Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a C6 GS and love my 6 Speed Manual, but an curious about these new Paddle Shift Transmissions. First question about GM's Tap Shift on Production Corvette's and Camaro's. Are these just Automatic's with Paddles ? or are these Single Clutch Transmissions.

Second I have read that many think that it is Currently Too Expensive for Chevrolet to develop a Dual Clutch Paddle Shift Transmission for the new C7 2013 ? Corvette ?

I follow Corvette Racing and have seen the Doug Fehan Video where he talks about the Paddle Shift Transmission that the Corvette Racing 2011 American Le Mans Series Corvette's are now developing and running in that series and some of the Corvette Drivers say that
this new Paddle Shift works very well.

So if Corvette Racing is developing and testing in real racing these Paddle Shift Transmissions and they are working well and reliable in Racing. Why can't Chevy use these in the Production C7. Great way to develop and test new stuff and that answers the Cost Question.

Corvette Racing is also is running the new 5.5 Litre V8 which we will see in the new C7. Seems perfect, Corvette Racing is doing [email protected] on the new Engine and a new Transmission.Option. Great way to work out any problems before this stuff goes into Production Cars for the street.

So guys doesn't this make sense ?? Maybe Chevy is just not telling us the whole story yet ?

Video about the new paddle shift being tested by Corvette racing

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/video-corvette-racing-tests-new-paddle-shifters-on-the-track/

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
The racing transmission is not street worthy.

I would suggest that the dual clutch transmissions today are the best transmissions for street vehicles in both performance and fuel efficiency.

No human being can compete with its consistancy. That said...GM is heavily invested in planetary gearboxs so switching to a dual clutch is barely a financial option for GM.

Another excellent alternative would be the MCT type planetary transmission used by Mercedes AMG division..

Essentially a torque convertor automatic transmission without the torque convertor but without the torque convertor and computer programing to make the shifting occur.

The AMG MCT unit I drove is excellent and in fact equal to the dual clutch transmission I've also driven.

Since GM has its production facilities built for planetary gearboxs we can only hope that this is the direction GM goes rather than staying with the torque convertor...

Why some ask should GM bother? The MCT transmission offers the direct drive feel that transcents any torque convertor automatic and offers lightening fast shifts ...either controlled by the computer full time or by the driver full time.

Hopefully the new c7 will offer a Dual clutch but if not...this new MCT transmission technology is also dam impressive.

I have been driving manuals for 30 years...my present vettes a 6 speed manual but these new transmission technologies just smoke the transmissions that have been in corvettes for years...automatic with torque convertor or manual six speed included..

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
GM is working currently on a 7 speed dual clutch transmission for front wheel drive applications, its likely that we will look into it for their RWD applications as well.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
I pounded on a Ferrari 458 Italia recently. The paddle shifters were absolutely freaking unbelievable.

If the C7 had paddle shifters like the Ferrari 458... hell yes!

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
Those transmissions have made a huge difference at race tracks for cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input. I like a lot of you have always had manual 4 or 6 speed transmission Corvettes and I have not even driven a paddle shift car of any kind. So I really do not know much about them. I will have to drive one. From what I have read they are the future. I looked up information about the AMG MTC. Sounds like a great trans. So at least one of you think that the MTC is more likely to be the way that GM will go ? If they could come close to what it sounds like MB has done with the MTC Great!

By the way I know better than to think that Chevrolet could take what Corvette Racing is developing and just drop it into a production Corvette, but what I am thinking is that the Chevrolet guys could take what the Racing team learns and develops from there racing experience and that it would help the Chevy guys use that information to develop a better Paddle Shift Trans than what is currently in production today.

I do think the Chevy guys need a dual clutch or MTC Transmission
to keep Corvettes competitive with Porsche and BMWs

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
The reason I believe we have a better chance of an MCT technology transmission than we do to get a dual clutch simply based off the fact that the MCT technology that Mercedes uses is based off a planetary gearbox transmission which GM has a tremendous production infrastructure in place.

I drove the Mercedes SL63 with the MCT transmission and it truly offered the direct drive feel and performance of the Dual clutch transmission.

GM will be slow to go from the torque convertor automatic to the MCT or DSG because its not so much about a performance improvement but rather the feel of a manual along with the direct drive connection....and the consistancy that only a computer can offer.

The torque convertor automatic by its very definition and design has a much more syrupy or fluid operating feel that is what places it behind the DSG, MCT or standard manual transmission..

for many such as myself it is the direct drive "feel" that is so intoxicating in the corvette ...and its not really the clutch pedal that creates that for me...

Its the direct connection of the powertrain that can be mimiced by DSG, MCT or of course the manual.

Torque convertor automatics just can't replicate that feel.

one interesting feature of MCT or DSG that might push GM towards that for the corvette(aside from consistancy of performance) is improved fuel efficiency ....

Just my opinion....and hoping GM offers either MCT or DSG in the next vette....

If your interested in test driving a DSG vehicle..pull into any audi or better yet...VW dealership.

The cars a bit slow but with the DSG you can get a feel for what the excitment is about..

If you can get to a porsche dealership or BMW dealership...they both offer DSG technology..ie 135 coupe..or cayman/boxster/911 ...

Again..these don't have the speed of a corvette so don't be surprised you find acceleration less than thrilling on the test drive...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts