Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

C7 Designer

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  C6-R 
#1 ·
Who do you think will be the lead designer of the C7 .... Jon Peters again?

#6 ·
Before reading this please don't think I am a Korean hater or GM basher. Truth is I totally dig the C6 and if I could swing it I would trade in my C4.

I am currently stationed in Korea--again--and have taken notice that the C6's interior has similarities with Korean cars. I'm talking about the general layout of the dash components such as vents, stereo, climate controls, etc. There are little cues in some Korean cars that actually pre-date the C6. It's interesting, because GM purchased Daewoo before the release of the C6 and employ a Korean on their design team. Coincidence? I don't think so. Also, I wonder how much of the C6 is made in America versus assembled in America. I think GM has been selling out America's icon gradually for a long time. For example, the C4's wheels were made by Enkei in Japan, who knows what else, and the C6's wheels are made in China. Al least the C5 wheels were made in Indiana, if I'm not mistaken, before the company went under.

It should be no secret that the current Impala, Malibu, and Aveo are basically imports! These three cars are so ridiculously similar to their Korean counterpart vehicles. (we have Korean taxis on base that are exactly like the Impala) Seriously, it is just a matter of installing a different molding for the front and rear fascia and changing emblems, steering wheel--little things, but the overall platform/paneling is the same. (the engines are not the same though, Koreans wouldn't know what to do with a 303HP V8 in their Impala equivelent--in fact, just get themselves killed--their driving habits/manners suck) It is exactly what Pontiac did for the release of the modern GTO.

Likewise, the Korean's have cars that are simply disguised Japanese models too. It's not just GM doing this platform/panel sharring. These large global companies are sharring a lot and just disguising it with simple molding, emblem and engine differences.

So what will the C7 hold? I'm sure it will kick ass regardless. All Vette generations are awsome. They are great to drive and own. I hope GM does not continue this out-sourcing economic strategy with the Vette. Let's keep it all-American.

#11 ·
The C6 was designed by Tom Peters but Sang Yup Lee had alot to do with the overall design. As far as GM having "A" korean designer, GM has many Korean designers along with almost every other car manufacturer. The korean designers are DA*M good at drawing and getting there ideas out there and presented. I've had an oppurtunity to work with Sang Yup Lee for a few days and his demonstrations of his drawing abilities and creativeness was truly remarkable.
Along with Mr. Lee I also was taught by the designer of the last generation Impala and Malibu. Interiors looking very Korean like, I think thats just a coincidence all cars have A/C vents placed in roughly the same locations, 99 % have center dash navigations, Climate controls are similar in all cars etc... I agree about the Corvette being made here with parts being made here in the USA, but the reality is this is the 21st century, America loves outsourcing. It's cheaper,easier and more efficient. My Mustang has Cobra wheels made in China. My phones made in Korea. Unless the UAW comes up with a great healthcare plan and stops paying the line workers 16 bucks plus an hr. to put a battery box in, things will be outsourced and your next
2015 C8 may just have a LS5 assembled and made in china.

#8 ·
The GEO Prism and Toyota Corolla were identical as well. Change the badging and you could drive the vehicle of your choice:laughing: So what Sanctuary said makes perfect sense and unfortunately, like has more truth to it than theory:(

Unfortunatley, the UAW has priced itself out of competition with its Asian counterparts. Not that I'd want an autoworker working for peanuts, nor would I want to live like "some" asian countries. But ther companies, GM and the like, could learn a LOT from Asian corporations in how they treat thier laborers:thumbsup:

As far as the desing of the Camaro, I still think it sucks and hope somebody makes some improvements on that front and rear before it actually hits the showroom floor,

There's no "vision" at GM:down: They seem afraid to take a chance:( Very little forward thinking as it goes to styling.

I know, its all about performance and speed:rolleyes: and I'm sure for some, a crate with a monster engine and suspension would be fine. For the rest of us, since we can't use all that power and handeling on the stree 99% of the time, would like something that looks stylish as well as runs/handles well:thumbsup:

The Z06 is beautiful in it's styling from about any angle:cheers:

But why would I pay 25k + more for a car that "looks" essentially the same?

The SS, ZR1, Blue WTF ever? seems to be headed that way:( Sure, it'll have more performance and lighter panels, but hell!! For that kind of $$$, I want it to be noticably different in sight and sound, a 1/4 mile away:cheers: :thumbsup:

#9 ·
I agree with Streetknight, except I am still undecided on the new retro Camaro, probably because I have always liked the '70-73' Camaro more than the '67-69'.

Anyway, as far as the C7 is concerned I certainly hope it is a big leap forward from the C6 and C5 generations. The C6 looks like a reworked C5 so I hope GM does not continue with this reworking idea, but instead create a Vette completely different--in the same way as the C4 was radicaly different from the C3. If GM can push the envelope with the C7, as they did with the C4, then it will mean that they are using their creativity and resources to benchmark a new platform and technologies--of which the world pays attention to. I really think they will too.

Now the SS/ZR-1/Blue Devil gig--just like the C4 ZR-1--yeah, had a neat engine, but way overpriced and looked almost identical to it's lesser C4 brother.

#10 ·
I may be out of the loop, but I'm not sure that it matters much, the birthplace of the C7 designer. I mean... there are Americans designing for European brands as well. The automotive sector is globalized and brains and talent just follow the opportunities, wherever these may be.

By the way, BuckyT, you have a hilarious avatar. :laughing:

#12 ·
If sounds like they (GM) have a great design staff:thumbsup:

Too bad they don't pay attention to them:(

I'd think that if they did, they SS/BS/ZR1 or WTF ever you want to call it) would look substantially different than the standard run of the mill C6;) And the C7 would be :thumbsup:

But look at the last model Impala and Monte Carlo and to a small degree, the new Camaro. :( Pathetic design.:down:

They need to get some out of the box artists in there and listen to them!:thumbsup:

#13 ·
Oh I understand many American companies love to outsource. I am reminded of that every time I go to the military clothing sales store on base to purchase items I need--and I see "Made in China"

I have no problem with foreign nationals working for GM's design teams. Fresh perspectives are healthy. What I don't care for is seeing similar pieces/parts and those being placed in the same ergonomic layout in a Vette. That's not to say that someone elses idea/design isn't suitable, but it's just molded plastic and too easy for GM's brass to say OK to it. It is in no way a matter of better craftsmanship, quality of materials or creativity on any team's behalf--just molded plastic! These are easily molded for their destined use, whether it be a Hyundai Sonata, Implala, or Vette. Yes, the Vette has always used plastics, nevertheless it should not be an excuse to outsource or share ergonomics and design across the board.

Maybe I am just venting my own fears.

I'm not trying to get carried away here. I believe the Vette should always be a whole package creation to be GM's show case for technology and power, not GM's snap-fit model of parts acquisitioned from overseas. Gradually, every year, America loses home made products to overseas manufacturing. Don't let the Vette be slowly contracted out piece by piece as well.

Once again, I am not a C6 basher. C6 owners, please don't think I am disgusted with the C6. Not at all. It's GM I am more concerned about.

#14 ·
I agree with both of you fully. When talking with my professor who designed the last impala and last generation malibu, he showed us what he envisioned them to be and his design proposals got chosen, and I know drawings are exagerrated to say the least as I went to a design college for two years and dealed with this everyday, but these were the final drawing persay of production looking cars. He said the main problem and I believe him was the Chassis GM went with at the time and what the bean counters wanted. The track on both cars was too narrow, Chassis was to narrow and this in turn created what once was a gorgeous sketch into an out of proportion, narrow and high disaster.

The problem I believe isn't the designers talent , but instead what the designers are told not to do. It can't be too out-there, or mold breaking, has to look very similar to last generation blah blah blah. I think brand resemblence is a good thing, but let the designers stretch their creative muscle a little more beyond what the corporate money counters want. The new Impala for example is good looking and a decent sedan, but thats it. The G8 is a OK sedan and in my opinion a lazy way to bring back a good RWD pontiac sedan. GM needs to STOP building 3-5 variations of each car, such as the Saturn outlook, Buick Enclave, and now the Chevy Traverse:crazy: Wasn't GM trying to eliminate badge engineering?

Interior problems. I agree with GM also making the interiors look to generic and similar to some of the cheap korean/chinese knock offs. I can gaurantee you GM has the resources/ talent and funds to make unique/high class and class leading interiors, it all comes down to the bean counters though. Interiors on 90% of GM cars have never been up to par with even FORD from the 80s and up. My question is what happened to the very very unique interiors, heck exteriors of the 50's,60's,70's? I know some were boats to drive, but dam& they looked good and they had character.

GM should seriously drop SAAB, sad to say but maybe even Buick that brand has been tarnished since the late 70s and the Enclave isn't an excuse for things getting alot better, Hummer? great profits , but needs alot of updates. GM should keep Chevrolet, Pontiac,Cadillac,GMC and Saturn.

Chevrolet-CORVETTE,CAMARO,MALIBU,IMPALA,TAHOE,Suburban and Silverado

Pontiac-G4= small rwd compact car,G8,new GTO,G9-sporty Cross Over

Cadillac-CTS, ETS=7 series competitor,RTS=Rollsroyce, Bentley competitor
LTS-bentley coupe competitor 100k dollar range.

GMC= Colorado=small truck,Sierra=VERY construction site orriented with features not available on Silverado. More HD and stronger and more of a work truck , not all around truck like silverado, BIG trucks like the Top Kick, and possibly Semi's.

Saturn-Scion brand competitor= Aura-base compact car,Orion-small tall wagon-XB thing,Venus-base volkswagen polo/rabbit convert car.
Plutanium-Small, bold cross-over SUV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.