Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you may recall, SoCaliVette was working hard on creating a Carbon Fiber Targa Top for our beloved C4's. Original Thread I'm here to present the test of this roof, including install on a frame, answer questions and be as helpful as possible to folks who have an interest. All I ask is that there is no discussion about prices.

Right up front I want to first say that SoCaliVette has done quite an amazing job laying this top and making it beautiful...I could stare at this thing for hours.

Second, I want to thank some folks who have helped out on this.

Dino's Corvette Salvage had the donor top and frame.
The folks at Melrose provided me with valuable info regarding the differences between C4 tops.
Ben's Paint Supply and Burke's Corvette had answers about the proper adhesive to use to stick the new skin to the frame.
Eckler's had the weatherstripping.

On with the build. First, I had to acquire the proper roof. ANY C4 roof will work, but the attachment location on the windshield frame has to match the design of the top. The top itself cannot be modified. Since I want to still be able to use my stock top, I needed a 84-86E top. 86L-88 is another design and 89-96 is the final design. The difference is in the way the front of the roof bolts to the windshield. So any C4 windshield frame can be modified to accept any year top.

Here's the donor top:

I simply used a stiff putty knife and a rubber mallet to separate the skin from the frame. Keep in mind, the tops are fiberglass (unless its lexan). You don't want to mess with the dust or breathe it in. There are 4 buttons attached to the skin that appear to assist in alignment. (more on alignment later) That's the only place that the putty knife won't go right though.

The top frame will need to be stripped further, be repainted and have new weather stripping installed.

Here's the new skin:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Better pictures to come later! (rain delay)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thats looks good... I've been waiting to see those tops to be tested. I thought he ran out of money :laughing:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
That looks real nice bro !! :thumbsup:

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Looking good, can't wait to see it installed. I'm pretty sure your vette is going to look amazing with the fiber up top and the fresh silver paint. Kinda jealous :D

(any carbon fiber interior pieces on the list of mods?)

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking good, can't wait to see it installed. I'm pretty sure your vette is going to look amazing with the fiber up top and the fresh silver paint. Kinda jealous :D

(any carbon fiber interior pieces on the list of mods?)
I can't wait to have this done...weekends are just a lil jammed right now and working after getting home is a slow process...

I think its gonna look killer as well. I'm telling you, the top is GORGEOUS. Definately gonna turn heads at the shows this year :thumbsup:

As far as CF interior....yea...I'm planning on getting all the plastics on the dash and center console done by American Hydrocarbon.

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i wonder if he'd do t tops for my camaro?
I can tell you that it is a long prcess to get it RIGHT. Take a look at the original thread. That will give you an idea for what is involved. To do a "once off" kinda thing might be extremely cost prohibitive...but then again, everything has a price. A mold must be made, test fitting, trials, errors, etc. Its not easy.

Honestly, my palms are sweating a lil about even getting this "skin" attached to the frame in a way that is secure so I don't loose it on the highway.

Stay tuned!

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool project :thumbsup:

I think one day I'm going to add some aluminum frame work and sheet metal on my old cracked top.
Or you can have the fiberglass I just pulled off the old frame. It'll need some filler, etc., but it could work. (unless of course, you have the Lexan top)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I take it that his is going to sell the skin only...Which is good that it can be fit to each car. What are you using to bond it?

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I take it that his is going to sell the skin only...Which is good that it can be fit to each car. What are you using to bond it?
Based on conversations with 2 shops, I'm using Windshield Adhesive...As you probably know (but for the benefit for those that don't), the C4 top is a structural element and it is under some stress when installed. SO, the adhesive has to be strong AND slightly flexible so that the top doesn't just pop off the frame under torsion flexing. I'll be sure to report how well the specific adhesive works once I get the frame restored.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Windshield Adhesive?!?!
Not that i know any better but what did socallvette recomend? hate to see that nice labor and craftsmanship just blow off cause of the kine of adheasave

we have some junk here at work that holds helo blades togather and is flexable no joke i think 3M makes it and it goes by the name of "8802"

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i checked it is mil-s-8802 this stuff will rip aluminum apart and remain flexable serious stuff
Hm...is it readily available to us mere mortals? :laughing: Interesting though...thanks for the heads up.

3M Windo-weld is what was recommended. 08609. We're taking some safety precautions to make sure there are no "flyaway" issues.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts