Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the car in for emissions test. It has gutted cats mild cam etc.. I'm told by the emissions station that the car is not ready for testing. Okay. So how do I get it ready I ask. I'm told it needs toi be driven. Okay. How far? "Don't know". Can you guess? "No".

THere are NO codes. I've been told the days of the "sniffer" are over and the test is done by plugging in to the computer. If this is the case and there are no codes then what else is there I can do> I'm confused and so are two emissions stations. Can somebody here help. I asume I could get the car tuned to pass emissions but that doesn't seem to be the way. HELP!
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Took the car in for emissions test. It has gutted cats mild cam etc.. I'm told by the emissions station that the car is not ready for testing. Okay. So how do I get it ready I ask. I'm told it needs toi be driven. Okay. How far? "Don't know". Can you guess? "No".

THere are NO codes. I've been told the days of the "sniffer" are over and the test is done by plugging in to the computer. If this is the case and there are no codes then what else is there I can do> I'm confused and so are two emissions stations. Can somebody here help. I asume I could get the car tuned to pass emissions but that doesn't seem to be the way. HELP!
Gary
This may not be all that helpful, but here's the DEQ info on the test.

http://www.deq.state.va.us/mobile/mobobd.html

This may be more helpful:

http://www.deq.state.va.us/mobile/mobobdm.html

Have you had a dead battery recently? You have to drive the car enough after a power loss for everything to reset.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
If you've had a tune or loss of power, you'll need to put about 300 or so miles on your car for reset and be sure not to disconnect power in the meantime. You may not pass emission due to carbon emmissions, but you may. The "sniffer" is not gone, but some have moved to other means of inspection. Good luck and if you can, find a good, reliable , mod friendly inspection station to go to.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
You can't clear check engine codes prior to emission testing. Thats why they want you to drive it for about a week before being inspected. Your DIC should show some history codes before you can take it in. Like someone has stated if you have had power loss do to the vehicle ant-theft system that could have reset the computer. Or if the battery has been disconnected.Good Luck on passing

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info so far guys. And, are you saying it is possible for the car to set codes without the "check engine" light coming on. Also it sounds like the inspection station is suspicious if there are no codes, is that correct?
Gary

·
Registered
721 Posts
They should prolly be able to tell you which monitors are not reset. Then you should be able to find out the drive cycle for each monitor. Or like I tell people in MA, drive it for a week. We have the same test up here. Im a state inspector.

Everytime you clear your check engine light you are resetting your cars computer. When you do this you send everything back to a "Not Ready" monitor. When the monitor finally runs its self check on the emissons part you replaced to see if its working correctly, it passes and then sets the monitor to "ready". If you have 2 or more not ready, you will prolly fail. Drive cycles can be a real pain to go through so what most people do is just drive for 3-5 days and come back. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you've had a tune or loss of power, you'll need to put about 300 or so miles on your car for reset and be sure not to disconnect power in the meantime. You may not pass emission due to carbon emmissions, but you may. The "sniffer" is not gone, but some have moved to other means of inspection. Good luck and if you can, find a good, reliable , mod friendly inspection station to go to.
Anyone know of a mod friendley station to go to in Virginia? Preferably Northern Virginia.
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Anyone know of a mod friendley station to go to in Virginia? Preferably Northern Virginia.
Gary
*bump*

Can't say that I know of any, Gary. Too bad you don't live a little further from the Beltway so you don't have to get this type of inspection.

Hopefully some VA boys and gals will chime in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts