Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey AJ have you ever upgraded or repaired an insprion 530s. I want to up grade themother board and processor, as well as ad an HDMI card. Where is the best place to get the parts for this model PC.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
530s is a slimline computer, and you're probably not going to be able to replace anything in it with off the shelf parts. Even if you could find a motherboard that would fit in it, you'd be limited on your choice of CPU heatsinks and you'd have to have a low profile video card.

It's probably possible, but you'd be better off adding a new case to your list of upgrades, it would eliminate all the hassles of trying to find stuff that's compatible with what you have now.

However, depending on what you are trying to do, you can probably upgrade the CPU and video card without upgrading the motherboard. Is there a problem with the motherboard you have now?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
530s is a slimline computer, and you're probably not going to be able to replace anything in it with off the shelf parts. Even if you could find a motherboard that would fit in it, you'd be limited on your choice of CPU heatsinks and you'd have to have a low profile video card.

It's probably possible, but you'd be better off adding a new case to your list of upgrades, it would eliminate all the hassles of trying to find stuff that's compatible with what you have now.

However, depending on what you are trying to do, you can probably upgrade the CPU and video card without upgrading the motherboard. Is there a problem with the motherboard you have now?
Thanks for your responce.......Long story short computer is 3 years old and slowing down quit a bit....just like a car when you hit a certain milage on a computer whats the comon parts to change on a PC after a long life of usage.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
If it is slower than it used to be, it's just collected so much junk over the years in the way of apps and hidden stuff that loads off of the internet that the processor is being kept busy with worthless tasks. If you wan to take the time, you can do a complete system restore assuming you still have the disks. This should give you the option of reformatting your hard drive and reloadingthe OS. If you do it, be sure and get any important data or pics off first and be prepared to reload all of your applications from scratch. Lots of work, but will speed you back up to original speed.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The other thing you have to worry about is the what type of case it is. I know most of the Dell cases are BTX instead of a standard ATX so not any old motherboard will do. If you have the know how, just build your own. That way you get what you want instead of the crap they throw at you and over charge.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Like everyone else has said, the Dell's aren't really "upgradeable". Either build a new PC from scratch using your Dell hard drives and CD-Rom, etc, or just completely start over...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thanks for your responce.......Long story short computer is 3 years old and slowing down quit a bit....just like a car when you hit a certain milage on a computer whats the comon parts to change on a PC after a long life of usage.
What do you typically do on your computer? When you say it's slowing down, what are you doing when you notice that it is slower now than it was before?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Though I seem like I know nothing about computers i do however know how to build them. However i dont know the best place to get the parts does any one know where i can get all the parts to build a new computer for about 2 to 300 bucks?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Too many parts on Dell's are proprietary so its hard to find upgradable parts. I sometimes find them on eBay.

or Newegg.com

Happy Hunting...

Best bet? if you get a new case, you won't have to worry about finding a motherboard that supports the power supply that Dell computers (only) use.

A lot of things to look at when cross using hardware with those proprietary machines.

Good deal out of the box, but not if you want to replace parts or upgrade.

Chris

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Though I seem like I know nothing about computers i do however know how to build them. However i dont know the best place to get the parts does any one know where i can get all the parts to build a new computer for about 2 to 300 bucks?
newegg.com is your best friend when it comes to buying computer parts. Tigerdirect is another one, but I don't suggest them nearly as highly as I do with Newegg.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help guys, I picked up an ATI HDMI video card , a new power supply, RAM, and wipped the computer.....So far its running good, and the 1080p Is awsome. Im using my flatpanel as a monitor. Now im gonna get a new monitor. What is a dongol connector and is the dongol better resolution than DVI.

The card has Dongol HDMI, and DVI.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, I picked up an ATI HDMI video card , a new power supply, RAM, and wipped the computer.....So far its running good, and the 1080p Is awsome. Im using my flatpanel as a monitor. Now im gonna get a new monitor. What is a dongol connector and is the dongol better resolution than DVI.

The card has Dongol HDMI, and DVI.
If the video card has a HDMI output, then you want to get a monitor with an HDMI input. The "dongle" sounds as if the video card came with a connector that plugs into the video card and has a HDMI fitting on the end of it. This is very typical of ATI with their proprietary crap engineering, and is exactly why I won't use ATI cards. Most manufactures just put a HDMI slot on their card and you simply plug the HDMI cable directly in to it. ATI just has to be different. Whatever you do, don't loose that dongle. ATI will probably not sell the dongle separately and will make you buy another card to get one.

I use nVidia cards myself. They don't pull this crap.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the video card has a HDMI output, then you want to get a monitor with an HDMI input. The "dongle" sounds as if the video card came with a connector that plugs into the video card and has a HDMI fitting on the end of it. This is very typical of ATI with their proprietary crap engineering, and is exactly why I won't use ATI cards. Most manufactures just put a HDMI slot on their card and you simply plug the HDMI cable directly in to it. ATI just has to be different. Whatever you do, don't loose that dongle. ATI will probably not sell the dongle separately and will make you buy another card to get one.

I use nVidia cards myself. They don't pull this crap.
I wanted to go with nvidia but I needed to get a 400 Watt power supply to run it. It was like $300 for that, and the card then the cable was another $50....I went with the ATI and the 300 watt power supply with a cable and it only cost me 140 for those. I didnt want to dump $350 into a $400 pc thats a couple years old, then have to buy another PC next year any way.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I understand. I like to build my PC's to last for years so I do dump a lot of cash into them.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I'm a big fan of Antec power supplies myself as they are the only ones that I have found to not die on me after a year or so. Then, I do run a lot of hard drives inside my boxes.

Maybe he meant the power supply and video card together with that price?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The last power supply I had die on me was an Ultra (they are sold exclusively through TigerDirect now) I won at a LAN. Fortunately it started making noise before it completely blew up. Other than that, I haven't had one go bad in years, and I don't always stick with the big name brands, lol. I do try to avoid the $10 ones though, lol. At the moment, I've got a Rosewill in my son's computer, a Silverstone Zeus in mine and a Logisys in my daughter's...OK, that one probably wasn't much more than $10. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts