Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of the facts of life is that high performance cars tend to break down
and its rarely sitting in your driveway when it does and youll rarely have the correct tools and parts with you so getting it back to your garage usually includes towing charges UNLESS you own a car trailer, now obviously you can buy one but if your skilled and own a welder you can usually build a nice one for less than 60% of the normal cost.

before you go paying big bucks for a new car trailer, take the time to visit craigs list, and your local bargain trader magazines, on occasion you can find lightly used car trailers at outstanding prices, one of my friends, recently got a screaming deal, from a guy that moved from Wisconsin to Florida, and he towed his old non running car down here, the guy had purchased a lightly used almost new trailer for the trip and had no place to store it at his new house so he sold it for the same $800 he paid for it, and was thrilled that in effect he towed his car down here for zero vs the cost of shipping his car that he had been quoted.

most of these trailers below show obvious age,& use, but if you know the price of the new trailers and shop carefully you'll be amazed at the deals you can get occasionally, remember people move, lose jobs, change hobby's etc. so theres a constant source of new trailers on the market, just don,t get into a huge rush to buy one, wait for that good deal, and get a trailer a bit larger than the minimum, because you don,t know what YOUR future projects will be!
pay close attention to the condition of the tires and VERIFY the TITLE and OWNERSHIP, look for rust, indications of abuse or accidents, and be sure the trailers in good condition, you don,t need to buy the first or even any trailer until you find a BARGAIN meeting YOUR NEEDS at a GREAT PRICE! it would be foolish to pay more than 70% of the cost of a new trailer for the identical used trailer so shop new trailer first and take notes, look around then shop both new and used trailers until you get a good grasp on the market

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=845

heres a quick selection from todays list, almost every week youll see several new ones listed if your in or near a decent size city

theres a cheaper but less useful option
http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3508&p=9249#p9249

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Good info as usual.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
And since we're on a Corvette site, one more bit of useful info. Look CAREFULLY at the trailer to determine if it will work for your vehicles. Trailers like in the 2nd photo have plenty of capacity, but will not accomodate a C5/6 without parking on the proper grade and putting chunks of 2x12 in all the right places. While most vehicle trailers with adequate capacity can be made to work, many require more effort to use.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Mine is simular to the last one you posted. Its only down fall is the deck height is a little high but I wanted to over buy in terms of strength as I want to use it for everything not just cars. I also recommend a full deck that way narrosw cars aren't an issue

·
Super Moderator
8,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
owning or having access to a trailer or flat bed is a huge plus in this hobby, ,keep in mind more than just a car can be transported, my trailer has over the years had many an engine or welder or rear differential transported too or from locations
and many "deals " on project cars or parts depend on your ability to move heavy non drivable cars or parts quickly before the owner has time to reconsider his selling them when his temporarily frustrated, because hes less likely to sell when the wife quits nagging or hes had time to think things thru

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
owning or having access to a trailer or flat bed is a huge plus in this hobby, ,keep in mind more than just a car can be transported, my trailer has over the years had many an engine or welder or rear differential transported too or from locations
and many "deals " on project cars or parts depend on your ability to move heavy non drivable cars or parts quickly before the owner has time to reconsider his selling them when his temporarily frustrated, because hes less likely to sell when the wife quits nagging or hes had time to think things thru
:agree:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Tow dolly, your thoughts

I have a chance to pick up a '59 El Camino, a complete car I mean glass, trim, straight, everything.
Just one catch it does not run.

Well, ok two catches it does not run and it is in central MO. and I am in Denver, CO.

So I found this site Acme Trailer with their "Eze-Tow" dolly,

sounds like a deal and the way to go just curious if anyone has any experience with this unit?

Would appreciate any input.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
haven't used that particular dolly, but I've rented U-Haul's car transport trailer on several occasions. They also have a two wheel dolly for rent. I've had pretty good luck with the U-haul trailer towing it behind my '02 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I have a chance to pick up a '59 El Camino, a complete car I mean glass, trim, straight, everything.
Just one catch it does not run.

Well, ok two catches it does not run and it is in central MO. and I am in Denver, CO.

So I found this site Acme Trailer with their "Eze-Tow" dolly,

sounds like a deal and the way to go just curious if anyone has any experience with this unit?

Would appreciate any input.

I use a two wheel dolly to tow junk/project cars all the time. It's way eaiser than loading on a trailer. I've not done it for long trips across states but I wouldn't me scared to if I was confident in the condidtion of the tow cars rear tires and bearings.

·
Registered
559 Posts
haven't used that particular dolly, but I've rented U-Haul's car transport trailer on several occasions. They also have a two wheel dolly for rent. I've had pretty good luck with the U-haul trailer towing it behind my '02 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
I have called U-Haul but because I have Ford Explorer they won't rent to me.
It goes back to the law suit that Ford had with the Firestone tires I understand that Ford brought U-Haul in on the lawsuits and that as they say is that.

·
Super Moderator
8,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I passed a car accident recently that was obviously the result of a car on a trailer that rolled off the trailer while in transport, this could very easily have been avoided by correctly securing the car on the trailer
getting the car up on the trailer can be a challenge at times , especially if its not running or the brakes don,t work ,so think it thru and do it safely, BTW its almost ALWAYS a mistake to try an load a car with FLAT TIRES, or ramps that are too short to provide the correct angle and clearance, on a trailer as this reduces the under car clearance to the point its almost guaranteed to cause under the car damage, during the load process, so even if the car does not run have a drive train, or a running engine ,you'll need to have at least 4 tires that are fully inflated as you load the car or your asking for problems, its STUPID to cause damage that will need to be repaired at your expense if a bit of care taken during the loading process will avoid it. its even dumber to fail to securely tie down the car, during transport, a sudden need to brake or turn can cause you thousands of dollars in damage or a law suit if the car comes off during transport, or rolls off the trailer into your car or someone elses in traffic
obviously having the correct accessories and trailed design helps[/size][/color]

if its your trailer have a dozen strong cargo loops (D RINGS) welded into the trailer frame and at least 4 more on the car frame of your race car.
have at least 4 tie down ratchets,and /or a few sections of 3/8" chain with hooks

http://www.harborfreight.com/9200-lb-ratcheting-load-binder-5511.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-x-14-ft-grade-43-truckers-chain-40462.html

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratch...Weld-On-1-2-x-12-000-Lbs-Forged-Mounting-Ring

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=845&p=9656&hilit=trailer+lights#p9656

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
When looking at trailers don't forget the need to maybe mount a winch. A car with a blown rear end or broken A arm don't move to well when you try to push then up a slanted trailer...

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
When looking at trailers don't forget the need to maybe mount a winch. A car with a blown rear end or broken A arm don't move to well when you try to push then up a slanted trailer...

I wonder how Ivan knows this.:huh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts