Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Caliper painting

3K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  84 GRANDSPORT 
#1 ·
Getting ready to paint my calipers again. Right now they are silver, should I leave them that way or paint them the color of the car. Also, what kind of paint is everyone using, epoxy, engine paint??? Hows it holding up??? Thanks in advance for any info.;)

#2 ·
Bob88con said:
Getting ready to paint my calipers again. Right now they are silver, should I leave them that way or paint them the color of the car. Also, what kind of paint is everyone using, epoxy, engine paint??? Hows it holding up??? Thanks in advance for any info.;)
Any high-temp paint will do it. For best adhesion, you are going to want to clean the hell out of those calipers and get all the brake-dust off of them. Brake cleaner works well for this.

And, I would mask off the caliper and spray-paint them using light coats. I would not brush it on.:thumbsup:

#3 ·
A high temp epoxy would be good.

After the wipe with brake cleaner and masking, follow up with a light wipe with laquer thinner.

The color depends on your car color and wheel finish.

#7 ·
Used the $39 kit from MAD and probably wouldn't recommend it.

Colors are kinda washed...you brush it on...absolutely need multiple coats just so it will look good.

I used the red kit that is too orange for my taste.

Spray sounds like it would have been a better option...or take them off and powder coat them!

#9 ·
daniel Sahin said:
im not sure if i should buy the paint because on west coast corvette they sell them at a very high price just wondering are those better quality calipers or are they the same but painted and if they are beter please explain
I believe the WCC calipers are pure stock (OEM), that have been painted.

Paint yourself and you'll learn how to change the rotors/pads and save a ton of $$$ at the same time.

Before you do any mods, I'd sugguest you spend some of your bucks over at Spring Mountain Advanced Driving School.

JAT
D

#10 · (Edited)
Man, I got a brush on caliper paint kit I think it was Duplicolor from my local auto parts store,which came with the brush ,paint and caliper cleaner . I did 2 coats of red and they still look great. I recommend the brush on type because there is very little masking to do. With spray paint you need to mask off the entire wheel well and you will still get overspray on some parts. I'm not saying it can't be done it's just a lot more work then the brush.If you use the brush on kit one tip, don't worry about getting a little paint on the corvette logo,after everything is dry just take a small pc of wet/dry sand paper and sand the letters back to a like new shine.

#13 ·
2 years ago i did mine with plain old rustolium red with a normal clear coat,plus i used a mascara brush and brushed it on,no brush strokes (don't tell wife) everyone thinks there powdercoated zo6 calipers.....daily driver..lots of weather..sorry,it's the closest pic i have of the calipers,i painted the letters black.

#14 ·
I bought the brake caliper paint kit made by Duplicolor from a local auto parts store. Will do them this summer and will post pics soon as I'm done.:)

#17 ·
No offence but why would you want to paint the calipers? It does not do anything and the effort could be spent doing something that will make he car go faster. Just seems like something a ricer would do.

:rolleyes:

But my borther painted his with black spray paint for barbicues that can stand up to +1000 drgrees and it is working out well.

#18 ·
Inspiron said:
No offence but why would you want to paint the calipers? It does not do anything and the effort could be spent doing something that will make he car go faster. Just seems like something a ricer would do.

But my borther painted his with black spray paint for barbicues that can stand up to +1000 drgrees and it is working out well.
In my case i would like the rears to match the fronts..

rears are silver..

fronts are:

#20 ·
Inspiron said:

Does this look like a ricer to you? It's just another thing that us vette guys can do on a saturday afternoon to make the other mods we've done to personalize our cars look better like a new set of wheels. And about the effort thing, if you are a true vette guy you will enjoy working on your car. Even painting the calipers gives you the opportunity to get to know a little more about the car.

#21 ·
Inspiron said:

Ummm What?:huh: I like my car to not only be fast but also look like a show car!:smokin: Its one of the least expensive mods you can do & it makes your car look way better! :smokin:

#22 ·
Painting the calipers really brings out the rims, and looks nice. People do this do their cars all the time and are not ricers. Ricer behavior is putting a big fart can pipe on your car, putting a shift light and huge tach on your car (which has an automatic transmission). Painted calipers, done right, looks classy.

Paul

#23 ·
Inspiron said:

Well,at least you were respectful in your comment.Anything left bare by the factory,needs to be painted or polished (in my opinion anyway).Capilers get dingy fast,paint'em up,and there hella easy to clean and look great too.

Most of you all know how i feel,if i like it,i will do it,no matter what stereotype it's grouped in with.If you don't like it,thats cool,but be respectful when saying so

#24 ·
Inspiron said:

Most high end sports cars usually have painted calipers i.e. 911's, Ferrari's even our own Z06's but we don't call them ricer cars, do we? :huh: , to each his/her own I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.