Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried for about an hour trying to get this tool to open the hood. I've searched on here for tips, but none that have helped. Does anybody have any pics or better tips that I could use? The passenger side will open and I pull the hood open to see what I may be looking at on the drivers side, but I can't get it to work.:bang :bang

·
Registered
1966 Coupe 454/538hp 4spd of course; 1984 Z51, built 11/83, Blue w/Black Leather factory override..
11,730 Posts
Take a close look at the open side latch. It's a plate with a cable release.

If you are able to reach over to the closed latch cable, you may be able to just pull on the entire cable to release the latch. Try to grip it in a manner that binds the inside cable & pull.

If nothing else, have someone hold the hood as high as possible, and if you can, squeeze your hand to the closed latch and manually release it. Practice on the open side first so you get a feel for how the latch works. (Note: I do not kow if there will be enough clearance, but it's worth a try.)

JAT
D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally got it. I stayed away from it for a while, calmed down and drank a beer. Went back out there and popped it in about 5 minutes. :cheers: Hopefully it will get easier because I now know what exactly I'm looking at and how the tool works.

·
Registered
1966 Coupe 454/538hp 4spd of course; 1984 Z51, built 11/83, Blue w/Black Leather factory override..
11,730 Posts
Chad072 said:
... because I now know what exactly I'm looking at and how the tool works.
Care to share with your fellow DC buds?

This will come up again...
If you're really up to it, you could do a product review of the tool. Explain why the instructions don't quite make it.

TIA
D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After you get it open, the instructions make sense. It's easier to piss off a monk than understand the diagram that comes with it. Basically, the hood opens when the cables pull the release mechanism toward the opposite side of the car (drivers release gets pulled toward the passenger side, vice versa). The tool pushes the mechanism so the latch will open. I put the tool it with the end facing up, then pulled the tool toward me while rotating it clockwise. Once I got the black tape aligned with the weatherstripping, I started to turn the tool counter clockwise. I'm going to practice some more tomorrow and I may get some pics as well.

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
Chad072 said:
I finally got it. I stayed away from it for a while, calmed down and drank a beer. Went back out there and popped it in about 5 minutes. :cheers: Hopefully it will get easier because I now know what exactly I'm looking at and how the tool works.
Ah. Beer. Solves a lot of problems, doesn't it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Chad072 said:
After you get it open, the instructions make sense. It's easier to piss off a monk than understand the diagram that comes with it. Basically, the hood opens when the cables pull the release mechanism toward the opposite side of the car (drivers release gets pulled toward the passenger side, vice versa). The tool pushes the mechanism so the latch will open. I put the tool it with the end facing up, then pulled the tool toward me while rotating it clockwise. Once I got the black tape aligned with the weatherstripping, I started to turn the tool counter clockwise. I'm going to practice some more tomorrow and I may get some pics as well.
Sure wish he'd got around to those pics......
I'm having the same prob with my '84, but it's the passenger side...
I have the tool, but no instructions {$20.00.....Go ebay! lol}.....and it's too early for a beer.....

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
took me about 5 mins to pop the hood on mine with the tool the 1st time, i still have to use it to open it, i havent gotten around 2 changing the cable.... but now it takes me all of about 10 secs to pop it

·
Registered
69 Posts
Opening the hood with the C4 Tool

I had the cables replaced a year ago and mine still needs the tool about 1 out of 3 times. The cable stretched again and I have a loop about the size of a dime in mine to shorten it. It still sticks sometimes.
Put the tool in with the short tip pointed towards the inside of the engine. Line up that piece of electrical tape with the molding strip on the window. Lift the handle towards the window gently and it will usually pop up. If you can get the tip to drop into the hole in the plate it only takes a little flick to pop it. Once you get the hang of it it takes no time at all.
If it seems to take a lot of pressure do NOT keep pushing. The spring on the post does all the work. It is easy to scratch up the black paint if you push too hard. Don't bend the tool (I wonder how I know that?). It only (usually) needs a little shove to pop it loose. Practice with the hood open and it will be obvious what you need to do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had the same poblem with mine this week, was just about ready to drill holes and install hood pins. Said several colorful things about the engineers background, family, ect. Finally got it to pop after removing the cable from the release handle and pulling it with pliers while yanking the corner of the hood and fender well back and forth. :excited: Removed the latch from the body and found that the cone shaped part that the hood pin fits in was broken below the catch and the hood pin was hanging on the side of it. Welded it back, adjusted and ground off the tip of the latch so that it was fully retracted when the lever hit the stop and no more problem. That hood release tool is still laying out the the yard somewhere.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm about at the hood pin point myself!:bang
I've tried everything I can think of, including pulling on the cable w/channel-locks, etc. About the only thing I have left to try is jacking the car up to different points and seeing if the flex will help.:huh:
I think I'm going to go with external catch-latches {like on GrandAm cars} if/when I ever get the damn thing open. I'll keep the stock driver's side for security {and because I can get the tool to work on that side...}

Now.....if I can just avoid the temptation to grab the sawzall or keyhole saw...:crazy:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
ill try to take pics 2marrow and see if that helps ya :thumbsup:
would have done it sooner... but i forgot about this thread untill i just saw it just now...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
took some pics 2day ill put them up later on kinda busy right now:)

·
Registered
299 Posts
On mine when i pop the hood release only the drivers side opens, with my right hand i hold the hood release in the pull position and with my left hand i pull the hood up wards and that allows the passenger side to release.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
sry i havent posted any pics yet.... i just now had time to upload them, they are waiting approval, when they get approved ill post them and give explanations of the process

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

this was supposed 2 show where i push it threw the hood, but my phone doesnt have a flash on the camera, maybe someone can try brighten it up??

this is about where it is supposed 2 be and you are supposed 2 twist it there and it is supposed 2 pop but...

i have to push it to there, past the latch, and turn it counterclock wise, so the hand is standing up instead of pointing down, but kinda angled towards the inside of the car

with the handle up just pull it back to where the tape lines up like this, on my car, i can feel it if i pull it to far or not enough, when im beside the latch the tool gets kinda tight felling and i kinda have 2 force it beside the tool

then just give it a lil turn clockwise and it should pop up, sometimes mine pops up alot, sometimes it doesnt move up but a tad, either way i just pull the hood up

another shot of how it should line up

this is what you are trying to accieve

another pic, with the hood up, just so you can see what you are messing with

and yes all those scratches are from me using the tool... :laughing:
the side of the hood has some too

Hope i helped :) Sry it took so long ive been busy...... :buhbye:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts