Received the C&D in today's mail. 2008 Z51 4LT 6MN optional exhaust

Key stats:
0 - 60: 4.0
1/4 mile: 12.4 @ 116
odometer: 1,534 miles
weight: 3,299#
Price as tested: $56,890

Commentary:

• steering feels measurably better...produces a huge improvement in handling/feel

• remarkably upscale stitched leather dash; highly recommended

• optional exhaust provides a raucous roar

• redesigned shifter glides relatively easily into gear

• pretty hard to feel the increased HP and torque

• in comparison to last gen vettes (I assume C6 2005-2007), the fastest of 3 tested ran to 60 mph in 4.1 and the 1/4 in 12.6 @114

• need to ditch the flimsy seats
Bottom line: much better feel to the car and improved interior finish.

11's can't be far away....

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Thanks for the post! I was hoping for 3.9, but 4.0 is still fantastic.

Seems like every time they test a vette they don't like the seats. Anyone have any comments on their C6's seats? Are they right about them being slippery and unsupportive, or just finding something to complain about?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Keep in mind, most car magazines don't powershift or flog the cars during accel testing. A gorilla footed shifter may be able to dip into sub-4 second territory.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I actually agree about the seats...at least in my base 07...not so much when I am driving but when I go to get out. I am only 5'8" but when I push off the seat to stand-up, I feel like my hand is going to go through the side and I can feel the seat flex and feel like it might break (trying to be graceful- not sure how someone taller gets out). Otherwise the seats are very comfortable and supportive, we drove ~325 miles yesterday with only a few stops to look at the views (Hickory NC to Gatlinburg, TN via I40, the BR parkway, 441, and the Foothills parkway- all twists)

A

·
Registered
565 Posts
Good results, but the LS2 with a CAI and exhaust will easily match those times. Nowhere near enough increase for me to dump my '06 and buy an '08. The next gen is coming, and I'll wait for that. Or I could buy a GT500KR...:crazy:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I can't wait to see the 2008 Z51 in next years Car and Driver "Lightning Lap". The new gearbox, in particular, should cut some time off of the 2007's very impressive lap time.

Jimmy

P.S. I agree with CD about the seats, they do not provide much lateral support, they are very good, however, for comfort and ingress/egress (try getting in and out of a car with huge side bolsters).

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
As stated before, C/D, R&T, and MT use clutch and no gas during shifts. So if you really want to abuse your car, a 3.9 0-60 is definitely possible, probably probable.

The added power of the LS3 makes the lb/hp ratio 7.5688 @ 3300lbs, vs. 8.25 for the LS2. That is a decent increase for sure!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts

Seems like every time they test a vette they don't like the seats. Anyone have any comments on their C6's seats? Are they right about them being slippery and unsupportive, or just finding something to complain about?
Poor Seats. My C4 had better seats.

:cheers:

·
Registered
277 Posts
That 3299# weight is higher than a standard 1LT wo/Z51. Might be costing close to a tenth and one mph there. Don't know how or if they did a good tire warming too. Certainly more in the car that they have indicated.

I personally don't see why anyone would want the Z51 option unless they planned on circle track racing. It is not needed for drag racing and more of hindrance than help. The factory brakes are fine for drag racing as well as all the standard cooling features. You would however, need the Z51 rear anti-sway bar mounted in poly bushings with Z06 rear shocks. This is what it took on my 07 A6 1LT to hold traction and eliminate wheel hop.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
You would get the Z51 for better in-gear accel and better handling-or, in other words, the whole reason for buying a Vette over a Camry.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
277 Posts
You would get the Z51 for better in-gear accel and better handling-or, in other words, the whole reason for buying a Vette over a Camry.:rolleyes:
This post is about 1/4 times, not handling. Not sure what you mean about "in-gear" accel but acceleration would be less with the Z51 due to it's increased weight.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Let a magazine like GMHTP, whose drivers go all out, test one.......then we can see how fast the C6 LS3 can go in the 1/4 mile. They ran a best of [email protected] in a stock C5Z so hopefully they can get the best out of the new motored Vette. This is all magazine racing of course. I still want to see some at the track, some regular joes ring em out.

Are there tracks for 0-60? Always wondered why folks are concerned about 0-60 as I haven't seen an 0-60 tracks. I've run in the 1/8th mile, the 1/4 mile and have heard of 1 mile tracks. Racing the 1/8th mile, which is all I have around here and where I was in San Diego, is bad enough. Switch to third.....done :down: Racing to 60 would be what, top of first? Thats exciting :smack

·
Registered
565 Posts
This post is about 1/4 times, not handling. Not sure what you mean about "in-gear" accel but acceleration would be less with the Z51 due to it's increased weight.
Z51 M-6 are .2 faster than the non Z option in the 1/4. Shorter gearing is the reason and the reason why I bought it, the far better handling, larger brakes and coolers are just gravy. With the 1LT, I have the lightest Vette there is: 3189# curb weight. That makes it the fastest, pure stock, as well. For my money, the Z51 is the best bang for the buck you can order on a Corvette--irrespective of what mods you have in mind. To each his own, of course. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Z51 M-6 are .2 faster than the non Z option in the 1/4. Shorter gearing is the reason and the reason why I bought it, the far better handling, larger brakes and coolers are just gravy. With the 1LT, I have the lightest Vette there is: 3189# curb weight. That makes it the fastest, pure stock, as well. For my money, the Z51 is the best bang for the buck you can order on a Corvette--irrespective of what mods you have in mind. To each his own, of course. :thumbsup:
Aha! Lower gearing would make for better et. I've got an automatic so don't get the benefit of lower gearing with it. No question the Z51 is going to corner better than the standard. Ride a little harsher as well.

My 6A 1LT auto with an Xcelerator intake, the Z51 rear bar, Z06 rear shocks ran a 12.34 @ 114.42 mph. How many Z51 manuals can beat that?

·
Registered
690 Posts
recisely why I have a 08 1LT Z51 NPP coupe on order. Fasted stock, non-Z06 available. I just wonder how much the added weight offsets the benefit of the lower gearing.

For this same reason I wonder if the C6 vs. mustang GT500 test was valid with anything but a Z51 car...?

I also care muc more about performance in the twisty's than straightline, so another reason for the Z51

A

·
Registered
202 Posts
thats an amazing performance.

The new C6 Z51 with 430 hp is a hell of a car.

I'd like to see a track test btwn the C6 Z51 manual and automatic with 2.73 rear gears.

Road test, drag strip and road course.

I think the times would be dam close and it would be worth a read.

Either way the six speed manual Z51 gearing is the reason to get over standard car. IMO

Add in the extra coolers and its pretty much a slam dunk.

Not sure if I'd go auto or manual though.

so thats why I'm curious what the track times are like.

Hopefully we'll get a scan or link to the article before too long.

fwiw launching below 2.0 or 1.9 on street tires is really tough...so getting below 4 second zero to sixty isn't easy even with power upgrades..

Best mod? probably changing the tires to non runflats when the originals wear out. (stiff sidewalls make 60 foots below 2.0 a crap shoot) JMO

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts

haha mine is 3186, however those three pounds are negligable as i probally put on 10 lbs after a hardy meal, just pulling your leg

1 - 20 of 42 Posts