Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys? I was looking to get a few opinions and thoughts on changing the cam and heads on my 02 ZO6. This far the only mods are Borla exhaust, and a ram air. I drive the cae about 3 times a week. So im wondering what the right combonation is going to be. And also what type of cost Im looking at. Im guessing $2000-$2500. Also a guy I spoke to here in florida said he had about 430 horse to the ground. Not sure how true those numbers are. Any feed back on these engine mods would be great .Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Well I'd run trick flow 215's

And I'd buy them off TEA, Or ECS

Let them build the heads, and tell them what your goals are as far as a Camshaft goes

These guys Do this Stuff everyday for over 20years

They'll give you far better advice than anyone on a Message Board will be able to:nuts:

your looking at more than $2500 tho

I mean if your going to spend that kind of money,

Let a pro set you up

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
You *should* add headers to your car too

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
hum, cost? i would guess much more than that. Im getting ready to install the "whiplash 2 " cam package in my 02 6 speed. (vids on youtube), the kit is $1500 and then figure another $500 to $750 for a tune.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
It is really hard to beat the Trick Flow GenX 215's with a LG G5X3 cam

You said your budget is $2000-$2500. For that price range you are looking at a cam and a ported set of LS1/6 heads simply beacuse an aftermarket set of heads is going to cost you $2200-$2800.

If your budget is only $2000-$2500 your best bet is to get a set of LG long tube headers, a Halltech cold air intake, Granetelli cold air intake tuned high flow MAF, and a dyno tune.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the feed back guys. Like i said $2500 is about what Im willing to through at the car now. And after hearing a C5 with a cam. How could you not love that sound. Im in orlando florida and there is a shop called corvette masters that Ive heard does great work. Im going to meet with one of the guys to go over what there plan of attact is. But now I have a better idea of what my price range will get me. Thanks again

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Hows the idle on the G5X3 cam, nice and choppy? This or the X4 cam, or the whiplash cam my final options. I have a 6 speed with a stage 2 clutch already installed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, Im thinking at this time headers & cam. And Ill take care of the heads in a few months. Any Ballparks on horse power gains with the cam? Im guessing my ZO6 with its cold air and is exhaust is making about 320 to 330 at the wheels now.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Okay, Im thinking at this time headers & cam. And Ill take care of the heads in a few months. Any Ballparks on horse power gains with the cam? Im guessing my ZO6 with its cold air and is exhaust is making about 320 to 330 at the wheels now.
You need nice flowing heads in order to Fully Maximize

Power from a bigger cam

Do Trickflow,AFR Or Tea Ported #243 Heads, and Let them Build the heads for you,

Buy the cam off the same company that does your Heads

TEA, LG Motorsports, ECS,Futral,Proline

These are all reputable Dealers

Anyone of them can set you up with a nice head/cam combo

Do it once, Do it right:nuts:

nuff said" Bon

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
You need nice flowing heads in order to Fully Maximize

Power from a bigger cam

Do Trickflow,AFR Or Tea Ported #243 Heads, and Let them Build the heads for you,

Buy the cam off the same company that does your Heads

TEA, LG Motorsports, ECS,Futral,Proline

These are all reputable Dealers

Anyone of them can set you up with a nice head/cam combo

Do it once, Do it right:nuts:

nuff said" Bon
:agree: Matching the heads and cam will be your best bet for a great setup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
243 Heads is what is stock on the ZO6. Are you saying to have those heads worked?
Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question but Im learning as I good with this Vette. Its my 1st one. Ive seen and heard things I want to do to the car but I dont just want to drop it off at a shop and have no idea as to what is going to really get done to the car or if Im going to see much of a difference after they do what the might clame to be the best set up for the money.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
243 Heads is what is stock on the ZO6. Are you saying to have those heads worked?
Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question but Im learning as I good with this Vette. Its my 1st one. Ive seen and heard things I want to do to the car but I dont just want to drop it off at a shop and have no idea as to what is going to really get done to the car or if Im going to see much of a difference after they do what the might clame to be the best set up for the money.
Having a set of 243 heads (Z06 and LS2 heads) worked (CNC'd / port n polished) is an option. It's cheaper than a set of new aftermarket heads, but I don't know if they will make as much power NA as aftermarket. Some companies say it's comparable but I never looked too far into it.

In the future I will have my 243's CNC'd for boost, so it's a viable option.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts