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Has anyone bought the 05-07 ROOF PANEL WALL HANGER from Zip Products? Is $68. I wonder what people think of it.

I have dual roofs on my new C6 and I'd like to store one panel on my garage wall when its not being used. I heard about bicycle hooks but I want to get somethnig thats strong and won't have a chance of falling.

Can you tell me how the panel is supported by the bracket? The only place I see that the panel can be hung is by the pegs that go to the rear part of the panel. The ones that have a ball at the end. Is that where it hangs from?

I'm kinda concerned about how well the panel is supported by this wall bracket. Thats why I'm checking with someone who has this so I understand exactly how it works before I buy it. Does this put undue strain on the panel?

Thanks again for your help.
Steve

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I haven't seen this one installed. A friend made a nice one from Surfboard Wall racks he got from Rincon Surf Shop. The blades are padded and fold forward so you don't have to lift the top over the blades to get it out.

:cheers:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Steve,

I own basically the same roof panel wall hanger with the exception being that I purchased mine through WCC. The middle section of the rack has two holes top and bottom in order to screw it into the wall. Even though it costs almost 70 bucks the screws are not included. It is also amazingly small... much smaller than you might think, at least it was to me. It is fairly stable once you put the top on it. The roof panel hangs by the latch handles and I cannot forsee anything negative in doing so. The balls are not padded but that is about it. I also purchased the storage bag to help keep the dust off my other top and to protect it in the event that anything accidentally struck it. I looked around a little and could not find any other options so this is what I felt like I was stuck with. Hope this helps.

Jeff

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi,
Here are some pictures of a bracket I am considering. I haven't seen it in person, just in these pictures. Its $200, a bit more than I originally planned to spend. Its made by a company in Florida.

http://saz25.home.comcast.net/images/vette/Top_holder_001.jpg
http://saz25.home.comcast.net/images/vette/Top_holder_003.jpg
http://saz25.home.comcast.net/images/vette/Top_holder_004.jpg
http://saz25.home.comcast.net/images/vette/Top_holder_005.jpg

Steve
I would be hesitant to use anything that did not support the weight of the top using only the frame. It looks as if that sandwiches the frame and top piece on the lower wedge which may help with distributing the weight, but then there is the risk of scratching the top. I would definitely purchase a storage bag before using it. It appears that one could be made like that with a router and simple tools.... probably for less than 40 bucks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all:
I just bought a bracket to mount my extra roof panel on my garage wall. I love it so much I thought I'd post a message to this forum about it.

I looked at other solutions and many were just metal crosses (vertical and horizontal cross members) where the panel hangs or dangles from a metal hook. That made me nervous. So another forum member suggested this new product to me. Its made by a company called TAC International and the product is called STOR-A-TOP. Its made in Florida and is of very high quality. It costs $200, which is more than those metals brackets, but it looks MUCH better and is a lot more sturdy. There is absolutely no movement in the panel and the panel just barely touches the vertical support member. Its even padded at that point. I have a C6 roof panel, but I hear it also supports other types of roof panels.

Here is a picture showing mine in my garage mounted on sheetrock (drywall) garage wall on a 2x4 wall stud. They even supply all the necessary lag bolts.

There is no side-to-side movement and there is also no stress on any part of the roof panel.

If you need more info, let me know. They owner of TAC International is Bill Galya and has been very helpful when I was researching this product and all the way through the process.

Their contact info is:
TAC International
14373 S.W. 142 Street
Miami, FL 33186-6764

phone: (305) 255-0008
fax: (305) 234-2978

Don't forget to mention my name (Steve Zedeck). I told him I was so happy that I would tell other people on the Corvette Forum how much I like it.

Regards, Steve

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts