Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's Up Everyone!:partyon:
I ordered a set of Hood 427 emblems for my C6Z. I Am NOT putting them on the hood. They are from 1966 Vette Hoods. I bought them new. They come Flat Black and Chrome around the outside. I Grinded off the hood mounting spikes. I stripped the Flat black off with Alcohol/Bleach and a dremel.
NOW For the million Dollar questions:
1. I am thinking about painting the centers Red to match the Z06 and Caliper Red. Does anyone have any ideas where I can get the correct Red. I was thinking Nail Polish with a clear on top I welcome all Ideas.
2. I CAREFULLY placed them in a few areas with scotch tape and I think The best place for them is directly on top of the Z06 Emblem, Resting on top of it. :partyon:
3. I am not drilling holes either, Any ideas on a good adhesive/Tape etc?
At first I was thinking of leaving them black and mounting them below the Z06 :drink: But I don't really think that will look right. Come On Everyone, HELP ME DECIDE. I Promise to post Pics when I am done. I Don't want to be a ginnie pig either:D :rolling: If you think I am crazy? Let me know also. One More thing, My Car is Yellow and the 427 emplems don't look that great just plain chrome. They need to be colored...Yellow/Red or High gloss black. I am leaning towards the red. Thanks.

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those Are Very Cool

corvette17 said:
1.Where did you get those Hood Emblems?
2.Did you have to paint them? If so, how/color/method?
3. Did you drill into the hood?
My car is Yellow and I Like those hood emblems and I think they would look great on my hood. I am just a little reluctant to start drilling. Yes I have a Body shop guy that I deal with. He painted my 94 LT-1 last year, BUT Giving anyone the Keys to my C6Z??? I don't know if I am ready for that. I just hit 1,000 miles today after 4 weeks. LOVING & Respecting MY NEW BABY! Today I initiated a race with some Butthole that followed too closely in traffic for 20 miles, (Older Benz SL-560) I played with him for a minute and then at 95MPH the road was open and YES, I GAve Him a serious Spanking. It seemed as if He Just put in in PARK! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks A Lot Man

EFE Z06 said:
Here is my earlier posting, I went through the agony where to place them. I finally decided on the fnder above the Z06 emblem. I'll try to post some new pictures.

EFE Z06

427 CI Emblem
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52170

Thanks for Helping out. I Ordered a few sets of those Chrome Numbers and Letters Today. I'll keep ya posted. l

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here They Are. I will post better Pics

I Ordered 427 Hood Emblems for a 1966 Vette, Stripped the black out of the center and matched the red in the Z06 and the calipers with nail polish and then put two coats of clear on top. I did not drill them onto my Baby, I Hot glued them in place. :partyon:

I will take a few better shots from the side and add them to this post.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Kingjerbo said:

I Ordered 427 Hood Emblems for a 1966 Vette, Stripped the black out of the center and matched the red in the Z06 and the calipers with nail polish and then put two coats of clear on top. I did not drill them onto my Baby, I Hot glued them in place. :partyon:
I will take a few better shots from the side and add them to this post.
Can somebody give me a microscope please? :laughing:

Hot glue? I don't think that will hold, especially as the weather changes, when the car sits in the sun you'll find the emblems sitting on the ground. :laughing: You really need to use very thin two sided tape, that's what others have used. I hope the hot glue doesn't hurt the paint?

Look forward to better pictures! :thumbsup:

EFE Z06

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe You Should borrow the Micro scope from your Woman!

EFE Z06 said:
Can somebody give me a microscope please? :laughing:

Hot glue? I don't think that will hold, especially as the weather changes, when the car sits in the sun you'll find the emblems sitting on the ground. :laughing: You really need to use very thin two sided tape, that's what others have used. I hope the hot glue doesn't hurt the paint?

Look forward to better pictures! :thumbsup:

EFE Z06
Yeah Yeah Yeah, I know they are hard to see. And I was only mess'n with you about the microscope thang, You better leave it in the bedroom so your woman has it ready at all times, :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
The hot glue is holding very well, It was 83 degrees here yesterday and they were holding very strong, I wanted to use something that could be heated and removed if I wanted to make a change. The Yellow does'nt really get as hot as some of the darker colors, BUT You may be right. Any suggestions on a good thin double sided tape, Just in Case. YES I WILL POST BETTER PICS. Thanks.

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok You Were Right!

[/IMG]I went out side and took a Picture of the side,(waiting approval) I went to wipe the area clean and guess what happened????? You Jinx Me! :laughing:

The Four came off and I tacked it back on for the picture.

I will be going to Home Depot in an Hour and I'll see if I can find a good Thin double sided tape.

I had to tell you you were right. That's what I get for being a smart guy huh? :bang :bang Anyway. The glue did not harm the paint, I also put a few coats of Zymol on before the hot glue. Maybe that was a bad idea? :huh: I don't know. I would rather have the challenge I am having then have damaged the paint. I wanted to play it safe. BUT at least the numbers didn't fall off yesterday when me and my Baby were tearing up the HIghway:partyon: :partyon: :partyon:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Kingjerbo said:
I went out side and took a Picture of the side,(waiting approval) I went to wipe the area clean and guess what happened????? You Jinx Me! :laughing:

The Four came off and I tacked it back on for the picture.

I will be going to Home Depot in an Hour and I'll see if I can find a good Thin double sided tape.

I had to tell you you were right. That's what I get for being a smart guy huh? :bang :bang Anyway. The glue did not harm the paint, I also put a few coats of Zymol on before the hot glue. Maybe that was a bad idea? :huh: I don't know. I would rather have the challenge I am having then have damaged the paint. I wanted to play it safe. BUT at least the numbers didn't fall off yesterday when me and my Baby were tearing up the HIghway:partyon: :partyon: :partyon:

There are a number of double sided tapes, but I think 3M probably has the best, just make sure you have the emblem in the exact right spot when you press it on, it won't be easy to pull off to re-adjust!

I understand you strip and stick one side of the tape onto the emblem, then use a razer blade or sharp thin knife to trim the excess around the numbers. Those chrome looking numbers I bought instantly stuck to the car once they touched, fortunately I had them lined up exactly right. Success!

EFE Z06

·
Registered
173 Posts
Not meaning to nitpick, but the numbers are from the '67 hood. I found some great 3M VHB (very high bond) double-sided tape on eBay. It should be ideal for this purpose.

·
Mo-Fo
7,509 Posts
Don't mean to offend anyone, but I don't think those numbers look good in either place. Maybe they should be on top of the Z06, or at least closer. They looked really good on the stripes on the hood of that 07. That was the best place. JMO. But back to the question. I have the chrome spears on mine and they originally were held on with one screw and double stick tape. After about 8 months, the tape came unstuck and the spear was hanging. So what I did was clean the area real well with rubbing alcohol and then used epoxy to stick em back on. Hasn't come off since. So if you use this tried and true method, be SURE you know where you want your emblems to be, because they aren't gonna come back off. Post pics when you get them on.:cheers:

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I placed them on top of the Z06 emblem once

Z-MAN said:
Don't mean to offend anyone, but I don't think those numbers look good in either place. Maybe they should be on top of the Z06, or at least closer. They looked really good on the stripes on the hood of that 07. That was the best place. JMO. But back to the question. I have the chrome spears on mine and they originally were held on with one screw and double stick tape. After about 8 months, the tape came unstuck and the spear was hanging. So what I did was clean the area real well with rubbing alcohol and then used epoxy to stick em back on. Hasn't come off since. So if you use this tried and true method, be SURE you know where you want your emblems to be, because they aren't gonna come back off. Post pics when you get them on.:cheers:
No offense taken, I appreciate the feedback. :thumbsup: I had originally placed directly on top of the Z06 emblem, almost resting on it, to the right of the Z and I thought it looked a little too busy, I will take another look at that and maybe post a pic for some opinions. :partyon:

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
corvette17 said:
These came from Genuine Corvette Accessories which should be available from your local Chevy parts dept. Chevrolet had a display at the NCM C5/6 Registry Birthday Bash with numerous C6 accessories. Try www.semac.us or call toll free 1-866-207-6842.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Z-MAN said:
The stock Z06 emblems are installed with tape, probably 3M, also my 427 chrome numbers use tape and the dealer says they won't come off. It just needs to be the right kind of tape! Weather proof, heat resistant & so on.

EFE Z06

·
Registered
897 Posts
EFE Z06 said:
The stock Z06 emblems are installed with tape, probably 3M, also my 427 chrome numbers use tape and the dealer says they won't come off. It just needs to be the right kind of tape! Weather proof, heat resistant & so on.

EFE Z06
I was told by a local Chevy service/parts dept that the C5 body molding uses aircraft adhesive. Don't know where you could get that stuff, but you might want to check into it.

·
Supporting Dealer
10,438 Posts
Z-MAN said:
My bet is that once the 07 comes out, those 427 numbers will be available aftermarket. Isn't everything? :laughing:
correct GM told us when I was down there at BG during the unveilinig...that once 2007 stuff starts rolling we could order these and they are available only via the dealerships

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I Took Mine Off

I Removed them with a blow dryer

I am toying with the idea of placing them on again using the Scotch thin two sided indoor/outdoor tape. I will place them right on top of the Z06 emblem first. I may wait and see if the local chevy dealer has the ones that were listed in a previous post (hood emblems) from the Birthday Bash.

OK I placed them directly under the Z06 emblem and the pics are pending approval. I am not sure how I feel about that placement. On top of the Z06 didn't look that good. I just think they can be read a lot better when they are spaced away from the Z06 emblem. I will post the pics and drive the car tomorrow. I will see a few of my friends and ask their opinion. Then I will make another decision. I placed them on with double sided tape and they are holding very well. I am going to have to heat them up pretty well in order to remove them. Atleast I didn't drill any holes.:crazy: PICS TO FOLLOW. Talk about obsessive compulsive. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Kingjerbo said:
I Removed them with a blow dryer

I am toying with the idea of placing them on again using the Scotch thin two sided indoor/outdoor tape. I will place them right on top of the Z06 emblem first. I may wait and see if the local chevy dealer has the ones that were listed in a previous post (hood emblems) from the Birthday Bash.

OK I placed them directly under the Z06 emblem and the pics are pending approval. I am not sure how I feel about that placement. On top of the Z06 didn't look that good. I just think they can be read a lot better when they are spaced away from the Z06 emblem. I will post the pics and drive the car tomorrow. I will see a few of my friends and ask their opinion. Then I will make another decision. I placed them on with double sided tape and they are holding very well. I am going to have to heat them up pretty well in order to remove them. Atleast I didn't drill any holes.:crazy: PICS TO FOLLOW. Talk about obsessive compulsive. :laughing:

That's why I placed mine on the upper part of the fender where the 01 to 04 Z06 emblems were originally placed. I think below the Z06 emblem is too low and to crowded - both being on the vent. I even thought of moving the Z06 emblems up on the fender where the earlier Z's placed them and placing the 427 emblems where the present Z06 emblems are now, I still think that would look cool also! So far, everybody that has seen where I placed my 427 emblems think they look good, most have commented and said they didn't even know they are not factory emblems.

Just a side note. I seldom have people look at my car and say "There is a Z06!", but rather, "Wow, a new 427 Corvette!" Obviously they see the 427 emblem much easier and more noticeable than the Z06 emblems. Several times while at a stop sign or traffic signal, various people have stopped next to my car (with their windows rolled down) and asked; "Are the new Corvettes coming with a 427 now?" I answer; "No, only the Z06!" It's obvious many don't know what a Z06 is and even if they could read the Z06 emblem on the side - probably don't know the new Z06 has a 427. So, the 427 emblem really tells them a lot if they know nothing else! :thumbsup:

EFE Z06

1 - 20 of 23 Posts