Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WITH A c6 z06 who has tried a car wash or is that out of the question with the size of the tires? I may be a car guy but washing my car all the time myself might be dificult. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
ge\t used to washing it in your drive way.....you are nuts to was that in the same place that i take my truck after going mudding....unless youlike your car all scratche up i suggest you just wash it or find a pace that will do it by hand. i found one locally that will hand wash it for 15.00

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess you are right. Don't want to kill the paint. On a normal lease car who cares but this is a jewel to keep for years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there any experience with Corvettes in touch-free washes? There's one locally where I take my Cadillac Eldorado. The car remains stationary, not like the ones that push the car along a track.

Seems to work pretty well, except of course for that one point in the driver's window glass, near the mirror, where it leaks modestly.
Cheers
Dan

·
Mo-Fo
7,509 Posts
Never gone through a ride through with my Z, but have gone to ones with the high pressure hoses and soap and done it. Not when I'm home, but when I'm out of town with it. Never hurt it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I can't begin to imagine why anyone would take any Vette through a car wash. I don't know about any of you but car wash time is very enjoyable to me, I mean it is kind of like repaying back the car for all the smiles it puts on my face.

And dude, sorry, I don't mean to rag on you but loose big bold lettering.

Peace.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Touchless car washes are ok if your car isn't that dirty and just needs the dust washed off, otherwise only do a handwash with a very soft sponge or a wash mitten. The touchless car wash by me doesn't have tracks, you simply drive to the center of the stall and the wash machine goes all around the car. You'll always need to use a chamios cloth to dry the car, most towels will put fine scratches in the paint.

Also, make sure when you wash that you use a good auto soap that doesn't remove the wax, many detergents do.

If you have a lot of dirt on the car when you go to wash it, always try to rince the car with a lot of water pressure before you start washing it, if you rub a sponge on dirt that hasn't been washed off you'll also add scratches.

Never wash the car in direct sunlight, it will cause hard water spots to accumulate on the glass. Always wash the car before the sun comes up high or after it sets low, in other words early morning or late evening. These precautions will make your car look new for years!

There are lots of good polishes and waxes out their, I use Zaino and it is one of the best. Go to http://www.zainostore.com/ and read the details, success!

EFE Z06

·
Registered
76 Posts
Don't get the spray wax, it will dull a good wax or Zaino job.

As long as it's touchless and trackless, the opportunity for obvious harm is minimal. Just realize it has to have some strong cleaning chemicals to get your car reasonably clean without touching it.

I don't think it's a good thing to do on a regular basis because of the strong cleaning chemicals, but it's better than leaving your car cruddy on along trip.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I won't run mine through an automatic carwash, for one thing the tires are too wide for most automatic carwash tracks.

I do wash it by hand wand when it's colder out or I'm just being lazy.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
snipcod said:
I thought I read some where that the rear tires are to wind for carwashers
They're all windy, you mean too wide? :laughing:

They are! That's why it must be a touchless carwash with no tracks and where the machine moves around the car.

EFE Z06

·
Registered
270 Posts
If the ramp will accommodate your tires, there's no problem with taking any car through a touchless car wash. I've had my C6 through local touchless washes many times with absolutely no bad effects at all. Why do I sometimes use a car wash? Because there are many times when I can't wash it by hand...like November through March when my hoses are all disconnected and the external spigots are all shut off.

Touchless car washes do not do a very good job of actually cleaning your car. They will wash off the surface dirt, but the car will not be as clean as a good hand wash and dry. So, if you have no other practical choice, and your local car wash is touchless and can take the wide tires and low ground clearance of the Vette, then you really should be okay using it. The results may be marginal at best, but it's better than leaving it covered in grime...if that's your only other choice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
raidersfan said:
I can't begin to imagine why anyone would take any Vette through a car wash. I don't know about any of you but car wash time is very enjoyable to me, I mean it is kind of like repaying back the car for all the smiles it puts on my face.
I totally hear the sentiment behind this, but I've got tendinitis in both arms which makes it impossible, or at least quite painful, to do all that scrubbing. Maybe I should invest in a Karcher pressure washer instead.
Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
449 Posts
Pets0undz said:
I totally hear the sentiment behind this, but I've got tendinitis in both arms which makes it impossible, or at least quite painful, to do all that scrubbing. Maybe I should invest in a Karcher pressure washer instead.
Cheers
Dan
Totally understandable, sorry to hear about the tendinitis I know that sucks I get it from time to time in my shoulder and I can't do much.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Pets0undz said:
Cheers
Dan
I would not take my black C6 through even a "touch less" car wash but I used to take my 1987 Maroon Vette through one...no problem. Color has a lot to do with your decision IMHO. If you cannot hand wash, and do not want to pay for a detail all the time, then take it through a touch less; I do not think ground clearance is a problem but ask first. Good luck. Hope your tendenitis improves.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I cant stand it that now I can not fit my Z into the wash.
There is a hand wash car wash around my house where the vehicle is placed on a track and is being Hand washed only - no brushes or machines - all for $8.99 !! and they do a great job on the rims as well.....but not anymore - car wont fit....:lookinup: - So now I wash it myself - which I am not up to -....but at least it feels great once youre done....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Drakarula said:
IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WITH A c6 z06 who has tried a car wash or is that out of the question with the size of the tires? I may be a car guy but washing my car all the time myself might be dificult. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Hi Drakarula,
I recently purchased a 05 coupe from an out of state dealer(North Dakota) when the car was delivered although covered it was dusty. I took the car to a touchless car wash, the robotic wash arm did a nice job, and nothing but the sprays touched the car. There were no issues with tire size since there were'nt any tracks to deal with. for those times when doing it yourself in the driveway isn't an option this could be a alternative!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Pets0undz said:
Cheers
Dan
Another thought is to look into some of the mobile services who will come out and wash/detail your car. It's all by hand. There is service that shows up regularly in the office complex I where I work.

·
Registered
449 Posts
wcdove said:
Another thought is to look into some of the mobile services who will come out and wash/detail your car. It's all by hand. There is service that shows up regularly in the office complex I where I work.
Great point. just make sure they are insured and not some kid with a bucket and sponge.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts