Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how good the original equipment speakers are in my C6. I don't think it came with the premium sound because the previous owner had an Alpine HU with the Alpine navigator installed. The speakers sound pretty good to my old ears, but I have a set of CDT component speakers that I bought for my Miata. They were too large to fit in the Miata cut outs (although they were nominally the same size speaker). Anyway, those are pretty good quality components and come with the tweeters and crossovers. I wonder if it's worth the trouble to install them or have them installed.....

·
Registered
347 Posts
If the speaker covers on the doors say "BOSE" you've got premium Bose system.

Honestly, i wouldn't jack with the stock system. It sounds awesome. Would really be a waste of the money/option package to go aftermarket with it, imo.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the speaker covers on the doors say "BOSE" you've got premium Bose system.

Honestly, i wouldn't jack with the stock system. It sounds awesome. Would really be a waste of the money/option package to go aftermarket with it, imo.
It does not say "BOSE"... Still, it does sound pretty good. The Alpine IVA-200W is a pretty good unit. I don't believe it has an amp. And I don't know about the speakers. I guess I could pop out the grilles and check them out. Are the stock speakers component type? Do they have separate woofers and tweeters?

·
Registered
347 Posts
It does not say "BOSE"... Still, it does sound pretty good. The Alpine IVA-200W is a pretty good unit. I don't believe it has an amp. And I don't know about the speakers. I guess I could pop out the grilles and check them out. Are the stock speakers component type? Do they have separate woofers and tweeters?
The regular sound in upscale GM cars does sound good. My 06' CTS Luxury's system thumps and shakes the rear window :partyon:.

Yeah, there are tweeters above the door unlock buttons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got an 07 with the navigation system with XM and the Bose speakers. Frankly I'm disappointed with the sound especially with the XM turned on. No real highs and no real lows. I'm having Sirius installed and am working with my local stereo shop to see what can be done to clean up the sound. They were able to get a 30 page breakdown of the wiring and hookups of the headunit so we'll see what they come up with.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got an 07 with the navigation system with XM and the Bose speakers. Frankly I'm disappointed with the sound especially with the XM turned on. No real highs and no real lows. I'm having Sirius installed and am working with my local stereo shop to see what can be done to clean up the sound. They were able to get a 30 page breakdown of the wiring and hookups of the headunit so we'll see what they come up with.
Lots can be done to fix the C6 crappy sound system - check here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1149625

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,
I have an 07 vert. I had the JL Audio Stealthbox subs, put in behind the seats and it looks just like stock. Replaced the fronts with MB Quartz QSD-216 and added a Alpine amp PDX-4-150 in the cubby hole in the back. It really made a huge difference.

Jerry

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, I see you sold your Porsche and you live in Stuttgart!:surprised Local Stuttgartians(sp?) must hate you! Good for you!:thumbsup:

Sorry for the thread jack...

The best part is that I live near the "secret" Porsche test track in Weissach. P cars are a dime a dozen 'round here.

Here is what my sound system looks like:

·
Super Moderator
10,140 Posts
The best part is that I live near the "secret" Porsche test track in Weissach. P cars are a dime a dozen 'round here.

Hi Big Steve,

My company has a plant in Boeblingen so I've made a few trips out your way. Pretty country. I've never seen a vette there on any trip, so you must enjoy the rarity.

You should post more pics of your ride in your gallary!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just replaced the audio system with the following components. The D3 is great and the Pioneer components are probably some of the best I've heard for the money. I'm still missing a sub but that will come at a later time. The system sound 5x better with the car not started since my GHL's cancel out alot of the mid freq.

In the next couple of weeks I'm dynamating the doors and rear areas. Then I'm going to apply the insulation/heatshield kit to the front and back.

The last thing I'm going to do is remove all plastic panels (except for the dash) and line them with felt where the clips are inserted and where the plastic pieces touch.

This is all in an effort to reduce road noise, pops/creaks, and heat from the center console areas.

·
Super Moderator
10,140 Posts
Impressive installation - especially the C6 Logo on the pioneer. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Impressive installation - especially the C6 Logo on the pioneer. :thumbsup:
Thanks. I had CarToys install it and while they did a nice clean installation I ended up redoing all the wiring. They created a few ground loops and I had alternator whine...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. I had CarToys install it and while they did a nice clean installation I ended up redoing all the wiring. They created a few ground loops and I had alternator whine...
Cool display! are those gauges in the display functional? My car came with an Alpine HU similar to yours. It also has the Blackbird navigation system from Alpine. The installation appears to work well except that I cannot hear music played from the memory card in the Blackbird... Strange, since I can clearly hear the voice that gives directions. I've been playing around a bit with the sound and it seems to be pretty good for my old ears ;)
It might be that my speakers have already been updated. I do not see an amp anywhere though... Still, the speakers sound very good for the music I listen to. If there is bass in the music, the speakers put out a credible amount. I guess I'll just leave it as it is and sell those speakers I have on ebay or something.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cool display! are those gauges in the display functional? My car came with an Alpine HU similar to yours. It also has the Blackbird navigation system from Alpine. The installation appears to work well except that I cannot hear music played from the memory card in the Blackbird... Strange, since I can clearly hear the voice that gives directions. I've been playing around a bit with the sound and it seems to be pretty good for my old ears ;)
It might be that my speakers have already been updated. I do not see an amp anywhere though... Still, the speakers sound very good for the music I listen to. If there is bass in the music, the speakers put out a credible amount. I guess I'll just leave it as it is and sell those speakers I have on ebay or something.....
Yes the gauges are functional. The Pioneer unit calls it Vehicle Dynamics. It shows MPH, Voltage, G force, acceleration, etc....

The screen backgrounds were downloaded off the net and uploaded to the unit. I'm assuming you have the Alpine IVA W200 0r 205. I think you can add custom backgrounds to it as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes the gauges are functional. The Pioneer unit calls it Vehicle Dynamics. It shows MPH, Voltage, G force, acceleration, etc....

The screen backgrounds were downloaded off the net and uploaded to the unit. I'm assuming you have the Alpine IVA W200 0r 205. I think you can add custom backgrounds to it as well.
Yes, I do have the Alpine IVA W200. Do they make the vehicle dynamics thing for it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts