Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two Northern California businessmen have taken a Marin County seafood restaurant to small-claims court after a snail allegedly "exploded," spraying their faces and polo shirts with hot garlic butter and ruining one man's birthday dinner.

They say legal action could have been avoided had the eatery expressed sufficient remorse.

The 59-year-old plaintiffs (photo), Chadwick St.-OHarra, an information technology executive from Danville, east of Oakland, and Steve Righetti, a Sonoma businessman who owns an automotive shop in San Rafael, are suing the Seafood Peddler, in San Rafael's historic Canal area, the Marin Independent Journal reports. The restaurant's insurance company denied the men's claim, so they headed to small-claims court, which handles cases of $7,500 or less. The escargot cost $7.99.

A trial is scheduled for Dec. 3 in Marin County, just north of San Francisco.

The plaintiffs say the incident marred Righetti's birthday dinner in June.

St.-O'Harra, a former law student, claims the vision in one eye was temporarily impaired from butter in the tear duct, while Righetti claims the side of his nose was squirted.

"I was humiliated," Righetti told the IJ. "I thought, 'Do I need this on my birthday?'"

St.-OHarra said the incident caused "a sense of genuine outrage."

"I take my friend out to dinner, and this is the experience we have," he told the paper. "It was the indifference. It was the friggin' rudeness."

St.-O'Hara and Righetti did not seek immediate medical treatment and finished their meals (a filet-and-lobster combo for St.-OHarra, the seafood medley for Righetti). They later filed a claim against the restaurant.

"We didn't do anything wrong. He made up this story," restaurant owner Al Silvestri said of St.-O'Hara. "We sell thousands of escargot a year, I've never heard of anything like this."

The Marin Independent Journal writes that, according to one industry veteran, "escargot explosion" is a "rare but periodic phenomenon," perhaps because "air bubbles get trapped inside the cooked mollusk."

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of crying to me. Sue happy gays. Just dont take your life partner back there if you were not satisfied with the service.:crazy:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Why does it not surprise me this in N. California? Where else in the world would you expect someone who was "humiliated" and had his birthday party "ruined" by an unpreventable accident call his lawyer? There are so many people on that coast who have forgotten what common sense even looks like, we need to start requiring passports for them to leave that world and enter the real world of normal people. :crazy:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
That sounds reasonable, nobody wants exploding snails.

....Wait a minute!! Think about the military applications!

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Especially when you consider "Don't ask -Don't tell". :laughing:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
My bigmac was so messy to eat it ruined my anniversary celebration. :down:

Special sauce all over my rented tux. :WTF

As soon as I get home from Wal-Mart I’m going to call my lawyer Bill-Bob.:thumbsup:

This is going to be like winning the lotto.:D

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Stuffy little pussies, :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Who the hell else is going to eat a snail... :laughing:

Eh, guilty.............................BUT NOBODY WAS INJURED DAMMIT :lookinup:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I eaten lots of snails and even harvested and sold them for money in my College days. This is akin to suing because Lemon Juice squirting in someone's eye.

Just another worthless POS looking for easy money IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts