Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are drag racing someone, and they spot you, say, 3 car lengths ... how much of a benefit are they giving you?

For instance, if a 12.00 second car wanted to race a 13.00 car, how many "car lengths" would the 12.00 car give the 13.00 car where they'd cross the quarter mile at the same time?:huh:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lets say a 12 sec car hits 110mph at the traps and we know that 60mph==88ft/sec.

This would mean the 12sec car would be doing ~160ft/sec at the traps and get there about 1sec before the 13sec car.

So I would say the spot is around 10 car-lengths (160ft).

I often bracket race against 12.x sec Vetts and that seems about right.

If you give 3 car-lengths it's only a few 10s of a second at the big end.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
65Z01 said:
Lets say a 12 sec car hits 110mph at the traps and we know that 60mph==88ft/sec.

This would mean the 12sec car would be doing ~160ft/sec at the traps and get there about 1sec before the 13sec car.

So I would say the spot is around 10 car-lengths (160ft).

I often bracket race against 12.x sec Vetts and that seems about right.

If you give 3 car-lengths it's only a few 10s of a second at the big end.
That is JUST what i wanted to hear. Thank you very much.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just an old rule of thumb... a car length equals a 1/10 of a second give or take. No mathematical equasions but just a good ballpark figure.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Being in the street racing scene i would have to agree with out going into a mathmatical formula.... that a 1/10 would equal a car... and most people bank on that

so if car a was running about a 12.0
and car b was running around a 12.3 they would asked to be spotted out about 3 cars and/or the just the hit (hit = car leaves before the other and follows) a hit could be worth a 1/10 or more depending on the other guys reaction to you moving or his mind thinking your going to leave... most people bank on a hit being worth 3/10's

hope this helps a little

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Thats interesting. So that means Patrick would have to give me like 50 car lengths right. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts