Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it to replace the cam bearings, they seem pretty rough.
Is there an easy way to do this. ?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
it can be done but i think you need a special tool to install them. called Tim and yes it does take a tool to put them in, best suggestion is to let the machine shop do it.

BTW: Tim is back in town.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
Cam bearing are soft and easy to wreck. There is a special slide hammer used to install them and a shop usually will do this for under $40
Be sure the block is perfectly clean when you begin to assemble things.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Cam bearing are soft and easy to wreck. There is a special slide hammer used to install them and a shop usually will do this for under $40
Be sure the block is perfectly clean when you begin to assemble things.
:agree: Line up the oil holes. I believe they get a tad smaller towards the rear too.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
and the bearings are not the same size front to back and sometimes the bearings are tight even in the correct bore. Easy to screw this up. If you can have a shop do it, let them. The tool isn't cheap either.

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ty For Responses

Appreciate the inputs.! Just had the block boiled and honed $200.+
They did a shabby job, had to clean everything myself later. ! That's teh way it
is here....like I said all along. The cam bearings don't look too bad....is it
possible that they will be ok without r&r.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Appreciate the inputs.! Just had the block boiled and honed $200.+
They did a shabby job, had to clean everything myself later. ! That's teh way it
is here....like I said all along. The cam bearings don't look too bad....is it
possible that they will be ok without r&r.
if it is a small block chevy you can not clean the oil grooves behind the cam bearing with them in place. these grooves feed the mains and if there is any dirt there it will end up in the main and rod bearings. also you can not "boil" a block with the cam bearing in place because the solution will eat them up

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
if it is a small block chevy you can not clean the oil grooves behind the cam bearing with them in place. these grooves feed the mains and if there is any dirt there it will end up in the main and rod bearings. also you can not "boil" a block with the cam bearing in place because the solution will eat them up
:agree: If you tanked it with the cam bearings in, it was not tanked correctly, and the bearings are trash.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If they boiled it with the bearings in place then I agree that they did a shabby job.... if they did this then this explains why the bearings look 'rough'.....

Time to look for another shop..... if they tank a block with the bearings installed I'd question all the other work they did....

The tools to remove and install the cam bearings is more expensive than paying a (good) shop to do it for you....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts