Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just finish restoring 80 vette,drives the car at speeds of 70-80 mph and notice the car a bet wave on the steering,first old vette i ever had,not sure if they r all like it,install new steering valve ,hoses,steering clyinder,i thought the car would be a bet stiffer on the steering and would handle good at top end,replace all new front end,control arms,new sway bar link kit,the only thing lift is the steering box,the car dont handle like the old z28 camero,or tran am i had.do anyone have any suggestion,or is this the way the car is where the car is back in the 80s anything would help,would like to hear from some 80 drivers ,would there be anything to do with it at the back

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
did you get an alignment? improper toe and caster can cause the exact problem you are describing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a 78 and I rebuilt my front suspension over the winter including steering. I measured all of the old parts and put everything back in the same manner but it was scary to drive. Very unstable, it would track straight but something didn't seem right. The first thing I did was adjust my toe-in. (It was off about 3/4") It made a world of difference, it drove very well with the exception of the steering wheel being off center and a noticeable camber adjust was needed. (I used the old tape measure to do my bubba alignment)
Last weekend I brought it to Addison alignment and after three hours my alignment was done. My car has not driven this well ever... In the past I hated taking it on the expressway because I felt that I was fighting the wheel the whole time.
You have to make sure you get a 4 wheel alignment. My rear was off a considerable amount.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
This happened in my 77' it was steering rag joint. It had too much play, so the wheels were drifting at highway speeds. I think the kit to fix it was about $30.00. Good luck.

·
Registered
552 Posts
A lot of what you describe is often looseness in the rear suspension. And if the rear camber is off it'll track straight as an arrow but feel out of control with a little steering input on the highway.

Did the alignment shop charge a fair amount extra to disassemble the rear suspension and set it correctly, or did they reference the back when checking the front.

Both are considered "4 wheel alignment" but unless you paid several hundred labor for rear adjustment it should probably go to a shop that understands C3s. If your car isn't stock ride height it definitely needs attention to the rear camber.

good luck

·
Registered
607 Posts
A question regarding rear alignment?

how is the toe adjusted?"......is it the shims where the trailing arm connects to the frame?

·
Registered
442 Posts
A lot of the old alignment spes are terrible, too. Go to Vettes Brakes & Products website and click on the Instructions link, then the Alignment Specs link. It will open a .pdf page with alignment specs for several types of driving. Give this to the alignment shop and circle the set-up you want.

Vette Brakes and Products Instructions

1 - 11 of 11 Posts