Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In reading a lot of the threads I think I will go with the vararam induction, LG Pro Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats and X pipe, Borla Stingers. I think this combination should work good together. And I love the sound of the stingers.

If I decide to add a mild cam on my 2007 c6 manual. Will this change the sound of the engine exhaust etc? I've looked in you tube but there is no example of just the sound of the engine with only mild cams on it. Do I also need to upgrade the thermostat?

I am thinking of the LGM G5X1 Cam and Kit for C6. Any suggestions or advise on the combinations I am looking to use would be greatly appreciated.

Also does anyone know what the difference with the C6 VaraRam Ram Air System and C-6 Snake Charmer Ram Air induction kit is?:partyon. If this is the same thing please disregard the question. I am a new bee at this and learning as I go along.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
A cam will definitely change the sound of your exhaust. It will give it a louder, more aggressive note and your idle with be a bit lopey, like a muscle car.:devil: Of course, it sounds like you're going for a fairly mild cam, so it shouldn't be too raucous.:thumbsup:

And I think it is a "Vararam C6 SnakeCharmer intake", I don't think there is a difference.:cheers:

Don't be afraid to ask more questions!:cheers:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From researching I am reading the LG headers and Borla's work good together. Would there be an issue or sound difference, performance if I was to choose the kooks headers with the Borla exhaust? Also do I get the x-pipe and high flow cats from the header manufaturer or the suggested Borla x-pipe with cats? What would be best for performance.

The LGM G5X1 Cam and Kit for C6 is also made by LG. If I was to go with a different manufacturer does it make a difference? Also If I do the cam. Will I need to get 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 headers? I am hearing the 1 7/8 are only for cams and heads or nitros and superchargers. So here is where I am comfused If I get the mild cams do I need 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 headers?

The Vararam snake charmer induction. I've read there are some modifications that need to be done. If I Choose another vendor which does not need any modifications and is a straight bolt on. Will it make a huge difference?

Last but not least I will get a tune. Once I get the right combo on the parts mentioned and tune.Is there an estimate on where my rwhp would be or a close guess? The car is completly stock.

·
Registered
89 Posts
From researching I am reading the LG headers and Borla's work good together. Would there be an issue or sound difference, performance if I was to choose the kooks headers with the Borla exhaust? Also do I get the x-pipe and high flow cats from the header manufaturer or the suggested Borla x-pipe with cats? What would be best for performance.

The LGM G5X1 Cam and Kit for C6 is also made by LG. If I was to go with a different manufacturer does it make a difference? Also If I do the cam. Will I need to get 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 headers? I am hearing the 1 7/8 are only for cams and heads or nitros and superchargers. So here is where I am comfused If I get the mild cams do I need 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 headers?

The Vararam snake charmer induction. I've read there are some modifications that need to be done. If I Choose another vendor which does not need any modifications and is a straight bolt on. Will it make a huge difference?

Last but not least I will get a tune. Once I get the right combo on the parts mentioned and tune.Is there an estimate on where my rwhp would be or a close guess? The car is completly stock.

You are talking about the same mods I am getting ready to do except I am going into stock mufflers and I am doing the underdrive pulley and 160 degree thermostat. The tuner is estimating for me 420-425 RWHP. I expect you are pretty close to that as well with the cam.

I bought the 1 7/8 Kook's but it turns out you should probaby get the 1 3/4". Some even say you may see a decrease in performance with the 1 7/8" due to lack of back pressure. I think either will do the job but there are those on here more qualified to answer that one than me.

I'm not sure about your Borla question.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Here's what I've heard, and I've heard a lot, but I'm not an expert:

LG is best for low and mid-range rpm, Kooks is best for high rpm. Both are high quality and popular.

Not sure there would be a huge difference in high-flow cat and x-pipe brands, but I know LG and others have excellent units.

You can mix and match header, exhaust, and cam kits from different manufacturers just fine, but if you stick with one vendor you know they have been thouroughly tested together and will work well. You should know what you're doing if you decide to mix and match.

Both header primary tube sizes will work but if you plan on going hog-wild with big head, cam, and/or forced induction, definately go with the larger size. I'm not sure what the disadvantage of the larger tubes is for mild applications--maybe someone else can comment on this.

I don't know a lot about Varraram, but Halltech and K&N make excellent and very popular non-ram air intakes. If you want to go with a non-ram air intake you can not go wrong with these. Some ram air systems can inhale water and debris so check that out before you decide.

Here's my general feeling on this (but I'm not a tuner!):
good intake: 6 to 13 hp
long tube headers: 15 to 25 hp
high flow cats: 3 to 5 hp
cat back: 4 to 8 hp
cam: 15 to 35 hp
x-pipe: only makes a small difference but will change the sound
dyno tune: 8 to 18 hp - a good tune that reduces torque management is your best investment. You will notice the difference! :partyon:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts