Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
ragvette said:
Anyone think GM will bring the Z06 back when the C6 comes out?
Not the first year of the C6. I believe Dave Hill said there would not be one in 2005.

But there will be a high-perf-exotic vette in 2006, so they might bring the name back for that.... or start the Z07 !

B

·
0 Posts
Yeah I heard the same thing. Expect the next equivalent to the Z06 to be a 2006 model with at least 500 horsepower.

If the looks of the C6 are good then I will be trading up in 2006!

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
BIG LAW MAN said:
Yeah I heard the same thing. Expect the next equivalent to the Z06 to be a 2006 model with at least 500 horsepower.

If the looks of the C6 are good then I will be trading up in 2006!
That's pushing it. I think you'll see the base LS2 rated about about 390 HP. Factoring in the weight savings and you have a VERY fast car.

I hope the Z06 in 2006 has an "R" edition. Something that is a pure race car with all non-race options deleted.

I see the 2006 Z06 being rated at around 450 HP. Again, with the weight savings, your talking about a solid 11.xx car. I can't see GM going higher than that.

You might debate this, but the Corvette has always been about "balance". Excellent in all areas: power, braking, cornering. I just don't see them going gung-ho on the motor.

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
That's pushing it. I think you'll see the base LS2 rated about about 390 HP. Factoring in the weight savings and you have a VERY fast car.

I hope the Z06 in 2006 has an "R" edition. Something that is a pure race car with all non-race options deleted.

I see the 2006 Z06 being rated at around 450 HP. Again, with the weight savings, your talking about a solid 11.xx car. I can't see GM going higher than that.

You might debate this, but the Corvette has always been about "balance". Excellent in all areas: power, braking, cornering. I just don't see them going gung-ho on the motor.
Yeah, It really comes down to a pissing contest when they all are shooting for 500.
Makes one wonder what Zora would think about the 500 mark.

·
Registered
44 Posts
"Underneath the hood is the latest evolution of Chevy's race-proven small-block V-8. The car's longitudinal all-aluminum 6.0-liter V-8 engine pumps 430 horsepower and 430 lbs.-ft. of torque. The engine is paired with a Hydra-Matic 4L65-E four-speed, rear-wheel-drive, electronically controlled automatic transmission."

From the announcement of the Chevy SS at the Detroit Auto Show. Perfect fit for the standard Vette. AT and all. What does anyone else think? :cool:

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
I Bin Therbefor said:
"Underneath the hood is the latest evolution of Chevy's race-proven small-block V-8. The car's longitudinal all-aluminum 6.0-liter V-8 engine pumps 430 horsepower and 430 lbs.-ft. of torque. The engine is paired with a Hydra-Matic 4L65-E four-speed, rear-wheel-drive, electronically controlled automatic transmission."

From the announcement of the Chevy SS at the Detroit Auto Show. Perfect fit for the standard Vette. AT and all. What does anyone else think? :cool:
Hmmm.....

·
Registered
335 Posts
I Bin Therbefor said:

I like it! :thumbsup: If the C6 looks good and has 430. Man what a hard decision it would be to trade my Z06 in! :huh:

·
Registered
233 Posts
1FastZ06 said:
I like it! :thumbsup: If the C6 looks good and has 430. Man what a hard decision it would be to trade my Z06 in! :huh:
We hope it makes you trade in your Z06! And, hope everyone else trades in their Z06! Then, there will be lots on the used market for us vulchers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Performance Press

I have a copy of the July 25 Performance Press -- the BG Assembly plant newspaper. In an article titled "Construction Updates" there is a run-down of things done during the "July Shutdown" (this is a yearly planned company-wide shutdown for construction, maintenance, and cost-savings).

In the fourth paragraph it says: "Also, a new frame rack handler and material canopy was constructed on the south side of the building next to the body docks. This enclosure will handle the racks and fork transfer for the new Z06 frame."

Draw your own conclusions.

B

·
0 Posts
Hmmmm... a frame specific to just the Z06? It can't be true! That would mean two different frames for the same car which would cost GM too much money to duplicate.:huh:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Re: Performance Press

vettecitykid said:
I have a copy of the July 25 Performance Press -- the BG Assembly plant newspaper.
In the fourth paragraph it says: "Also, a new frame rack handler and material canopy was constructed on the south side of the building next to the body docks. This enclosure will handle the racks and fork transfer for the new Z06 frame."

Draw your own conclusions.
Wow!! :surprised This is very interesting news!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
The only thing I know, is that Chuck Mallett, of Mallettcars, is involved in the development of the C6 Z06 Vette. I met him in BG, june 29th, and he told me this. He also told me they were going to test this Vette in a few days at VIR. So I head out there to see if I could spot them... I got on the track, saw the Truck's & tents, but no Vette. Later that day I saw Chuck & some other people leaving the VIR, so they were there..

Too bad I couldn´t take any pictures...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:

According to motortrend the motor most likely to be used is the 414 V-8 derived from the Cadilac XV-16 engine which produces 500 horsepower with average headers cam and exhaust but.. the new corvette engine has been rumored to of course use more than average headers, the mention of a Dual overhead Cam has kind of spoiled the suprise of 4 valved headers

the Z-06 will be out in 06 and just to let you know the Z-07 was a window option offered in an earlier yr. Of course the new corvette will have the fixed headlamps with that fence look in the center.
but ive strayed from the subject the new engine will most doubtedly produce 500+ becuase the GM designers have felt the viper has been touted as the numero uno sports car for to long (corvette was always numero uno to me :D ) Combined with a new 500 hp engine and the lighter weight of the z-06 the viper will be going down.

by the way anyone seen this photo before?

But i like this idea of the next corvette better

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Those photos are at least a year old (if not two) from R&T and C & D, I believe. Though they MAY eventually show that they are good guesses about what the car will be, they are just guesses. the first one, in particular, was generated from a Pontiac Solstice concept photo. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:

Hmmm "R" edition sounds kind of "Ricey". I say make a commerative edition Z06 and change some things to make it faster. I also think they should bring back engine choices. I want to see the 427 back in the vette. Just my 2 cents.
:cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope to god that the first one was a fake becuase its buttugly but its been the most circulated. I saw a C-5 in the Chevy lot the other day with a raised engine cowling so who knows what GM or the previous owner put in it but i think the commemerative C-5R Corvette coupe has a 427 in it but dont quote me on it what I do know is that the C-5R does have a 427 under the hood

Which brings another question do you think GM will make a C-6R car for lemans or is this the end of the Le mans corvette racing for now

·
Registered
55 Posts
TIme to raise the stakes dramatically.

If the VIper is currently at 500 HP, the Mercedes has a 613 HP option, Audi is at 450 HP, the new Bugatti is rumored at 950 - 1000 HP, where will a Z-06 be in two years?

500 HP is way too low to play in the big boy game 2 years down the road. I would think that something between 550 - 700 HP would be appropriate and the higher range sounds right.

But it may also be limited to a special edition, Blue Devil or something else that has been rumored.

Of course if they cut the weight of the platform in half then 500 HP sounds right.

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts