Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been told by 3 differant people 3 differant ways to install my new cam.Can someone tell me the best way and the right way to do it? Thanx

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
If you're only installing a cam, then just yank the radiator and A/C condenser. You should have enough room to slide the old cam out and the new one in...

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you're only installing a cam, then just yank the radiator and A/C condenser. You should have enough room to slide the old cam out and the new one in...
:agree: And its also easier if you remove the hood. Just remember to mark the bolts so you can reinstall it in the same exact spot. You also will need to drop the rack and pinion and when you put it all back together, remember to recharge the a/c system! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
the helms manuals do not say pull motor for cam r+r. these manuals are what the dealers use.how many ways are ya up to now on puttin a cam in ?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Factory GM manuals

i dont know what ya bought from GM. what do your manuals say about the cam change
Talked to Katech,don't need to pull engine.Do have to move steering rack.Take off hood for easy access.Can't beat the Forum for finding answers.
Thanx for the help.Now to the garage and get to work.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
448 Posts
One more thing, after you remove rockers and push rods and get down to the cam timing gear, you have to rotate cam a couple revolutions so the lobes will push the lifters into the plastic holders so they will be held up out of the way. Then you need to be quick to pull old cam out and reinstall new cam so none of those lifters come loose and fall into your oil pan!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Talked to Katech,don't need to pull engine.Do have to move steering rack.Take off hood for easy access.Can't beat the Forum for finding answers.
Thanx for the help.Now to the garage and get to work.:thumbsup:
get out of the garage and get on the phone and call helms,get the 3 manuals for the car.i,m 30 years retired selfemployed auto mechanic and i still read a job through,its like takin a trip and never leaving the barn

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Helms

get out of the garage and get on the phone and call helms,get the 3 manuals for the car.i,m 30 years retired selfemployed auto mechanic and i still read a job through,its like takin a trip and never leaving the barn
Looked up Helms,same part # as my GM manuals.I've wrenched 39 yrs myself.I just haven't been in 1 of these yet.I'm headed to Barnes&Noble to see what they have.I'd like to read thru the job 1st myself.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
so you have a 3 manual set. they do say to pull motor for cam r+r but if ya look up front cover/timing chain r+r they dont tell ya to pull motor.crank pulley isnt keyed BUT mark it so it can be installed where it was,use new bolt. page 9-1178 vol. 2 engine

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll do that

so you have a 3 manual set. they do say to pull motor for cam r+r but if ya look up front cover/timing chain r+r they dont tell ya to pull motor.crank pulley isnt keyed BUT mark it so it can be installed where it was,use new bolt. page 9-1178 vol. 2 engine
I've got new crank bolt,gotta ck on instaled valve spring height with Jason.
Thanx, Tom:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts