Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Do NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just drill the housing and install an NPT plug. It will leak, guaranteed!!! The flor is pretty thin so not much meat for threads. Best is to either have an alu bung welded to the case or epoxy it on or use a thick plate, drill and tap that and then use 4 machine screws and a little gasket or sealer to seal it to the case. The best spot is in the deepest part right in front of the pinion, it's the area right between those 2 bolt holes

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
To add the plug:

1- remove aluminum diff
2- Install iron diff with hole tapped 1/4 npt
3- Drive the car

OK TT may right about those housing, I don't have one here. With aluminum housings- Muncies- I have tapped them 1/4 npt in the bottom where they are 1/4 thick. Then I use a 1/4 x1/8 bushings and 1/8 plug. Works good, does not leak, and there is no load on the 1/4 threads because you hold the hex bushing and use the 1/8 for the drain.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Is there anything wrong with drilling and tapping the cover like a truck? I can use this suction machine thing to suck out the old and then I can put the new in.

it would be 10x faster.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To add the plug:

1- remove aluminum diff
2- Install iron diff with hole tapped 1/4 npt
3- Drive the car
:laughing: Biased, are we? The Dana 44 is plenty strong enough for my Caprice powered Disco buggy. Maybe I'll put on smaller width tires.:laughing:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To add the plug:

With aluminum housings- Muncies- I have tapped them 1/4 npt in the bottom where they are 1/4 thick. Then I use a 1/4 x1/8 bushings and 1/8 plug. Works good, does not leak, and there is no load on the 1/4 threads because you hold the hex bushing and use the 1/8 for the drain.
That might be the ticket. Guess I'll wait for the gear change. Just about decided on 3.73, MAYBE 4.11.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
still have a 3.73 lying here, shipping will be a bitch though :rolling:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
no need to bring them, banks sells similar ones ;) and why go for manifolds, headers are nicer. Nelson will ship them to you right away, just gotta hand over enough george washingtons :rolling:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Hey Bird,you sure have a lot of free time on your hands,why dont you come help me put my car back together,and then we can go work on yours,sounds like a good idea does it not? :thumbsup:

And if i pick up this 76 vette im going to look at tommorow i will need some help.

Kevin

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Bird,you sure have a lot of free time on your hands,why dont you come help me put my car back together,and then we can go work on yours,sounds like a good idea does it not? :thumbsup:

And if i pick up this 76 vette im going to look at tommorow i will need some help.

Kevin
:thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts

Kevin
Hey why don't you buy my "71 BB" and I'll come help you put yours back together...:laughing:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Hey why don't you buy my "71 BB" and I'll come help you put yours back together...:laughing:
Well i did not bring the 76 home way to much rust and damage,your 71 is probably out of my price range but anyway how much?

Kevin

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I'll give half of what he offers you.:rolling:
Come on Jeff,brake loose with the big bucks that you have hidden in your mattress :laughing: :rolling:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts