Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we saw an extremely rare item, an unsold C8. We had a C6 for 11 years and loved it. I took it to the strip, did track days with it and we drove it through 44 states. It was our favorite trip machine. For the last few years we’ve planned to replace it with a C8 and today we got to see one up close.
My wife has long legs and always felt cramped as a passenger in the C6. The good news, the C8 has way more leg room!
We carried two small suitcases, camera bags and such in the C6 with no difficulties. The C8 will be much more challenging. The storage is divided between trunk and frunk and it’s oddly shaped. Soft suitcases or duffel bags only and that shelf behind the seats is gone. Not great news, but we could probably make it work.
However… the interior is 100% driver focused. The passenger is just more luggage with absolutely nothing to do and no access to displays or controls. For us this may be a dealbreaker. I’ve heard a rumor that they may change this situation. I hope it’s true.

·
Super Moderator
10,159 Posts
...the interior is 100% driver focused. The passenger is just more luggage with absolutely nothing to do and no access to displays or controls. For us this may be a dealbreaker. I’ve heard a rumor that they may change this situation. I hope it’s true.
True. Apparently, your observation is shared by many others. Motor Trend and others are saying that the interior will get a refresh in 2023 that "fixes" the button buttress. The new Top Designer, Michael Simcoe had originally scheduled a significant C8 redesign inside and out for 2025 (he is obviously not a fan of Peter's design, but took power too late to change it). GM nixed the early-mid-cycle change ($$$$$ needed for the Corporate "Electrify conversions). However, GM made the $$$ available for the interior redo. THAT speaks volumes about customer/owner feedback IMO - if it happens.

There are two reasons this might not happen.
1. Currently you have to stand in line to stand in line to buy a new C8 from the dealer and used C8s sell at a premium. Translation: at this point in time, the market is starving for C8s exactly the way it is being produced. Why should GM invest big $$$ for an interior redesign for a model they cannot meet the demand for currently?
2. The last time GM made a major change to a production Corvette was the C4. That change included a mild exterior change and these changes were made 7 years into the C4 generation when sales were waining.

So when buyers are salivating for C8s and GM is spending billions migrating to electric vehicles, will they really change interiors on the C8 four years into the Generation?

Reactions: HN376RAR

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So when buyers are salivating for C8s and GM is spending billions migrating to electric vehicles, will they really change interiors on the C8 four years into the Generation?
You are absolutely correct. Perhaps if the new designer has a lot of pull...
If not, we'll be looking at something like the Cadillac CT4-V or CT5-V to take advantage of our GM card savings. Fully loaded, they're still thousands less than the C8, more storage (back seat), better passenger experience, probably better trip cars overall and performance very similar to our C6. I could take those to track days and still have a good time.

I dearly miss my Monterrey Red car. I'm sure you're still enjoying yours. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,159 Posts
I dearly miss my Monterrey Red car. I'm sure you're still enjoying yours. :)
I've always enjoyed it, but my Z-51 has always had a traction problem. Last time I needed new tires I was able to find some Michs that were one size larger but NOT as big as the Z06 sizes that throw stones onto the non-wide body tires. These were hard to find and I suspect they will be impossible to find next time I need them, but they improved the handling (not that it needed any improvement) and dramatically improved traction. I can still fishtail if I hit the gas stupid hard in 3rd, but I try hard not to be stupid often. :) They might be a tad louder but that's smothered by the Billy Boats ... unless I close the valve when my wife is in attendance. As much as I love it, I wish I could rationalize a C8 right now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts