Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Long time away for me and I think my situation is pretty good now. I'm considering ordering a C8Z, but don't know where to start. It appears that other forums scoff at the thought that people haven't been on waiting list since 2019 and shouldn't ask, but I figured the crowd here is much better. I have a local dealership that was #21 on the Corvette sales list last year nationwide. I dropped in today to get my oil changed on the 22 Silverado and talked to my salesman. He says they do not have a C8 Z06 list and aren't taking deposits yet. Everywhere else apparently has lists that are 3 years in the making. Would it be possible that my dealership would get allocations on the 21st (first day they drop) and they would start their official list and take deposits then? I know I'm not getting a 2023 or heck maybe not even a 2024, but want to be on the list. I don't know where to start and not sure if my dealership is the place to start. I'd love to keep buying my cars from my guy, but if they don't have an official list (he has one of me and 5 other guys in his desk), is it even possible that I could get a reservation?

Thanks for reading.

· DC PIT CREW BOSS
25,642 Posts
From what I've read and understand is that a lot of dealers that started lists and had dozens of people on it, some with deposits and some without have scrapped the list and refunded deposits. Two things come to mind. One, they have no idea how many they will get on the allocation and Two they are planning on really gouging the buyers for 25K-50K or even more. If you guy will keep your name close for when they do get they allocation allowance be super nice to him

Reactions: HN376RAR

· Premium Member
1,414 Posts
I remember when the new T bird came out they were getting 30k over MSRP. Like Norm said dealerships are ripping people off. No car is worth getting robbed over. Want will separate you from your money. So be wise and be patient.

· Registered
16 Posts
Mr. Shark, May I suggest that you contact Mike Furman of Criswell Chevrolet in Gaithersburg MD. I purchased my C8 from him last year. I've found Mike to be a straight shooter. He's a salesman, but a Corvette enthusiast also. If anyone will give the straight scoop, I think Mike will. FYI, he will arrange to drop ship a Corvette to your local dealer. It's a good enough place to start.
Good Luck.

· Registered
15 Posts
Side story and unrelated but this thread/posts made me think of it. Decades ago I wanted a 2000 Harley...and was on the verge of getting married so time was of the essence. No dealer in New England had one...so I had to order from dealer in Illinois and get it shipped to local dealer. Posts on want vs need are spot on. Best of luck.

· Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys,

Long time away for me and I think my situation is pretty good now. I'm considering ordering a C8Z, but don't know where to start. It appears that other forums scoff at the thought that people haven't been on waiting list since 2019 and shouldn't ask, but I figured the crowd here is much better. I have a local dealership that was #21 on the Corvette sales list last year nationwide. I dropped in today to get my oil changed on the 22 Silverado and talked to my salesman. He says they do not have a C8 Z06 list and aren't taking deposits yet. Everywhere else apparently has lists that are 3 years in the making. Would it be possible that my dealership would get allocations on the 21st (first day they drop) and they would start their official list and take deposits then? I know I'm not getting a 2023 or heck maybe not even a 2024, but want to be on the list C8 Z06. I don't know where to start and not sure if my dealership is the place to start. I'd love to keep buying my cars from my guy, but if they don't have an official list (he has one of me and 5 other guys in his desk), is it even possible that I could get a reservation?

Thanks for reading.
Hello. Will the dealers get Z06 allocation in conjunction with Stingray or separately? I.e. will their number be for total C8s of which dealers decide which ones will be Z06 or will the Z06s be separately rationed? My dealer is a lower volume but shortest "days on lot" guy. He should be getting a bigger allocation of Stingrays for sure but IDK if that will apply to me and my waitlisted Z06.

· Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
The only way to keep up with your situation is to keep in contact with your salesperson for updates. If you think you are gettting the run around, contact one of the big Corvette dealers and ask questions, most of those experienced sales folks can get you an answer.

· Administrator
10,197 Posts
Hello. Will the dealers get Z06 allocation in conjunction with Stingray or separately? I.e. will their number be for total C8s of which dealers decide which ones will be Z06 or will the Z06s be separately rationed? My dealer is a lower volume but shortest "days on lot" guy. He should be getting a bigger allocation of Stingrays for sure but IDK if that will apply to me and my waitlisted Z06.
My understanding is that GM has a "Corvette Allocation" list, specifying how many Vettes will go to each of the dealers and when they will go. However, according to what I heard, no one except GM knows how they plan the Z06 [production and dealer distribution]. I don't know if this is true or not. Here's what I think is true:
1. Bowling Green is currently producing at a rate of approximately 160-197 cars per day and some of those are Z06). This is the highest "normal" production rate for two shifts at BG. Could they go to a 3-shift operation? I do recall at attempt to put three shifts in place many years ago. I THINK I recall that it was ultimately deemed an unsuccessful experiment, but I'm not positive. In the face of the continued high demand, it IS possible that they could have another try at it.
2. There was a significant drop in the BG daily production rate when the Z06 was eased into the production line - understandably. This type of production drop will happen again as the E-Ray, ZR1, and Zora begin their respective entry into Bowling Green. Depending upon the mix, some of the newer models will have a significantly more complicated bill of materials and longer individual build times which will reduce the daily production cited above. So a production week/month with a heavy percentage of E-Rays, for example, will slow the production line down dramatically versus a week/month of nothing but Stingrays. This means that fewer Z06s and Stingrays production will drop even lower as the more complicated E-Ray and Zora are produced. Their electric motors, batteries, and hybrid systems obviously add more complication to production. The ZR1 might be fairly close to the Z06 in production time but longer due to the turbos and intercoolers required. All of these factors will negatively impact future Z06 deliveries.
3. GM has said that dealers showing C8s in inventory for lengthy periods will be assumed to be flooring them with large market adjustments and will have their future allocations reduced. Therefore, large dealers MUST move the inventory at a reasonable pace or see a reduction in new Vettes coming in. GM could also penalize them by reducing the Z06s to be sent to them.
4. . When I placed my orders for a Stingray and a Z06 in March of 2022, I was told my Stingray would be reading in about 9 months, but the Z06 would be 24-36 months. The dealer is a very large dealer in Florida who required a $500 deposit per vehicle, refundable up until the order is placed with GM (approximately 2-3 months prior to production). My NCM Stingray delivery is currently scheduled for February 1, about 11 months, not 9, from placing my name on the list. I've asked recently about the Z06 and they seem to be guessing at 24 months remaining. BTW, both orders are at MSRP with promises from the dealer that the deliveries will follow the list of names with no changes or "cuts" in line for Market Adjustments.

Hope this helps

· DC PIT CREW BOSS
25,642 Posts
I don't think they will up production by going to 3 shifts. Supply chain problems would be enormous. GM has ordered parts at a certain rate of delivery and if just one supplier can't up the delivery schedule then the whole line would shut down waiting on parts

· Administrator
10,197 Posts
Torch is absolutely right. However, given that GM knows when they intend to introduce each of the new models and what each bill of materials is, there is no reason they cannot provide each appropriate supplier with plenty of lead time to increase their production volume accordingly. GM is VERY "hands-on" with their suppliers - who in tern try to be with their suppliers. The farther we move away from the Covid days, the better faster the supply chain heals. That said, I would be surprised if they add a 3rd shift.

· Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
You do have to take into consideration that even the suppliers may have supply chain issues as well, like not getting the raw material to manufacture whatever GM is needing. Rolls more downhill than up.

· Administrator
10,197 Posts
All part of working with the suppliers ahead of time. If they see issues incapable of being resolved, they wouldn't start the 3rd shift...IF IT WAS even being considered. Still, it's hard to say that they absolutely won't add one because it would certainly help resolve the hyper-demand situation that is only going to get worse as they introduce more new models.

· Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
I don't see a third shift happening, that entails possibly hiring a full compllment of workers which would eventually all get laid off once caught up. These folks would have to be trained, I could imagine the screw-ups coming off that asembly line.o_O

1 - 17 of 17 Posts