Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone subscribe to "corvette quarterly"?

interesting article in the summer 2003 issue regarding the c5 coolant system (page 47). if your c5 had a total loss of coolant it would still be driveable for several miles.

seems the engine management system takes over at 265 degrees F and shuts down cylinders until it's down to running on 4. every 240 revolutions the computer starts the cylinders that have been shut down and then shuts down the 4 that have been running to keep everything cool.

now that's cool.

hope i never use the camel mode.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,524 Posts
Hope I never need that but it's good to know. Probably would be a good idea to turn off the A/C and slow down a bit (at least to 85mph or so). Let's see no air in the tires, no water in the engine. If they could make it run with no gas in the tank. Now that would be a trick.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
How would you lose ALL of your coolant?
Just got it in the mail. The article starts that if you drive over something and puncture your radiator.

I'm thinking if that happens you have bigger problems then no coolant. :laughing:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
How would you lose ALL of your coolant?
Have a radiator hose fail on you.. thats why most shops reccomend replacement every 4 years of belts and hoses..

The northstar is the same way if you loose coolant it will shut down cyclenders I believe it shuts off spark so that the incoming fuel can help cool.. then it also alternates which cyclenders it is shutting down.. so that you don't flood out a cyclender. very cool indead.. still though after driving it for long time like that you will damage the engine.. cadillac I think says you could do a hundred miles..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts