Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this new Car and Driver article:
http://caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=7004&page_number=1

Very cool article about the base, MSRC, and Z51 Vettes all equipped with the non-runflat F1 Supercar tires compared to the Z06.

The results may shock you! Seems that the tires are a large part of the Z06's improved track performance.

:partyon:

p.s. This issue is on newsstands right now, and the magazine article has the actual test results shown in a graph. I'm not sure if the Internet version actually has the results.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are some of the numbers between the Z51 (w/Z06 tires) and Z06:

roadholding, 300-ft skidpad, g
-------------------------------
Z51: 0.96
Z06: 0.98

emergency-lane-change maneuver, mph
-----------------------------------
Z51: 68.5
Z06: 68.6

increasing/decreasing slalom, * mph
---------------------------------
Z51: 55.6/54.8
Z06: 54.5/55.1

autocross course, sec
---------------------
Z51: 56.0
Z06: 55.4

racecourse segment, sec
-----------------------
Z51: 51.8
Z06: 50.8

* This 938-foot slalom consists of 10 gates, each of which is 6 feet longer and spaced 3 feet farther apart so that it becomes two different courses when run in two directions. In the increasing direction, the car is accelerating so that there is weight transfer to the rear axle. Conversely, in the decreasing direction, the car is slowing and loading the front-tire contact patches. It should also be noted that the Z06's shorter gearing required a 2-3 upshift before the end of the course when running in the increasing direction, which cost it roughly 0.25 second (1.2 mph) on those runs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I found it interesting what they didn't test...

I my experience, the MSRC contributes the most where there are road irregularities. Everything else being equal, I would expect to be beat-up on a track by a Z06. But on average streets with dips, pot-holes and wavy stuff... Mr. Z will be air-born while I'm accelerating.

In other words, the MSRC keeps the rubber on the pavement far better than any other strategy I've seen before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mr. Deluxe makes a good point in that they don't test everything. Upon re-reading the article, I see that they tried to minimize the advantages that the Z06 has in weight and performance; and in that, they limited themselves in high speed maneuvers, which could have also had some interesting results.

Their concluding words sum it up well.

The Z06 is clearly the car that best rewards expert driving.

Bottom line: Magnetic Selective Ride Control strikes us as a bargain, and if you don't plan to go racing, or if you're buying the roadster, this is likely the best choice.
That said... this past weekend I saw a 50th anni convertible. Oh weow, that is a pretty ride! My first 'vette was a magnetic red (dark red mettalic in '92), and it still remains my favorite color (unavailable on the Z06 though). I know the 50th is a special color, but it closely resembles the mag red. I'm envious.

Michael :buhbye:

·
Registered
23 Posts
:D :D :D

This mirrors several threads I've read about putting Z06 non-runflats on my new C5 Coupe.

The only real mistake I made was NOT getting the MSRC on the coupe. And it appears it will not be an aftermarket option, either. :( :(

:buhbye: :buhbye:

·
Registered
17 Posts
One of my rationalizations for spending the extra $$ on the Z06 was because of those hideous runflats. Noisy, heavy and expensive.

Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts