Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
my hood decided to not open on the drivers side, so i ordered the hood opening tool from ecklers and i still can't open the damn thing up lol. I try to get inbetween the door and hood but it seems to be sealed up. I was seriously thinking about pulling and incredible hulk and just forcing it up from the passanges side lol.

·
Banned
108 Posts
First off like said...its a pain to open..theres the latch or well it was on my passenger side....that is where the cable is my cable came completly out(YES ANOTHER PROBLEM...have many)...I was at it for a whole day and I didnt get it because the latch I was hitting was on teh left side and it was suppose to be on the right side so I accidentally pushed it over and it popped right open:laughing: ...I felt stupid...I got a digital cam and will take pics if anyone wants...plus some advice make your own tool...alot cheaper...just go to home depot and bend the metal yourself...my dads friend did it for me...waste of money to buy it from the catalogs...

·
Registered
56 Posts
wow, i actually got it open after 3 attempts, each attempt was a good 30 minutes. I could not express my joy enough when I opened it up. Does anybody know of any good tools to take of the side panel of an 84 right next to the battery? I cannot use a conventional screwdriver as it is to close to the wheel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
DC Crew
4,826 Posts
Thanks for the pics...I'm trying to get mine open now

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the tool & I also have new cables and housing which holds the cable stops. A while back I kinda got sick of it all & 86'd the old housing & made rings with each separate cable, pulling each one separately when I needed to pop the hood. I have never had a problem since, and no matter what level I am on, it works flawlessly ... I will probably hold off now on installation of the new cables ... at least until I sell or trade the car ... bad design, I thought.

·
DC Crew
4,826 Posts
After looking at the pics I had it open within a minute or so :D My cable weren't broken the driver's side had just slid out of the bracket somehow. All is well again :D

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
the bolts on the inside of the wheelwell by the battery, on my 86, are torqz head (spelling? :bang ), i have a set i use with my ratchet, i just turn the wheel so i can get room, take the bolts out, then theres a couple more you gotta get with the hood up from the top... i think 10mm?
glad to hear the pics helped out :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see everyone was having fun with this back in 2006! This is 2022 and now I'm having a big problem using the dang tool that is supposed to help me open the hood that is stuck shut on the drivers side! The pictures no longer show up so I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this issue by posting pictures or connect me with a video?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is one

This is a long shot. I seen a post from the Torch in 2019 regarding a corvette service fuel system soon and the windows would not go up all the way. I have the exact same problem with my 07 vette manuel transmission. My email is [email protected]. Please if ya can help me out. I push the start button and everything goes black. Wont start, crank, or anything and then the service fuel system light comes on. What was the fix for this issue? Id like to get my vette back out on the road. If you can hit me up on my email or Facebook which is Greg Barker from Grayson Kentucky. Thank you

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
43,429 Posts
Welcome t0 DC Greg. The guy right about you (diz) and I are both KY boys. I would suggest that you start a new thread in the C6 section where it will be at the top of the list. It would really help if you could get codes with a code reader like the SCAN II tool. That would go a long way in figuring out what the problem is.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
How old is your battery Greg? Weak electrics will make the computer in these cars go crazy. Heck a bad ground will make them do weird things. Like Torch said might want to post in the C6 section to get a more specific response.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I posted in here just trying to connect with torch. Torch owned a vette that had the exact same problem as mine. I'd still appreciate getting the info from Torch regarding what was done to his vette.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've tried for about an hour trying to get this tool to open the hood. I've searched on here for tips, but none that have helped. Does anybody have any pics or better tips that I could use? The passenger side will open and I pull the hood open to see what I may be looking at on the drivers side, but I can't get it to work.:bang :bang
I'm having the same prob with my '84, but it's the passenger side...

·
Super Moderator
8,600 Posts

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
OMG after reading your article I realized the C4 uses the same hood latching mechanism as a Volvo tractor. I’m sad to say after they get some age on them their junk. Have had them unlatch when stopping at a stoplight and the whole doghouse open up. Came very close to hitting the car in front of me. Now this is just me but if I were having issues with mine I’d find a competent body shop and have the entire system replaced with new parts if available and I mean everything. They get to where they won’t stay latched or worse won’t unlatch. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Oh and another thing this system is subjective to are bumps in the road. Have seen one side or the other unlatch when hitting a bump. I know in a big truck bumps are more Exaggerated but still the latch is double the size that’s in the corvette. Also have had them adjusted by trained Volvo technician and would only last a shift if that before they would be out again.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts