Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone else find that the fender profiles of the C6 in the front and the way the glare of the front lights is just visible from the side is reminiscent of the original Viper RT-10? same powerful look - I'm not complaining, I love the look of that car. Also, the side vents are kind of similar to the new Viper.

I think everyone's going to do a double-take when they first see the future Viper coupe beside the new Z06, especially since Chevy's shooting for near identical performance specs - like two companies versions of the same car! So far, I like the Vette's lines a lot more however..

·
Registered
365 Posts
1993 said:
I think everyone's going to do a double-take when they first see the future Viper coupe beside the new Z06, especially since Chevy's shooting for near identical performance specs - like two companies versions of the same car! So far, I like the Vette's lines a lot more however..
Not quite true, the Viper is built for pedal-to-the-metal power and stunning good looks, nothing more. The Vette on the other hand, is built for a well rounded performance (power and handling). Take the two to the drag strip and the Viper will win. Take the two to an autocross and the Vette will beat the tailpipe off the Viper.

As for styling, I like the new Vette better too. There are some similar cues, but they are different enough for me.

If the new Vette will indeed have the same HP ratings as the Viper, Dodge better be shaking in their boots. The Vette will have the Viper beat in every aspect.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Side vents Scream Late C1, Fenders Scream C3

So are you saying GM copied the Viper back in the days?

If anything Viper copied the vette from the C3 door handles to the ZO6 Wheels.

·
Registered
157 Posts
To my opinion this apparent impression is due to the perspective, where you can't see the sharp edges of the frontfenders. In addition have in mind that there are limited options when you have to design a modern front engine sports car with exposed headlights.
Considering this, to me it's a unique beautiful shape. More than that, it's a work of art!

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
madvette said:
Side vents Scream Late C1, Fenders Scream C3

So are you saying GM copied the Viper back in the days?

If anything Viper copied the vette from the C3 door handles to the ZO6 Wheels.
:agree:

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Re: Re: c6 = viper styling?

NemesisX said:
Not quite true, the Viper is built for pedal-to-the-metal power and stunning good looks...
Stunning good looks? So what's up with that grille anyway? :down:

·
Super Moderator
10,114 Posts
urbman said:
To my opinion this apparent impression is due to the perspective, where you can't see the sharp edges of the frontfenders. In addition have in mind that there are limited options when you have to design a modern front engine sports car with exposed headlights.
Considering this, to me it's a unique beautiful shape. More than that, it's a work of art!
:agree:

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
A stealth is supposed to look like a viper or vice versa
because A Viper is the updated Stealth, thats what my dads friend told me anywau who owns a 94(viper)...... but I do not think the C6 vents resemble a viper at all because ours(corvette) is alot more settle..... more classy, but the vipers are almost offensive lol thats what my dad says! lol they're kinda scarry....:lookinup: I think HONESTLY the corvette is a nicer car than the viper and that HYPATHETACLLY!!! if the new vette was a viper I would want one almost as bad as I do now! HYPATHETICALLY!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Re: Re: c6 = viper styling?

NemesisX said:
Not quite true, the Viper is built for pedal-to-the-metal power and stunning good looks, nothing more. The Vette on the other hand, is built for a well rounded performance (power and handling). Take the two to the drag strip and the Viper will win. Take the two to an autocross and the Vette will beat the tailpipe off the Viper.

As for styling, I like the new Vette better too. There are some similar cues, but they are different enough for me.

If the new Vette will indeed have the same HP ratings as the Viper, Dodge better be shaking in their boots. The Vette will have the Viper beat in every aspect.
You get you're information about the Vipers handling from the mags, don't you? Tell you what both are great cars, but the Viper will KILL a Vette on a roadcourse or an autocross. The handling on a GEN I or II Viper is great. In the Gen III Viper the handling is unreal, can't describe it. Combine huge hp, torque, handling and ausome braking, it can't be beat on any course. I've driven all kinds of Vipers and a C5, so I know a little bit about this first hand!

Sorry for going off topic, I just hate misconception that Vipers don't handle well, they do!

·
Registered
157 Posts
You get you're information about the Vipers handling from the mags, don't you? Tell you what both are great cars, but the Viper will KILL a Vette on a roadcourse or an autocross. The handling on a GEN I or II Viper is great. In the Gen III Viper the handling is unreal, can't describe it. Combine huge hp, torque, handling and ausome braking, it can't be beat on any course. I've driven all kinds of Vipers and a C5, so I know a little bit about this first hand!
I suppose the Viper's great handling is the reason that in 2003 every major GTS race (except LeMans, there won a 550 Maranello this year) was won by the Corvette team.
I myself competet some years ago on the racetrack with a modified C4 (C4!!!) against a Viper GTS and I overpowered it at last.
I don't claim the Viper was a bad car years ago - but it's time is over.
C6 time is rising!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I kinda see it the other way around.
IMHO the Viper copied the Corvette and the Cobra somehow.
The Viper is musclecar, the Vette is something more refined. The headlights are softer, less aggressive (at least what i see sofar)
D'ya guyz remember the StingrayIII concept? That also had exposed headlights, and somehow this C6 reminds me a little to that one. I see this one as an original styled car, a true Corvette, but it had to go along with the times, it has an appeal to the C4 and the C5, while also evoking some C3, too. But this is only IHMO :thumbsup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, here are my 2 cents based on these new pictures and the "boat shop" pictures.
At first take, I really like the side treatment. But then on my second take, the C6 really just looks like a reworked C5 from the side with early C4-inspired rear fascia. Not that the rear treatment is a bad thing. I was just hoping for something more radical.

It's almost like it's a de-evolution rather than an evolution of the C5. Hmmm. Not sure how I'll like the front as a whole. It’s too bad we can’t see much of it in these new pictures. I was and still am totally against exposed headlights on the Vette. I really wish they would have done some form of fixed headlights with a simple internally-sliding shutter or something (similar to the way a sunroof works on a much smaller scale) that would incorporate HID lighting, reduce weight and complexity over the pop-ups, look great while open, and still provide that stealthy concealed look while closed that's been the Vette trademark since '63. With the shape of the Stingray-esque front fenders in conjunction with the shape of those exposed lights, it looks like the new Dodge Viper SRT-10 from the head-on view. If body-colored panels concealed those headlights, I don't think people would think of it as having Viper-like styling.

The whole car just doesn't seem to have styling that sets it apart from the trends we're seeing in the industry right now. Similar coves, the edgy fenders, the exposed headlights, etc. are being done by several cars right now. I would have preferred a new take on Shark styling rather than what they ended up doing.

Regardless of who copied who... you can't release a car to market and not expect it to be compared to everything currently out there. So, yes, the top half does like VERY similar to the current Viper when viewed head-on based on the pictures we've seen. And, yes... the side cove does look very similar to the current Viper. The overall styling of the car does look very similar to several other cars on the market today. It's just not very original and not uniquely "Vette" enough to me, anyway. I hope what is displayed in January will change my mind. When the C4 was first shown to the public, I was completely excited!!! When the C5 was first shown to the public, I didn't like the wheels, but I really liked the wide exotic look of the car and that rear end. No other car on the road had that look unless you're talking about the actual "exotics". If I may be so bold, there still aren't very many cars that have the same look and feel as the C5. That's not the case with this one. Based on these pictures, it looks really similar to several cars out there.

p.s. With the introduction of the C6, there are several things the C5 will be known for:
* The C5 (Coupe) will hold the title for being the most wind cheating production Corvette to date.
* The C5 will be known as the last Corvette to have concealed headlights
* The C5 will be the last Corvette-exclusive Y platform car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well when the C6 comes out we will really be able to compair Corvettes to Vipers. Lets face it the C5 is a remarkable sports car, but it will soon be outdated. When you say a gen III viper will spank a C5 on the autocross, its like me saying a C5 will spank a gen II viper on the autocross. Its the gen III viper that will have to match up to the new C6. I have driven a gen III viper, it is a great car no doubt, but its not as refined as the C5..IMO. I dont know, im just a vette guy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts