Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://wot.motortrend.com/gm-invest-millions-iinto-corvette-plant-74579.html#ixzz1LP0ml1OP

In preparation for the next-gen C7 Chevy Corvette, General Motors is planning some big-time upgrades to its Bowling Green Assembly Plant, to the tune of $131 million.

According to a report by the Bowling Green Daily News, GM has filed paperwork and gained approval from the state of Kentucky for a $131 million investment in the facility. The plant’s fact sheet reveals that the facility has been in operation since 1981 and currently builds all Corvette variants including the Z06 and the ZR1, which at an MSRP of over $100,000 makes it General Motor’s most expensive vehicle.

GM has since released an official statement on its expansion plans for Bowling Green, which include a $131 million investment, and the hiring of an additional 250 workers, in preparation for the next-generation C7 Corvette.

Mark Reuss, GM North America president, spoke at the event, saying, “This is a significant day for anyone who believes that America should build world-class, high-performance products. Corvette has no domestic peer for performance and pedigree and stands alongside the world’s best supercars with almost 60 years of continuous heritage.”

The plant currently employees 471 hourly and salaried workers, most of whom feared that the plant may close.

“At times we were on pins and needles about whether or not this plant would continue to build a car because the bar is constantly being raised,” said Eldon Renaud during an interview with the Daily News. He is the current president of Local 2164 of the United Auto Worker and has been employed with GM since 1968.

GM has made multiple multi-million dollar improvements throughout the plant’s history and the reported future investment should put Renaud’s fears to rest for the time being. There are no official details on the C7 Corvette, but we expect GM will continue the iconic sports car’s recipe of value matched with performance that targets its European rivals.

In the meantime, the 2012 Corvette has just undergone some upgrades and revisions, including upgraded tires, new packaging, and increased seat bolstering.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Also stated the C7 is a 2013 MY, selling late next year and will have carbon fiber body and other parts lighter to reduce weight for EPA MPG requirements.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
not to downplay this much but $131m isn't really much in the way of modifying structures and industrial equipment.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if they are going to work soon in the plant then the C7 is basically they have finish the R&D for the car . What it weird is that no one have seen a test mule .

·
Super Moderator
10,172 Posts
not to downplay this much but $131m isn't really much in the way of modifying structures and industrial equipment.
Do you think they spent anywhere near that going from the C5 to the C6? ...not counting the investment for the XLR. They're talking about an Ass'y plant, not new tooling for body panels and such.

Also, 250 more workers!! Something is afoot. That seems like more people than would be needed for initial C7 demand. What's different? Maybe another, more unique model offering? Maybe a ZR1 that uses many of the same parts, but is more unique and can use the old XLR assy line? JAT

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
Do you think they spent anywhere near that going from the C5 to the C6? ...not counting the investment for the XLR. They're talking about an Ass'y plant, not new tooling for body panels and such.

Also, 250 more workers!! Something is afoot. That seems like more people than would be needed for initial C7 demand. What's different? Maybe another, more unique model offering? Maybe a ZR1 that uses many of the same parts, but is more unique and can use the old XLR assy line? JAT
Word on the street is that a new vehicle will join the assembly line, if that is true then honestly the only thing I can think of is a new XLR.

As far as the money invested this doesn't even include the development money spent on the C7 and the development money spent on the Gen V SBC engines.

The Gen V last I read wasn't going to go into production until 2013.

·
Super Moderator
10,172 Posts
Word on the street is that a new vehicle will join the assembly line, if that is true then honestly the only thing I can think of is a new XLR.

As far as the money invested this doesn't even include the development money spent on the C7 and the development money spent on the Gen V SBC engines.

All makes sense except the XLR replacement.

No way are they dumb enough to go down that road again so soon. The next big Cad will be based on a FWD Buick - big mistake - because they didn't have the budget to do a real "16" or even a new STS. They need an excellent top Luxo model for real success. They need this MUCH more than they need an XLR replacement. The CTS-Vs are sufficient halos for them right now.

They also need the ATS to be as impressive in its segment as the CTS is in its.

AFTER they have a complete line up of successful sedans, one or two hot coupes and two good SUVs in place, all with plenty of high tech and a sprinkling of Hybrid / Electric, then maybe then they can consider trying to break back into the sport car market again.

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
All makes sense except the XLR replacement.

No way are they dumb enough to go down that road again so soon. The next big Cad will be based on a FWD Buick - big mistake - because they didn't have the budget to do a real "16" or even a new STS. They need an excellent top Luxo model for real success. They need this MUCH more than they need an XLR replacement. The CTS-Vs are sufficient halos for them right now.

They also need the ATS to be as impressive in its segment as the CTS is in its.

AFTER they have a complete line up of successful sedans, one or two hot coupes and two good SUVs in place, all with plenty of high tech and a sprinkling of Hybrid / Electric, then maybe then they can consider trying to break back into the sport car market again.
Cadillac already has a big RWD sedan in the works, it will be offered side by side with the up coming XTS (which is going to be better then most people expect it to be).

The reason that the CTS is successful today is because when they failed they didn't just scrap it. They gave it another go, then they got pretty good at it so they kept trying (current car).

You don't try to make something fail then just give up you keep trying until you figure out how to do it right. At one time they thought that they had to give Cadillac a DOHC V-8 engine and shock the only V series model to do well was the one with a push rod V8..... lesson learned.

Though I don't see what other vehicle they can/will produce out of that plant other then a Corvette based Cadillac. This platform really can not accommodate other layouts such as 4 doors, SUVs, etc... .

I don't see GMC with a sports car and I can kind of see Buick with a sports car but Cadillac is their top of the line.

While I could be wrong to me it only seems logical that a new XLR would be produced at this plant. After all the last XLR wasn't a bad vehicle, it just wasn't good enough.

·
Super Moderator
10,172 Posts
Though I don't see what other vehicle they can/will produce out of that plant other then a Corvette based Cadillac. This platform really can not accommodate other layouts such as 4 doors, SUVs, etc... .
Maybe you're right, but I don't think so. I think we all might be very pleasantly surprised at what comes out BG, in addition to the C7 we expect.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Rumor down here

Is that they will build a version of what used to be the Saturn SKY, and Pontiac Solstice.

·
Registered
710 Posts

GM spent almost $500m to updrage the facility at Tonawanda, NY for the Gen V. They are puting in the line right now. Plans are to begin pre-production this fall. Looks to be on track for 2012. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,172 Posts
More details from the 5/4 announcement

One last comment about a possible XLR resurection ... Last time I was in BG, the XLR line was just sitting over there idle. If that is still the case, it wouldn't cost $100M to get it ready to build an updated corvette-based XLR. I think there is somethng very new coming.

Here's more to digest...
The Kentucky Economic Development Funding Authority approved up to $7.5M in state tax offsets over the next eight years for a potential $131M project at General Motors' Bowling Green site at its monthly meeting in late March.

At that time, GM would say publicly only that it was pleased Kentucky officials approved the incentive package, said Andrea Hales, communication manager at Bowling Green Assembly. The Kentucky plant is only one of several sites GM is considering for the project, she said then, adding that the project involves adding a new production line for a vehicle that GM is not identifying.

Under the incentives approved by KEDFA in March, GM would have to maintain a minimum of 449 full-time Kentucky-resident employees to earn the tax breaks. The KEDFA agenda item lists $113.6M in equipment costs, $4.7M in building improvements and $12.8M in other start-up costs for GM in connection with the project.

The investment primarily involves refurbishment of the plant, according to the KEDFA agenda, which states that General Motors "is considering adding a new vehicle product program to its existing Bowling Green facility."

The incentives became part of "developing a business case" for Bowling Green Assembly inside GM for decision makers, Hales said. Other GM sites being considered were not identified. There is no specific timetable for GM's decision making process, she said.

GM has 457 employees with a $36.5 million total payroll at its 1 million s.f. facility in Bowling Green, which has been sole production site for the Corvette sport car since 1981, according to the company's website. Workers produced 15,791 Corvettes there in 2010.

Production of the Cadillac XLR began there in June 2003 and ceased on April 30, 2009.

In 2009, JD Power and Associates ranked Corvette as the top GM model for quality and the 5th best model across the entire auto industry, according to the company's online media center.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
who is working with TESLA motors? I could easily see a location who makes titanium and aluminum sub frame components with carbon fiber facilities moving in the electric arena fairly easily.

·
Super Moderator
10,172 Posts
who is working with TESLA motors? I could easily see a location who makes titanium and aluminum sub frame components with carbon fiber facilities moving in the electric arena fairly easily.
Toyota has already jumped on Tesla. They injected significant capital for technology sharing. Tesla needed the cash to fund their new sedan development / production. Frankly, I don't think Tesla got nearly enough money from Toyota for what they appeared to give up.

However, I think you could be warm. I think if the new BG line is not another Vette model, it WILL be very GREEN.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
maybe we could see the VUe/Sky play into it as a hybrid tech centerpiece---or what about a comeback of the Grand am? that was basically a detuned 4 door vette..

·
Super Moderator
10,172 Posts
maybe we could see the VUe/Sky play into it as a hybrid tech centerpiece---or what about a comeback of the Grand am? that was basically a detuned 4 door vette..
I think you mean the Pontiac G8, and it was more like a four door Camaro. The G8 shared no components with the vette except the Gen IV V8. Good car though. Ironically, maybe the best Pontiac ever built.

It is conceivable that a new high performance, low production RWD sedan could be built in BG.

Another possibility would be to use the old XLR space for short run specialty production of low volume "fad" cars like the SSR, the last T-bird, the Prowler.

It would make some sense to make a low volume, unique Cad 16 (or 12) sedan in the XLR space. The Vette is considered the highest quality GM vehicle. From a PR standpoint, a top of the line, limited production Cad sedan would be a good BG stablemate, even though the two cars are completely different. That XLR line is completely independent of the Vette line - except the paint booth, I think.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
yes the G8. formerly know as the grand prix. And I think it's still being produced in Australia by a different name.

Im not certain but I don't think GM is running the non supercharged V8 in anything but the camaro and vette. It would make sense to add it to either the CTS or make another mid level sedan as it for the power plant.

But then again I think GM may have learned from having all the variants and the costs associated with them.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts