Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What? "Not Fair," you say? You mean because the Lambo costs almost $130k more? ...or because it drives 4 wheels not 2? ...or because it has two more cylinders than the C8? ...or because it has about 140 more HP? You make some good points. We know that the C8 holds its own with the 750HP Shelby 500 pretty well, but the Lambo IS a mid-engine, so where's the edge? Oddly enough the C8's "lower tech" V8 has a 28 MORE Ft-Lb torque and it, like the pushrod HP comes on hard at a much, much lower RPM. So the stats say they both hit 0-60 in 2.8 sec. The Lambo top speed is 204 vs 194 in the C8, but when did you last drive anywhere near a century and a half much less close to two centuries?

So "Not Fair?" Well yeah, you might be right. Lambo doesn't have a suspension that reads the road every few milliseconds to smooth out bumps and eliminate ugly road surprises, in mid-curve as well as straights. Automobile Magazine actually published a C8 vs Lambo comparo and their article can be summed up in about three sentences:
1. No potential Lambo buyer is going to walk into a Chevrolet dealer even for C8, regardless of how good it is. (I think they are wrong and I will explain below)
2. The C8 has the same 'Glam Attraction' level as the Lambo in a package that is much easier to live with daily on the streets while just about matching the Lambo at the track. Despite the price difference the only 'compromise' is in the name.
3. AM also points out that the Stingray Z-51 is just the opening/base salvo in the Corvette performance value war. Wait until the Euro exotics have to take on the Z06 and the 900 - 1,000 HP Hybrid.

·
Super Moderator
10,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As to WHY I think Automobile Magazine is wrong about point #1:
Right after the C8 debuted in Tustin, Ca and we learned the basic details about it, I was curious about what Ferrari owners thought, so I went to their forum, found a discussion about the C8 and read several pages - dozens of posts. Full disclosure; I did NOT read a single post implying a current Ferrari owner would be trading his beloved beast in for a C8. HOWEVER, there were MULTIPLE posts saying something along the line of "$60k for a ~500HP mid-engine I can driver every day, rack up miles and NOT loose $20-30k in depreciation! I need one of these for a daily driver while the Ferrari awaits in the garage."
What's good for the Ferrari owner might also benefit the Lambo owner. IMO, Chevy dealers WILL see some foot traffic from Exotic Car owners and I can't wait to re-visit the Ferrari Forum in a year or so and see what they are saying about the C8.
JMHO

1 - 2 of 2 Posts