Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, been reading this site for a long time now but this is my first post.

Ok, here are two cams with similar numbers.

MTI X1--- 230/227 .591/.571 112LSA
THUNDER RACING--- TR 230/224 .575/.563 111LSA

Does anyone have experience with these cams? Would they both perform the same, or are there slight differences between one another?
Im looking to install one on a 99 C5 coupe. I have JBA short tubes, vararam intake, 80mm TB, weiland intake manifold, and corsa's with x-pipe & stock cats.

I do plan to buy heads later. Looking into AFR 205's. So with this in mind it may not be the right cam choice.

Im looking for a bit over 400hp with a cam only but im just not sure if this is possible with stock heads and my current mods.
If I do plan to add heads will this cam still have a good potential for power or would I need to move up to a cam like G5x2 or 3 to make a difference.

Just another guy with tons of questions. I’ve done a lot of research but I just thought it was time to ask.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
I am not a cam expert.....sry.

But...

:cheers:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I did my cam when I did AFR heads. On advise of Tony Mamo, I milled the heads, used a .040 head gasket and run a 224/228 XER on a 114. The AFR heads seem to like a little extra exhuast duration, maybe 4 degree more than intake.

If you are not going to do heads, I would stick with a reverse duration cam. Thunder Racing seems to be a good source for cam choices and advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts