Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
C&D is reporting again that there will be 4 engine options in the C8 over the next few years:

1. An LT based OHV with approximately 500 HP

2. A 5.5-liter DOHC V8 making around 600 hp with a flat-plane crank that will allow it to rev up to 9000 rpm. However, production engines will be rev-limited to assure reliability and longevity.

3. Add two turbos to #2. above to boost power up to the 750-800 range.

1-3 will weigh in around 3,500 lbs [LT: My guess is that the OHV will come in as much as 75 lbs lighter than the DOHC and more than 100 lbs lighter than the TT DOHC so this statement makes no sense to me] and will send the power to the rear wheels through an eight-speed dual clutch transaxle co-developed with Tremec.

4. The e-Ray: C&D is still promising 1,000 hp from a hybrid drive system. The addition of an electric motor making about 200 hp where the frunk would normally go will send power to the front wheels to bring the total near 1,000 HP via the all-wheel drive set up.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,394 Posts
The times they are a-changin'

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back in the '80's a base C4 could be had for ~$28k and the top option was a Calloway Twin Turbo at $75k. So the TT was 2.68 times the price of the base Vette.

The C7 starts at $55.5k and tops out at $132.9k for a 2.39 spread.

In order to match the C4's 2.68 factor, if the C8 starts at $64k for the OHV the top model, loaded would need to be priced at $172k.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Its going to come down to how much money you have .
How much your trade in is worth.
How much CREDIT YOU HAVE.
How much you can afford for monthly payments with Full Insurance Coverage.

1000 Hp Be Good Longtimer.
Those C4 ZR-1 Corvettes sold for a Premium.
All Dealers marked the window sticker up Double on each.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,394 Posts
Its going to come down to how much money you have .
How much your trade in is worth.
How much CREDIT YOU HAVE.
How much you can afford for monthly payments with Full Insurance Coverage.

1000 Hp Be Good Longtimer.
Those C4 ZR-1 Corvettes sold for a Premium.
All Dealers marked the window sticker up Double on each.
Don't forget desire. I've got the money but I have no desire to spend north of 150K-170K even for a Vette

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
It seems to be a marketing strategy.
With Dodge Super Car and Musclecar production ending with no more Hellcats, 1000 Hp Demon and Vipers gone.

Only Ford is Left .
Mustang can not compete Road Race.
Drag Race they can.

C8 will go against The Very Best.
Porshe.
Ferrari.
Lamborghini.

It will be priced high likely.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm getting so old, I remember when the C8 was supposed to be a 2017 model....lol.

I hope they do a DOHC again. That would be great. It seems so odd that the only DOHC option GM ever did for the Corvette was for the C4 ZR-1. But I guess the sales figures for that car sealed the fate of any more DOHCs appearing in Corvettes.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Back in the '80's a base C4 could be had for ~$28k and the top option was a Calloway Twin Turbo at $75k. So the TT was 2.68 times the price of the base Vette.

The C7 starts at $55.5k and tops out at $132.9k for a 2.39 spread.

In order to match the C4's 2.68 factor, if the C8 starts at $64k for the OHV the top model, loaded would need to be priced at $172k.
Ford GT is over $400k, and Ford has to believe that the buyer is worthy before being allowed to spend your $'s....

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ford GT is over $400k, and Ford has to believe that the buyer is worthy before being allowed to spend your $'s....
Ford is using a turnkey manufacturer (little or no capital investment) limiting units at 250/ year. GM just spent $700+Million on the Corvette factory that has been selling ~30,000 units per year. GM did not invest that much in capital improvements to sell FEWER cars than in the past. Therefore, the C8 pricing will not be significantly more than a C7. Any buyer willing to sign on the dotted line is "worthy" of owning a C8.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts