Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 C5 6spd ls1. I've added a ls6 intake manifold with a ported TB, a K&N cold air intake and magnaflow exhaust. Recently I acquired a set of ls6 243 heads which I plan on having installed soon and I'm wondering about upgrading the cam....would a ls6 cam be a good choice, or is there a good aftermarket option? Not looking for anything too aggressive since this is my daily driver in the summer. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
The LS6 cam is nice, but really is not worth the hassle for the minor gain you will see. Take a look at LG motorsports G5X series cams. I am a big fan of those.

Another thing you can do is talk to the person who is going to be tuning it for you. See what they recommend then do a little research online based on their recommendations.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I would suggest a custom cam, or an off the shelf cam from one of the big players. Give them a call, tell them what you want, and they will suggest a cam for you. Talking to them is the best way to make sure you get what you want. Good luck and upgrade those springs :thumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Heads and cam

I don't think the head swap will net you anything you should have the good Ls1 heads already and for the cam you will whant to go a Little bigger than the Zo6 cam to get some bang for your buck.Also I have a ls1 98 vett and i just got a Ls2 intake how did you work out the throttle body from the ls1 78mm to the ls2 90mm?

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
he did nt say he got a 90mm ls2 tb, he said it was a ported tb.

depending on which ls6 heads he got, they could be very nice. the triangle casting heads have consistently dyno'd about 10-15 hp higher than the other 2 foundry castings.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
he did nt say he got a 90mm ls2 tb, he said it was a ported tb.

depending on which ls6 heads he got, they could be very nice. the triangle casting heads have consistently dyno'd about 10-15 hp higher than the other 2 foundry castings.
You're right Hardcore...it's an LS6 intake with a ported TB, it's not the 90mm TB. The castings are the triangle heads and I've heard from other sources as well that they dyno around 15hp so I think it will be worth the effort to have them installed. Just want to pair them up with a good cam....and yes, I will definitely upgrade the springs!

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
i bought a set of the triange casting heads back in '06 for around $500 not knowing they were those heads- not knowing my '00 had cnc'd ls1 heads already installed haha.

I would look at the LG G5X2 or possibly the G5X3, although the X3 might be a little more aggressive for you. I am using the G5X3 in the 402 LS2 I'm in the process of building.

I would deffinately recommend the 921 spring. I have a set of Patriot Performance springs that are comparable I have been debating if I want to use or not lol

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I don't think the head swap will net you anything
The LS6 heads flow more cfms compared to LS1 heads so he will see an increase in power. It might be 5hp and it might be 15.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
The LS6 heads flow more cfms compared to LS1 heads so he will see an increase in power. It might be 5hp and it might be 15.
that is true, but if you look at a cost and time/hp ratio the only LS6 heads really worth swapping to are the triangle casting ones. Think of it this way, say you get really lucky and get a reg set of LS6 heads for $500. Add $100 for head gaskets, $100 for head bolts, $25 for supplies (brake cleaner, degreaser, ect), not even counting the time involved you end up with about $725+ for 10-15 hp? That is assuming the heads don't cost you a lot more. Now factor in the triangle castings that dyno consistently 15hp more. Now you are looking at $725 for 30hp+ . Still not the best value but a lot better than before.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
If you are looking for something more aggressive, but not too aggressive the G5X3 may be a little much. I personally love it in my car. The idle has been raised to the 980 area to keep it going. The only issue I had was my MAP sensor, just can't get right. I have P 106 codes constantly. I don't think it's the cam, so don't worry too much. The lope at idle (sound wise) is awesome. I truly love the car shaking back and forth, personally. Since you have a 6spd you should be fine with the cam and the rear gear, but don't quote me on that, lol. The triangle stamped 243s are a good grab. The springs will definitely have to be upgraded. I think the yellow beehives are rated for .580 lift and the 921 set that I have were rated for .650 lift. If those aren't replaced then you might have a valve kiss the piston. Those lifts are good if the rocker ratio stays the same as well as the pushrod lengths.

I personally loved the service and parts I got from LG Motorsports, so I would highly recommend them. When things didn't pan out on my install and tuning they tried to help the best they could from over 1000 miles away, even though it didn't deal with the part(s) I got from them.

Good guys,

Josh

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
yea, the X3 might be a little too big for his goals, thats is why I also said the X2 as well. The X3 seems to like a few more cubes than a stock LS1 has.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input! A buddy of mine with a Z28 suggested I try Speed Inc. out of Illinois so I contacted them and the guy I talked to was really helpful. They do custom grinds so he's going to put a package together for me..cam, springs, etc...I suppose I should put on some headers as long as the heads are coming off...and the cash register just keeps on ringing!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wanted to give a quick update...I went with the LG G5X2 cam....got the heads on along with the new springs push rods timing chain etc. Everything is moving along great and should have her fired up by mid next week! Have any of you had experience installing TTS headers in a C5? Thanks again for the input....the guys at LG Motorsports were awesome!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts