Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a stupid question i guess, but here it goes.with the traction control on I get a little sideways when I nail second gear and sometimes 3rd. with traction control OFF 2nd gear and 3rd gear is crazy and I have to get out of it (a lot) .In comp. mode I get a good launch but again 2nd and 3rd are almost out of control. So Is this normal or while your racing someone you can't go W.O.T.or what? I've been around fast cars for years and had a c5 before. Is it just me or or is my 08 C6 Z51 just that bad? Maybe I need an updated driving lesson.:crazy:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Kind of a stupid question i guess, but here it goes.with the traction control on I get a little sideways when I nail second gear and sometimes 3rd. with traction control OFF 2nd gear and 3rd gear is crazy and I have to get out of it (a lot) .In comp. mode I get a good launch but again 2nd and 3rd are almost out of control. So Is this normal or while your racing someone you can't go W.O.T.or what? I've been around fast cars for years and had a c5 before. Is it just me or or is my 08 C6 Z51 just that bad? Maybe I need an updated driving lesson.:crazy:
:thumbsup:

Careful with that thing.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I heard it's been cold down in Florida, maybe the roads are cold = no traction :huh:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
(lol) Careful with that thing, no doubt ! Jeez, It has been cold down here latley I didn't even think about that. Cold asphalt and reduced tire tread. Come to think of it, It wasn't that bad when it was hot here, That may be it .Thanks for the replies guys.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Tire issues.

I have the same setup, no problems with a hard shift to 3rd, ever. I have developed a divergent ass end swing in 1st and hard shift to 2nd, but always on purpose.

Check your tread. At 14K I had wire showing on the inside edge of the fronts and very little tread on the rears. I did not notice the degradation until the new tiers were installed, then it was obvious.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another stupid question : I recently had the car in the shop for a right rear caliper replacement under warantee. could they have disconected something to do with the active handling or ist it possible that the caliper is hanging up or pad thickness would throw things off. If that were true i'd see a code on the d.i.c. right? I didnt seem to notice it being that drastic until I got it back from the shop. just guessing

·
Registered
2 Posts
colder weather will definitely affect traction. You also make more HP with colder air. Amount of tire tread will have little to no affect. Remember the tread is only there to displace water.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
My car will lose traction on WOT 1-2 & 2-3 shifts but it does not get squirrelly.

Cold weather will reduce traction. I reduce my cold tire pressure in the Winter as the tires will gain more pressure than in summer when the tires warm. I target warm pressure of 29 front and 30 rear (General UHP) for both Summer and Winter.

:cheers:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Maybe I need an updated driving lesson.:crazy:
You need the driver mod......:smack

Read the owners manual. The tires are not recommended for use below a certain temperature (I think 40 or 50 degrees, I forget). I know Florida has been cold recently so that will exacerbate the problem that the STOCK TIRES SUCK. Get rid of the GY runcraps. For different reasons, I am running Toyo R888s and they make all the difference in the world vs the stock tires in the same conditions. Of course, the Toyos are not recommended for cold weather but my car does not see inclement/cold weather anyways.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Another stupid question : I recently had the car in the shop for a right rear caliper replacement under warantee. could they have disconected something to do with the active handling or ist it possible that the caliper is hanging up or pad thickness would throw things off. If that were true i'd see a code on the d.i.c. right? I didnt seem to notice it being that drastic until I got it back from the shop. just guessing
There is a connector to the speed sensor (thats in the wheel hub) but there's not reason to disconnect that to replace a caliper. If you feel it's still a mechanical problem, take it back.

BTW- what was wrong that they had to replace the caliper, seems kind of strange.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'm pretty sure if they disconnected anything to do with the traction control, the on board computer would tell you on your message board in the dash. I had the same issues with traction. I got rid of the run flats, much better. Only drove a few days in warmer weather, plenty of traction. Good luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for the replies,I guess I just need some more time behind the wheel when I'm doing launches in different modes. The reason I took it in to the shop, I was hearing diff. noise ,they did the new rear diff fluid udate,and I never heard it again. The reason for the caliper change was there was about an eighth to a quarter inch of play so they replaced it under warantee.

·
Registered
840 Posts
It is all in the tires. My old runflats used to spin and you could get it to swerving with just a minor correction. Also, below 50 degrees the tires were awful. It was pretty much driving on ice. Invest in new tires. I went with Hankook Ventus V12's and eliminated spin pretty much all together at 70 degree plus pavement temps. In cooler pavement temps it spin probably 3/4ths less than previous.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I agree these tires stink.When these burn I'll Probably go with the Hankook Ventus, or Toyo Proxsis. Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
16 Posts
C6 Z51 tail swerve

From Connecticut. One year ago exactly I took my C6 out on a clear cold day. Pulled over on highway to enter address into nav system. As I pulled back on highway I hit second only a bit hard and almost lost the car. Posted similar question on one of these forums and pretty much got the same info. Be really careful in cold weather with Goodyear runflats. Lots of good info on replacement tires. Need something that will be safe in colder New England weather. I hear Michelin PS2's are really good.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really appreciate all of your responses,It's good to see that I'm not the only guy this has happened to. These tires to put it plainly "suck" and are wearing quickly. I had the michelin sport ps 2's too on my C5 you had to really had to nail it to get those to spin and cornering was unbelivable. Now that I know for a fact that it's a tire issue. I'm going to find a deserted road somewhere and burn them down :thumbsup::thumbsup:till you see the belts. then I'm going to take them and make a bond fire out of them. I'm already looking at that new Kumho with the crazy tread pattern. I'm not using my normal mouse so my "thumbs up" icon is in the wrong place. Peace

·
Registered
6 Posts
driver mod: squeeze the throttle. I live in the great white north and drive mine until there is shovellable snow (stock tires):devil:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts