Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes a car cover for the C6 that won't scratch the paint finish? For some reason, my garage is in a continual state of 'dusty' regardless of how often I sweep it out or hose it down. I live in a very windy area, so I guess it just comes with the territory.Two days after I wash the car, it's got a layer of dust on it again. I surrender.

·
Registered
546 Posts
buddy has the dust cover from Genuine Corvette Accessories...he loves it..not a scratch yet and he puts it on every night

you should be able to get it from your local chevy dealer

here is the description...

"Two covers are available to help protect your Corvette. A dustcover, shown here in Red, shields the surface of your Corvette from dust and dirt. An all-weather, storm-proof cover provides waterproof, breathable protection when parking your Corvette outdoors." - corvette.com

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
buddy has the dust cover from Genuine Corvette
Poachr - Thanks for the info. I checked out the cover you recommended online, and it looks pretty solid. However, at $325 retail, I'm going to have to consider some other options.

Maybe I should open the question up a little, as there are so many brands and material types on the market. Can anyone recommend a brand and/or material type (or recommend a brand or material I should stay away from?)

Or, does anyone know who makes the "Genuine Corvette" cover? I bet it's marketed at a much lower price from the OEM.

·
Registered
167 Posts
For the Corvettes and classic cars my dad has owned over the years, he's always used Beverly Hills Motorsport covers. They're available custom fitted to nearly every car:
http://www.beverlyhillsmotorsport.com/bhmotor/carcovers/bhmcustcarcoverspg2.htm

He's always used the flannel ones. Looks like they start around $224, but I didn't see specific prices for a C6. That's the kind I intend to buy, if the Corvette gods ever smile upon me and grant me my wish. :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have california car covers on my 3 vettes I use whats knowen as a dust top cover they fit great no dust on the car.:cheers:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I beleive Coverking makes the GMA cover. Costco advertised up to $50 off Coverking covers not too long ago... May be worth looking at.

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
i bought the cover from west coast corvettes, it was like 100 bucks.

- can you wash a car cover? if so what do you set the washing machine to?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I got a Wolf for $125. All weather, although I only use it in the garage for my pampered baby. Also, only when the car is completely clean. Seems to do a decent job, although if you breathe on my car (black) it scratches...:nuts:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the recommendations. I can see I'll have quite a bit of research to do this next week.

although if you breathe on my car (black) it scratches...:nuts:
I don't have any problems with breathing on mine (black also) but do get regular visits from the Swirl Fairies.PITA!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Also, before you get the car cover, look at www.eastwoodco.com and pick up some wheel covers (Canvas Wheel Masker Set 4 pc, Item # 11844-$19.99). They're made of heavy cotton and slip over the wheels. They use them to protect the wheels from overspray when you paint the car. I bought mine and I don't have any wheel black on the inside of my car cover and well worth the investment. Tie a loop with string from the top of the cover. This way you can hang them up when not in use. You'll see what I mean when you get them. Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sinister,

I use a tan flannel cover and the instructions that came with it say it can be washed. It is recommended that you use a large front loading commercial machine at a laundromat and use the gentle cycle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a Wolf on my black. I think it contributes slightly to swirls. On the other hand it's a pretty heavy duty cover and has definitely prevented my kids from dinging the paint when they've "oops"ed into it with their bikes etc.

·
Super Moderator
10,114 Posts
Who makes a car cover for the C6 that won't scratch the paint finish? For some reason, my garage is in a continual state of 'dusty' regardless of how often I sweep it out or hose it down. I live in a very windy area, so I guess it just comes with the territory.Two days after I wash the car, it's got a layer of dust on it again. I surrender.
Guyp,
As you know, Calif. sun is also brutal on paint AND interior. I've covered my daily driver vettes each day for the past 20+ years. I foundd the soft flannel type covers were the easiest on the paint at first, but they got dirty quickly (turning into emory paper), had a short life and didn't protect the interior from the heat / UV. The synthetic paper-type covers resist the dirt a bit better but are tougher on the paint surface and they are bulky to store under the hatch if you cover at work as I do.

I just bought a Weathershield cover. The material reminds me of some of my ski clothes. Water beads, no dust will get in, and my interior seems to stay 10-20 degrees cooler. It's thin - folds almost small enough to shove into the pocket over one of the rear "glove boxes" so no help against dings. It supposedly blocks UV and is machine washable. Ebay = $300 including shipping (custom fit with mirror pockets, in red).

I put it on in the morning at work, take it off for and reinstall after, lunch, then off again to head home at the end of the day. Always roll it up on the rear glass so haven't seen any scratches yet. I use Adam's butter wax so that should protect the paint from any permanent damage / wear from the cover.

IMO, a few scratches from a really good cover like this are acceptable given the extended life the cover provides for the interior and paint. Keeping the car.

Here's a pic of my one owner C4 I covered daily for 19 years - original paint. This was before I started using Adam's, or it would've looked better:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts