Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I searched the forms and couldn't really find an answer. Will the Edelbrock Performer RPM for the LS motor fit under a stock C3 hood. I don't wanna deal with all the wiring hassles of the LS swap so I figure the carb is the easiest way. I know, I know, why swap an LS if you are going to run a carb, well money is tight and I want to take the easiest route. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I saw an LS engine with a manifold and a carb under the stock hood of a 1978.

He used a drop base air cleaner and what seemed like a 2" filter.

Most intake / carb combos will fit but the air cleaner needs to drop down and a fairly thin filter needs to be used.

Have you considered cowl induction? I've seen people convert stock hoods to cowl induction for purposes of cooler air and carb clearance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying not to modify the body in any way. I wanna keep it looking as stock as possible. I know it will fit under a big block hood, good to know that the air cleaner is the issue and not the carb. Thanks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hey Folks,

I searched the forms and couldn't really find an answer. Will the Edelbrock Performer RPM for the LS motor fit under a stock C3 hood. I don't wanna deal with all the wiring hassles of the LS swap so I figure the carb is the easiest way. I know, I know, why swap an LS if you are going to run a carb, well money is tight and I want to take the easiest route. Any help would be great. Thanks
From the picture I saw on the Edelbrock site I'm guessing that you would need a higher-rise hood than stock. You will still need an ignition control module from someone like MSD so I don't know how much money you will save over a complete LS engine with fuel injection. Except for having to plumb in an electric fuel pump, the LS engine only needs ~6 wiring connections to be able to run. I'd investigate the standard LS swap further before making a decision. There is a wealth of information on ls1tech.com and a huge LS swap thread over on CF Tech. It's going to run into some $ no matter how you do it, but I think the advantages of the fuel injection system far outweigh the hassle of connecting a few wires and relays.

:cheers:

Rick B.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
:agree: A Guy in my car club put a 5.3l truck engine in a 35 Chevy car and put an edelbrock Carb intake and ignition box and the setup cost around a grand with 18 MPG with a 700R4 and 3.08 gears. I personally like the fuel injection setup better. Just my $.02

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help folks, here's the problem. The motor is from a truck and the intake will not fit. Another issue is I do not have the wiring harness or the computer, so I figure by the time I get all that stuff I'm out the 650 bucks it cost for the intake and MSD box. I slready have a carb so that's one less thing. I know fuel injection will be better but like I said I am doing this on the cheep and have to spend my money in the right places. The car is a total basket case so I gotta do what I gotta do. Thanks again for all the answers. I do have access to a Bridgeport so if it's close I can make it fit. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts