Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK it appears that the pasengers side rear tire sets 1/2" closer to the frame than the drivers side? Is this a fact?
I see now way it could just be assmbled like this the parts are pretty standard.

My car is a "71" coup.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Make sure the camber adjustment is exactly identical on both sides. Also make sure the offset/backspace on both rear wheels is the same before you get too worried. All that being good...if the body is not set on the frame just right, there will be a difference.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If you are going off the fenders and wheels then its probably just the body is not on the frame even. I have the same issue one of my wheels is tucked under while the other sticks out.

pressure sure your halfshafts are the same length, that would be the only thing that would throw it off. other than that its probably a camber issue. or rims

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
I just went out and checked... I agree with the above, it might be the camber...

You recently changed your trailing arms right ?
So it can't be that.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
OK it appears that the pasengers side rear tire sets 1/2" closer to the frame than the drivers side? Is this a fact?
I see now way it could just be assmbled like this the parts are pretty standard.

My car is a "71" coup.
Too much circle track driving! :thumbsup:
The suspension has shifted to the left from all the hard left turns. :devil:
:huh:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I drove my Vette to work today so I'll do some measurements for you. Over the years the only thing that I found to be different was the motor being offset to the passenger side by an inch. That gives our Vetted a straight shot to the rear end pinion.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts

My car is a "71" coup.
any chance the diff crossmember was shifted to one side on re-assembly? If it's off to one side by just 1/4" it would put one wheel 1/2" closer to the frame than the other :huh:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Ivan, If you have the adjustable strut rods on
yours like I have on mine, I think you can adjust
the rear over that much.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I measured mine and I have 2 inches on each side from the tire to the cross member/frame connection point.

I did my rear end a few months ago and You can not move the rear end side to side 1/4 if your cross member bushing are in good shape

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I measured mine and I have 2 inches on each side from the tire to the cross member/frame connection point.

I did my rear end a few months ago and You can not move the rear end side to side 1/4 if your cross member bushing are in good shape
I agree every thing is drilled and bolted, no way to move it. I'm going to go back and reassemble my wheels check every thing again. The half shafts hold the wheels a a specific distance from the rear end. the struts only change chamber at 0 camber the top and bottom of the tire is the same distance from the center line of the car.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Have you tried putting the left tire on the right and vise-versa? It may help eliminate some possibilities.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...OK it appears that the pasengers side rear tire sets 1/2" closer to the frame than the drivers side?...
Measured from where? It is the actual wheel assembly or the body? The bodies of these cars were often a tad crooked on the frames at the assembly plant.

My 68 is off about 1/2" on the right rear.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was measuring from the frame. I am making a custom Sway Bar, to fit with 275/40-18 rims and tires, and found no clearance on the passenger side...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts