Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a small car show today as I usually help them every year with the ticket taking etc.

I always take the company car as I don't have to worry about it being so clean etc. Hell, it's a tagged, street legal drag car. But I digress.

There were some interesting cars there that were just not even noticed.

Woman had a white 427 Mercury Cyclone that she owned since new - - none noticed.

Two Hemi cars and one was a STAGE III unit 64 or 65 Belvedere and this was truly the rarest 'performance car' at the show: none noticed and one guy said the owner stripped parts out of the car. WRONG - - they did not come with a rear seat or any amenities. These things had solid lifters, staggered Holly carbs and came with the "five year or five foot" warranty at the time. Great car. Actually made about 625 hp from the factory and so few were made.

Seem that wax and fluff seem to win the most these days and that is fine too if that is your thing but it also shows how much people 'judge by the cover'.

Next year I will take the Vette and be done with it - - lots easier than hooking up the trailer etc.

On the upside there was an older woman, early 70's, there who won first place in the pre-1960 or something like that with a gorgeous 1551 Caddy!

So all is not lost.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
On the upside there was an older woman, early 70's, there who won first place in the pre-1960 or something like that with a gorgeous 1551 Caddy!

So all is not lost.
Damn that Caddy is 456 years old. No wonder why she won. :laughing:

I know just what you mean, but at the bigger car shows many of the cars you mentioned do get noticed. Even more so at the brand specific shows. There are folks that really know what they are looking at.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm not trying to rub anyone the wrong way or anything, but people don't have to know EVERYTHING about cars to enjoy them. I don't know the stats of every player on the field, but I still enjoy a good football game. Just my .02.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First - - yeah I messed up it was a 1951 - - just checkin' to see if you were awake out there.

I agree you don't (who does) have to know about everything but there is more to shows than just being shiny.

By the way it has three antique classes/street rod/pro street/ customs/ late models/ imports and trucks.

I volunteered to work the show -semi mistake- and guess who's got the least number of votes in pro street too - - OH, Adams gave away a very impressive door prize AND a free give away for every car too. Hats off to them as this was not inexpensive.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
:agree:
It is easier for us old guys to respect the historical value of cars. I see it all the time. Rare cars are often lost on people looking at bling rather than substance. Each to his own.

A very goo friend of mine who's father owned Miami Lincoln Mercury, Eddie Guest, was killed in a Cyclone. A very wierd accident. He hit a fire hyrdrant while street racing and a splintered piece of the sectioned wood sterring wheel pierced his heart.

The 1965 A990 lightweight Belvederes were legendary. One of the few examples of a true factory race car for the street.

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I would have noticed the Cyclone and the Belvedere. Lately I've been bored with the usual car shows, 50's customs have been catching my eye lately for some reason.

This is about the only car show comming up that I'm really looking forward to attending.

http://hunnertcarpileup.com/

·
Registered
816 Posts
I went to a cruise in a few weeks ago. I took my Vette and my friend and his dad brought their 69 Road Runner. We park by each other and hop out to take pics of all the nice cars there.
We come back to our cars and a teenager in his mid-90s Lumina parked right next to us. He has the hood popped up, the car running, and the stereo on. The only mods to the car were 3 12 inch subs in the back.
My friends dad started the Road Runner (700 hp) and revved the engine a few time for some friends, needless to say they turned the radio off after that.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
I smell a revolution in the air.:D

The car hobby has turned ridiculously towards "pretty", or big dollar customs that are never driven.

I will never be in another "car show", unless the car is covered in Bonneville salt with "VETTE DOGS" written in the salt on the hood with my wet finger.

One reason folks don't appreciate those unique cars is that few know anything about them. There is no mag coverage of those cars, no nothing.

And, the youth market is still buying foreign cars.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It isn't quite that dark as to the future.

Because I was a volunteer at the show I got in free but had to help close it down and was one of the last to leave. I fire it and half the kids who were in ricers were just hanging out.

Before pulling into the trailer I always hammer it to clean the damn stone out of the slicks. I get out and several came down and were asking questions and we talked calmly about cars/performance/cost.

Now these guys were actually quite nice and the ones with their hats on sideways and their pants hanging off their ass didn't come over - good.

They told me that they have this because it is what they can afford and we got to talking about mods and I told them that for what they have in their cars they could have got a Mustang V8. They were amazed, seems they didn't think about this at all.

Now for the kicker. Today I am back from church and the bell rings and it is one of the kids from the show and -get this- he thanked me for being "good enough to speak with us."

62 and still getting amazed at some things.

I was touched at this courtesy - - - maybe all is not lost.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Here is the reason I have never nor will I "enter" my car in a show. I take it to shows but never enter it. I am not interested in having some guy judge my car and place it in a catagory based on his likes and dislikes. I'd rather just park it there and enjoy talking to other guys that are into the hobby and want to ask questions or just talk about cars.
My car will never be a show winner anyway, I just don't have that eye for detail.:laughing:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts