Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sheet Molded Composite (SMC) that the C5 is constructed consists of fiberglass filled plastic layers. As it turns out, SMC can use carbon fiber in lieu of fiberglass. Here's a link that describes how the Comemorative Edition Z06's hood is manufactured:

Z06 Carbon Fiber Hood

The Z06 carbon fiber hood weighs 2/3 of what the fiberglass version weighs.

So what will the C6 Z06 carbon fiber body weigh?

Here is a wild guess:
I assume that the hood is 20% of the total body weight. C5's hood weighs ~30 lbs. 30 lbs * 5 = 150 lbs. 2/3 * 150 lbs = 100 lbs, or a 50 lb weight savings over the C6.

Of course, 50 lbs doesn't get the C6 below 3100 lbs, but it is real weight. Certainly to get below 3100 lbs other techniques such as polycarbonite rear glass, aluminum hydroformed frame rails, and/or magnesium and titanium components (e.g. exhaust) will be needed.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
i think titanium exhaust is almost a given seeing as the C5 Z06 already employees it...

·
Registered
30 Posts
And the body panels are on the outer-most portions of the car, just where it affects handling the most, thus weight reductions to the body panels will be very beneficial. The only place where I could see a more effective weight reduction is in rotating and unsprung mass.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts