Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about car dusters. I know they work, but do they wreck the finish?

·
Supporting Vendor / Car Care Sponsor
637 Posts
Like with all things HOW you use it will determine if it will trash your finish or not.

Never use it how you see 99% of people using them at the shows, where they're grinding it into the paint. The tips of the fibers should barely tickle the finish and you should work in single long sweeping motions from one end of a panel to another, shake, then repeat.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Like with all things HOW you use it will determine if it will trash your finish or not.

Never use it how you see 99% of people using them at the shows, where they're grinding it into the paint. The tips of the fibers should barely tickle the finish and you should work in single long sweeping motions from one end of a panel to another, shake, then repeat.
:thumbsup:Exactly

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I was wondering about car dusters. I know they work, but do they wreck the finish?

I have one

And I've used it as long as I've had the car

I don't use it when there is alot of dust on the car

But when I'm going out and don't have time to wash the car

and there is just a very light coat of dust on the car I lightly swipe it down

The Wax protects the finish

If it 's a quality Wax

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have one

And I've used it as long as I've had the car

I don't use it when there is alot of dust on the car

But when I'm going out and don't have time to wash the car

and there is just a very light coat of dust on the car I lightly swipe it down

The Wax protects the finish

If it 's a quality Wax
:agree::thumbsup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
You didn't ask but just in case, I watched your video. But that was two days ago. :D I've got one of these on the way and was wondering how to deal with the dust build up they have over time? Does just shaking them out keep it under control? Thanks!

·
637 Posts
You didn't ask but just in case, I watched your video. But that was two days ago. :D I've got one of these on the way and was wondering how to deal with the dust build up they have over time? Does just shaking them out keep it under control? Thanks!
Pretty much thats it... and when it gets real dirty throw it away and buy a new one. They can't be washed... the parafin wax in the fibers is what holds the dirt.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
The dirtier they get, the better they work. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks gents! After the Duster it OK to hit it with Adam's Detail Spray, right? :cool:

FWIW, we're bracing for the onslaught of the pollen season down here which is just in it's infancy. In two weeks we'll have drifts of it everywhere.. kinda like a yellow Sahara. :surprised

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
It is safe to use Detail Spray after all the dust is removed.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FWIW, we're bracing for the onslaught of the pollen season down here which is just in it's infancy. In two weeks we'll have drifts of it everywhere.. kinda like a yellow Sahara. :surprised
This....I dread this time of year

·
Registered
36 Posts
What you said. I've only owned my Corvette since January, so I haven't gone thru the annual pollen blizzard with it yet. I don't think I can go cold turkey and leave it covered and parked in the garage until May either. Ugh. :(

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
.....okay guys I'm f**k'n confused.....:laughing:
We are obviously talking about two different levels of dirty. I've used mine for years with no issues. Dylan is right, you can't wash them even though the manufacture says you can. If you do, they won't pick up dust worth a crap anymore.

The dirtier they get, the better they work but if yours stops picking up dust, then it has obviously ran its course. At $20+ bucks, buy another one.

·
637 Posts
Exactly "the dirtier it gets..." part has a limitation.

I mean if that held true all the way thru then you could drag the thing behind your car on the freeway and according to that logic it should work better than when it was new LOL.

At a point the wax gets so clogged up with dust that it stops working and at which point its time to replace it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
126 Posts
They do work better with age and if used correctly they will last for years. mine is 20+ years old and works excellent. no issued :cheers:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've used mine for 20+ years on multiple cars. Still works great! I agree that eventually they get too dirty though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts