Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has there been any discussion on the Transmission? Love to see a Sequential gearbox with a bump shaft. I’ve rented a few Chevy’s with the paddle shifts levers and I don’t like them.

:thud:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
i dont see it, would be rather cost prohibitive. personally i would love to see a CVT automatic

·
Registered
822 Posts
some of the transmissions gm is putting into their new cars lead me to think it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for them to develop a single clutch, sequential, 6 or 7 speed auto. I would only consider it over a manual if it could shift reasonably quickly and they actually put real paddles in it(right up, left down, and they are fixed to the column and don't turn with the wheel).

·
Registered
38 Posts
A while ago a Saab engineer said in an interview that before GM's implosion they were working on a wet double clutch semi automatic transmission that could handle over 620 lbs/ft of torque. Only one GM car achieve those figures...

About costs that tranny could be used on Corvettes, -V Cadillacs, Australian Holden's and perhaps even the ZL1 Camaro. Many cars so I think the costs could be justified. Also that gearbox should give you better MPG's than a conventional automatic.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
A while ago a Saab engineer said in an interview that before GM's implosion they were working on a wet double clutch semi automatic transmission that could handle over 620 lbs/ft of torque. Only one GM car achieve those figures...

About costs that tranny could be used on Corvettes, -V Cadillacs, Australian Holden's and perhaps even the ZL1 Camaro. Many cars so I think the costs could be justified. Also that gearbox should give you better MPG's than a conventional automatic.
The Duramax diesels?:huh:

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
The Doug Fehan video alluded to a dual clutch paddle setup.

A manual 6 speed is all I need, don't care if I'm slower than an automated manual box.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Doug Fehan video alluded to a dual clutch paddle setup.

A manual 6 speed is all I need, don't care if I'm slower than an automated manual box.
I agree with you, however there are a lot of vette guys who don't know how to use the stick. My aunt's husband is a big corvette guy (he has a C4) but he doesn't know how to use a manual gearbox. I think for those people is important to have a clutch-less pedal option. Also if GM wants to expand the Corvette's market into Asian and European markets, they need a 'modern' gearbox like Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes Benz and BMW.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
the best we could hope for would be a planetary computer controlled paddle shift automatic that comes without a torque convertor... in the same vein as AMG technology.

Doubt it will happen but if we are lucky GM will go this route.

Recently drove my buddies SL63 with this technology and it was dam impressive.

I've been driving manuals for 30 years but I want this new technology if not dual clutch transmission tech..

·
Banned
7,823 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
Gm in the future will give a corvette a dct it is just a matter of time.
It is a matter of time, I am ok with it as long as it replaces the automatic transmission and not the manual transmission.

·
Registered
38 Posts
the best we could hope for would be a planetary computer controlled paddle shift automatic that comes without a torque convertor... in the same vein as AMG technology.

Doubt it will happen but if we are lucky GM will go this route.

Recently drove my buddies SL63 with this technology and it was dam impressive.

I've been driving manuals for 30 years but I want this new technology if not dual clutch transmission tech..
Actually Mercedes s replacing their automatic gearboxes for DCT in their AMG models. the first one to have one was the SLS The DCT will appear next on the new C63 AMG

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Actually Mercedes s replacing their automatic gearboxes for DCT in their AMG models. the first one to have one was the SLS The DCT will appear next on the new C63 AMG
It will be interesting to see. I've read the new mercedes AMG C63 will have a MCT gearbox which is the planetary gear type with computer control instead of a torque convertor..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts