Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far along in the process to you think GM is now in the process of making the C7? I know no one knows for sure but I dont have a clue so a guess would be cool. Its due in 2009, and will come out end of 2008 right?

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Since the last bit of concrete SS/LS9 info, I've only been dealt a dumptruck load of disinformation and conflicting info. Nothing worth posting.

And nothing that would answer your question.

·
Registered
115 Posts
C7 already????

Yeah, I haven't heard anything new on the C7 but personally I think it would be too fast of a transition from C6 to 7, only 3 years of one generation? althought the greatest was only 5 (C2) that wouldn't be very cost effictive for gm,But who knows they need to be doing some drastic outrageous **** to get out of the trouble they're in now, and they have been ..... the 06' Z06 (Viper Killer) is a perfect example, and also the talks about the SS corvette (soon to be lambo and ferrari killer) they're finally after all these years giving the vette fans what they want........ POWER !!!! and lots of it. :partyon: :partyon:

·
Registered
43 Posts
The idea of having two generations of Corvette available at the same time would make sense to me. One reason is that Chevy needs a high end Corvette since the Z06s seem to be selling very well and many buyers are purchasing more than one. There is a market for a $100k+ Corvette (although higher fuel prices may make me eat those words). Another reason is if Chevy produces a SS Corvette or C7 (even under another name), they would still cater to the Corvette base by offering the C6 while still maintaining the value. Look at what happened to the C5 when the C6 was released. In my area, the price for a new C5 dropped 10% off MSRP within a few months after C6 shipped to dealers.

If anyone had a C5 to trade in for a C6 or trying to sell after the C6 debut, they might have evidence to support or dispute this claim.

Result: build a C7 world-class exotic fighter and keep the C6 for the people that can afford a Corvette now and allow current C6 owners to maintain the value of their investment.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The beauty of Corvettes is that if well maintained, any generation holds considerable resale value.

I own a C5 04' MSG verte that I purchased after the 05' C6 was introduced. I decided on the C5 primarily because the deal was so good and secondly because I loved the color.

The other day while running errands a man approached me after seeing me park the car. He gave me his business card and asked me to call him first when I decide to trade/sell. He wants to buy a C6 Z06 next year, however told me he always liked the lines of the C5 and "really liked the color" of my car. :D

I agree that a 4 or 5-year run (2005-2008/2009?) is short, however I think my timing will be right to choose between 3 generations of nice Vettes. (Since I might already have a buyer lined up). :laughing:

·
Registered
115 Posts
AndresZL1 said:
The idea of having two generations of Corvette available at the same time would make sense to me. One reason is that Chevy needs a high end Corvette since the Z06s seem to be selling very well and many buyers are purchasing more than one. There is a market for a $100k+ Corvette (although higher fuel prices may make me eat those words). Another reason is if Chevy produces a SS Corvette or C7 (even under another name), they would still cater to the Corvette base by offering the C6 while still maintaining the value. Look at what happened to the C5 when the C6 was released. In my area, the price for a new C5 dropped 10% off MSRP within a few months after C6 shipped to dealers.

If anyone had a C5 to trade in for a C6 or trying to sell after the C6 debut, they might have evidence to support or dispute this claim.

Result: build a C7 world-class exotic fighter and keep the C6 for the people that can afford a Corvette now and allow current C6 owners to maintain the value of their investment.
yeah, you're definetly right about there being a market for a 100k plus corvette, but what I hear is the ss will be under 100k, but making a C6 supercar will not warrant it being a whole other generation, there has never been two generations in the same model year. But I don't think when the SS is produced it will affect the C6 base price, it will just be another supercar available like the C2's when the big block came out it was just another performance option.

·
Registered
115 Posts
RedBarchetta said:
The beauty of Corvettes is that if well maintained, any generation holds considerable resale value.

I own a C5 04' MSG verte that I purchased after the 05' C6 was introduced. I decided on the C5 primarily because the deal was so good and secondly because I loved the color.

The other day while running errands a man approached me after seeing me park the car. He gave me his business card and asked me to call him first when I decide to trade/sell. He wants to buy a C6 Z06 next year, however told me he always liked the lines of the C5 and "really liked the color" of my car. :D

I agree that a 4 or 5-year run (2005-2008/2009?) is short, however I think my timing will be right to choose between 3 generations of nice Vettes. (Since I might already have a buyer lined up). :laughing:
yeah, I totally agree, that's why I bought a brand new 06' cause I wasn't really worried about the depreciation, it's very minimal with a corvette, I know I will have no problem selling next year for 50k, and I'll be able to get the GS convertible I want, and a C5 Z06, although I love my car I don't really see it being a collector of high value in the future, and I think the C5's are the most ground breaking generation of vettes since the C2, the technology jumped leaps and bounds from the C4, and the C5 Z06 was almost revoutionary for the domestic sports car the ZR-1 was a high performer but the price was just ridiculous, not the C5 Z06, you could almost buy two Z06's for one ZR-1 with comparable performance, in some areas better.

·
Registered
457 Posts
fdsjr said:
How far along in the process to you think GM is now in the process of making the C7? I know no one knows for sure but I dont have a clue so a guess would be cool. Its due in 2009, and will come out end of 2008 right?
I would suggest if able to get your slot now with your dealer. I just got mine in like I have for my 405 and 505 Z06.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I found this while i was web surfing...

2007 Corvette Order Guide

Last week, GM released the official order guide for 2007 Corvettes. While we already alerted you to the major changes for the 2007 model, I thought it would be appropriate to post the entire guide with options and colors offered for each Corvette model:

2007 Order Guide Information

Three models:
1YY07 Corvette Coupe
1YY67 Corvette Convertible
1YY87 Corvette Z06 Coupe

1YY07 Coupe Information:
3 Packages; 1LT, 2LT, 3LT
2 Transmissions: MX0 Automatic, MN6 6 Speed

Options:
F55 Suspension Package
Z51 Suspension Package
QG7 Polished Wheels
QX1 Competition Gray Wheels
QX3 Chrome Wheels
R8C Museum Delivery
U3U Navigation with Single CD
VK3 Front License Plate Bracket
CC3 Transparent Top
C2L Transparent and Painted Top

Interior:
023 Cobalt Red
193 Ebony
313 Cashmere
843 Titanium
026 Cobalt Red Two Tone
316 Cashmere Two Tone
846 Titanium Two Tone

Colors:
10U Arctic White
19U LeMans Blue Metallic
41U Black
45U Velocity Yellow Tintcoat
67U Machine Silver Metallic
74U Victory Red
80U Monterey Red Metallic
83U Atomic Orange Metallic Tintcoat

1YY67 Convertible Information:
2 Packages; 2LT, 3LT
2 Transmissions: MX0 Automatic, MN6 6 Speed

Options:
CM7 Power Convertible Top
F55 Suspension Package
Z51 Suspension Package
QG7 Polished Wheels
QX1 Competition Gray Wheels
QX3 Chrome Wheels
R8C Museum Delivery

Interior:
023 Cobalt Red
193 Ebony
313 Cashmere
843 Titanium
026 Cobalt Red Two Tone
316 Cashmere Two Tone
846 Titanium Two Tone

Colors:
10U Arctic White
19U LeMans Blue Metallic
41U Black
74U Victory Red
80U Monterey Red Metallic

Top Colors:
29T Storm Gray
35T Beige
41T Black

1YY87 Z06 Coupe Information:
2 Packages; 1LZ, 2LZ
1 Transmissions: MN6 6 Speed

Options:
QL9 Polished Wheels
Q44 Competition Gray Wheels
R8C Museum Delivery

Interior:
023 Cobalt Red
193 Ebony
843 Titanium

Colors:
19U LeMans Blue Metallic
41U Black
74U Victory Red

New Dealer Accessories Available for 2007:

Racing spoiler
Body side moldings
Racing stripe package
Z06 sillplates
Z06 427 hood badge
Hood blanket with color logo

·
Registered
85 Posts
fdsjr said:
The post below was first made on digitalcorvettes.com on 02-10-2004 at 06:32 PM

moore_rb
C5 Tech Guru

Member: #1975
Located: Mesa, Arizona

My Corvette
97 Coupe with a 2004 LS6 engine in it.

-----------------------------------------------------

Take this with a grain of salt (and pray)
OMG!!!

Sit down before reading this. It could be life changing....

An old friend of mine who is a GM Powertrain Tech in Warren, MI called me out of the blue today (4pm AZ time). I haven't talked to him since our daughter was born this past July. Anyway, he said he just found out they got their budget to do beta development on the "C7's" powertrain. I said , C7? You guys haven't started selling C6's yet!

He say's all this talk of the "Blue Devil" C6 is misinformation meant to keep the journalists at bay. He says there won't be a "Blue Devil" version of the C6. He said that there will be a Z06 or Z07 (as yet undetermined) version of C6 that will be a 2006 model. It will make 50-75 more HP than the C6's LS2.

Here's where it gets interesting:

He says the "C7" will be out, possibly in 07, more likely in 08, and that GM will sell BOTH platforms concurrently.

Both cars will carry the Corvette badge, but each will be significantly different in design, layout, and capability.

Are you sitting down?

He says the C7 is MID-ENGINED. The chassis is coming from the Cadillac Cien concept car, and the price tag WILL be north of 100 grand. They are targetting the Lamborghini Murcielago as the performance benchmark. I asked about the engine layout (OHC, multi valve, aspiration), but he wouldn't tell me. He just said I'd love it.

Like I said, take it with a grain of salt, but this is the same guy who told me in July that the C6 had exposed headlights, an open cowl, and that the interior looked like a reworked C5's.
I trust him. I'm gonna FREAK if he turns out right again.

Of course I will continue badgering the hell out of him to keep leaking info. And no, none of you can know his name. I don't want to lose him his job.

And, coincidentally, 18 months earlier:

Kyle Teichert put the above art on the CorvetteForum.com October 4, 2002. It is a redrawn Cadillac Cien V-12 show car.

David

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
I think that we can safely say that there is not going to be a mid engined Corvette.

I also find it doubtful that we will see both Corvette platforms on sale at the same time.

Instead expect the Corvette to follow the Porsche 911 model meaning many different variations of the same car to fit your needs/taste.

·
Registered
424 Posts
palmeter said:
I would love to see a Corvette like this,I think it would be a instant hit.I think the Porsche 911 idea sucks,we already have three versions (vert,coupe,Z06) of the C6. An exotic body like the Cien,would fit a 100k Vette perfectly.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
dontthink we will see a c7 for a couple of years after the ss hits the streets. it will look like a z with subtle changes and a blown ls3. once that gets done we will see a new model when the new one slows down in sales. until them let them keep pumping them out . this is the best looking, handleing vette to date why change the way it looks...well except the damn grill but you can do what i did and ge the good one with some work!!!

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
I think that they only planned to have the C6 in production for 5-7 years, so 2010-2012 is when Im expecting to see the C7 Corvette.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
DOC7000 said:
I think that they only planned to have the C6 in production for 5-7 years, so 2010-2012 is when Im expecting to see the C7 Corvette.
5 to 7 years--:agree:. I'm not sure its such a good idea to divide the Corvette's limited development resources between two platforms. Besides, the mid-engine layout tends not to be very practical, which is a Corvette strength that I'd like to see continue. Personally, I'd rather see a front engined Corvette beat the supersnob cars from Europe. If Chevy can manage to move 55% of the Corvette's mass over its rear tires, which I think they could, how much extra real-world benefit would you get by switching to mid-engine (and losing the trunk, leg room, and possibly some of the affordability).

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
I hope that the rumored Ferrari Dino comes out.

that should shut the world up on front engined cars.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
well the Cadilac Northstar SC motor is fitted. Should not be long now:rolling:

I think the Cadavette Super Seville is probably rolling around test tracks as we speak.

:rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I really hope we don't see a a rear mounted mid-engined Corvette. This is my reasoning.

I like to watch alot of SCCA racing. The Porsche 944 is one of my favorite cars, and it's much like the Corvette, having a front engine but maintaining a near perfect weight balance between axles. Cars that you'll see in SCCA racing, though not so common, like the Porsche Boxster and MR2 also share a good weight balance. Let's even assume that these cars are all in modified divisions and they all have a 50/50 weight split. Why can cars like the 944 and the Corvette pull off tricky oversteer maneuvers in corners while the mid-engined cars just spin?

I've been told this is because the weight in cars like the Corvette is polarized, or more so towards the ends then in the middle. The mid-engined cars are center-heavy then, creating something like a spinning top. Thats why they are prone to spinouts and difficult to recover when they do spin.

Basically what I'm saying is that making a car mid-engined is the cheap way to creating a good weight balance. But you get what you pay for! Why not use that real American engineering that we have and do it the right way, like in the Z06.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts