Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I was hoping to get a little feedback from those of you who took the step of putting a cam in your c6. I've been neurotic about doing every mod possible without supposedly voiding the warranty and am feeling constrained by what I think are imaginary fears. Who among you have suffered any consequences regarding warranty work on their c6 because they put in a mild-moderately aggressive cam?

Assuming I'm going to take this step, I already have the FAST intake manifold sitting in my garage ready to install. Naive question- would putting in a cam be more convenient while the intake manifold is being replaced? If these components are anatomically close to one another, I figured it would be a good time to do the cam and save some cost on labor.

Now, on to which cam to install. I hear people use terms like "streetable," "daily driver" and "aggressive" in regard to different types of cams. I'm not looking to run an 11.2 sec quarter mile, but instead to just have a damn fast and fun corvette that I can drive daily if I like and won't be out of control. I'm already at 375 rwhp before the FAST and cam. Maybe something that can get me to 410-430rwhp or so? Any recommendations on type? Perhaps the G5X1 by LG?

Thanks a million guys, Tim

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
A Cam and Fast Lx will make engine warranty claims harder depending on the dealer. Also some dealers will not work on a modified part.

Having said that I had a recent experience where a starter wire on my LPE 403was broken while racing. It was fixed no charge under warranty:partyon: :partyon:

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Find Jeremy, he has cams ground that don't lope etc BUT will give you 40-50 rwhp and full drive ability. He also has the lumpety lump ones too.

I am contemplating the former in my car this year but I know I will blow something out of it for sure: bless extended warranties! :laughing:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I spoke to my service manager at the dealership I use and he said they do warranty work on highly modified vettes all the time and have only seen a few examples of warranties voided due to intensive mods that were directly related to the problems they were having. He said go for it.

Old dog- can I expect possibly 40-50rwhp from just a mild-moderately aggressive cam? I was hoping for 25 or so, plus 20 from the FAST intake and fine tuning, which would get me to around 420 at the wheels- more than enough power! Do you know what kind of cam Jeremy uses?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I know that Jeremy has cams ground for him and is very savvy about which ones for which situation.

Me, I would want a sleeper cam for the street just for the shock factor - - kinda' like why I don't use a handicapped card but just the 'capped' plate on the vette: shock factor.

And yes 40 HP from one of two sleeper cams is a no brainer . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts