Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, has anyone tried fitting the 6 piston cals and 14in rotors with 17in ZR1 wheels? I read at an e bay vendors site you'd need a 1/2in spacer to make those cals/rotors fit in 18 and smaller diameter wheels, any imput will be apreeciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
428 Posts
They dont fit. The C6 Z51 calipers are a very tight fit with the 17x9.5 ZR-1 wheels.
The C6 ZO6 calipers have been fitted to a ZR-1 Corvette but he has , I believe 19's. He is JEFFVETTE or Jeff Vett on corvetteforum. He has pics too. Not real sure of his forum name, but it is Jeff and its a Blue ZR-1 with C6 ZO6 14 inch rotors with the 6 piston calipers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve, one other thing. I want to install the Z51s then but im still not sure what calipers i would need to make them work. Are all the calipers the same C5, C5 Z06, C6 & C6 Z51s??? Thanks again.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks Steve, one other thing. I want to install the Z51s then but im still not sure what calipers i would need to make them work. Are all the calipers the same C5, C5 Z06, C6 & C6 Z51s??? Thanks again.
The Z51 Calipers on the C6 are a little bigger due to the fact the rotors are a little different than the C5 rotors (which are all the same size). I dont know if the aftermarket or anyone has made the brackets available to mount C6 Z51 stuff to C4's. The C5 is more brake than you need, IMHO. Unless you are roadracing etc, then the C5 is fine. If you want retina detaching brakes, there are some serious aftermarket for C4's, Wilwood, Baer, Brembo, MOVIT, ALCON utilizing the 13 inch rotors. Now if you go to 14 inch rotors the expense goes up real quick unless you use C6 wheels, which can be mounted on the C4, its just getting bracket to be able to mount them. JEFFVETT and Ed Salinas are too people that have done the brackets and can get you in the correct direction. Hoep this helps. Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, to be honest i dont have a C4, i have a GMC Syclone and i already have the kit to mount the C5/C6 brakes. The Syclone is a lot heavier than any Corvette and wanted to fit the biggest brakes possible in my 17in wheels hence the ZR1 reference.
A guy over at the SyTy site told me the only difference he noticed with his Z51 cals against other 4 piston calipers is the color and the lettering.
So well i guess im going to ask the guy thats selling me the Z51 rotors and calipers if theres any mechanical difference to get these other new calipers with pads at a lower price than hes offerin me, thanks a lot.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The C5/C6 brakes are very good, even for your size vehicle. I would concentrate on getting good pads for whatever set up you get. I remember when I called BAER once, and they told me Fluid, Pads and lines, then worry about bigger rotors etc etc.

·
Registered
393 Posts
c6Zo6 frt brakes with Zr1 wheels

I have a ZR1 I called vette brakes & products,inc VBP they have a nicebrake set up for ZR1. Its called C4cx up grade. IT has sloted rotors C5 front brakes pads and everything you need coast about 1399.95. Also easy to install.:partyon:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The C5/C6 brakes are very good, even for your size vehicle. I would concentrate on getting good pads for whatever set up you get. I remember when I called BAER once, and they told me Fluid, Pads and lines, then worry about bigger rotors etc etc.
Well i was thinking of Firehawk pads, heard lots of good stuff bout them. My kit comes with braided steel lines and C5 spindles, all i need are those Z51 Brembos and a set of 2 piston cals, im going to shave the Corvette logo and engrave SYCLONE on them anyways.
So my main concern is fitting the rotors with the right cals, the only doubt left is if the cals are all the same for C5 and C6s excluding the Z06.
The reason i want Z51s besides the badass looks is that Syclones have only the 35% weight out in the back ( i got aluminum GN drums, to aid with the full boost launches ) and the rest goes up to the front on brakin, its a 3800lbs vehicule and 4k with me in so i do need the biggest rotors i can find.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well i was thinking of Firehawk pads, heard lots of good stuff bout them. My kit comes with braided steel lines and C5 spindles, all i need are those Z51 Brembos and a set of 2 piston cals, im going to shave the Corvette logo and engrave SYCLONE on them anyways.
So my main concern is fitting the rotors with the right cals, the only doubt left is if the cals are all the same for C5 and C6s excluding the Z06.
The reason i want Z51s besides the badass looks is that Syclones have only the 35% weight out in the back ( i got aluminum GN drums, to aid with the full boost launches ) and the rest goes up to the front on brakin, its a 3800lbs vehicule and 4k with me in so i do need the biggest rotors i can find.

Thanks again.
The Z51 Calipers are made by PBR, which is what all Vettes calipers are made by, and the pads are the real kicker here. The Z51 rotors are a little different, and are drilled, and the C5 ZO6 rotors and calipers are the same as all other C5 rotors and calipers. Your brake pads are going to be the big ticket to stopping that vehicle. F Bodies weigh up to 3700 lbs without driver and allot are useing standard old C5 brakes , but they use gat pads like HAWK, Performance Friction etc etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts